• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man dies after altercation with security guard at VCU Medical Center

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Man dies after altercation with security guard at VCU Medical Center

Virginia Commonwealth University issued a statement which read, "There was an incident Friday afternoon between a patient and a contract security guard in our outpatient pharmacy. The patient died yesterday as a result of the injuries.

A spokesperson at VCU added that the security guard is no longer working at the university, but could not say if he is still employed by the contracting company.

Police say charges against the security guard are expected.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/29752357...ion-with-security-guard-at-vcu-medical-center

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMHO - the VCU/MCV security staff is less than professional, poorly trained and barely supervised.

Chief John Venuti is going to have to deal with this.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What's the difference between this death and any other death? I'm not seeing why this was posted. Is there some interest in VCU for VA OCers?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What's the difference between this death and any other death? I'm not seeing why this was posted. Is there some interest in VCU for VA OCers?
Most definitely so on both campuses and Monroe Park.

VCU/MCV is prone to bend the rules and create policy out of thin air.

OC is legal outside of the buildings, on the grounds, and on the public right-of-ways, but not inside the buildings. So too are other things: smoking, passing out GSL stickers, and just resting.

Too frequently the sworn officers and private security will go one bridge too far in responding to a perceived situation. Even been told that the campus property was private property and that I should walk on the other side of the street......which was still "on campus."

PVC, Peter Nap, Skidmark and I have all had some experience with various aspects of this. Been enough interaction that I have Chief Venuti's private cell number on my phone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Most definitely so on both campuses and Monroe Park.

VCU/MCV is prone to bend the rules and create policy out of thin air.

OC is legal outside of the buildings, on the grounds, and on the public right-of-ways, but not inside the buildings. So too are other things: smoking, passing out GSL stickers, and just resting.

Too frequently the sworn officers and private security will go one bridge too far in responding to a perceived situation. Even been told that the campus property was private property and that I should walk on the other side of the street......which was still "on campus."

PVC, Peter Nap, Skidmark and I have all had some experience with various aspects of this. Been enough interaction that I have Chief Venuti's private cell number on my phone.

Thanks. I get it now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please note that there are a few different private security companies working there. I can assure you that "some" of the officers there are very well trained (if I do say so myself!)

Wasn't aware that more than one company was involved. Some of the personnel with whom I have contact were not wearing a uniform or any identification.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Wasn't aware that more than one company was involved. Some of the personnel with whom I have contact were not wearing a uniform or any identification.

There are at least 2 companies working different areas at VCU/MCV.

Uniforms will vary from company to company, but anyone in uniform should be easily identified by at least company name, patch or insignia, if I remember the Code correctly.

Edited - just heard that the company involved was different than what I had first heard.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Uniforms will vary from company to company, but anyone in uniform should be easily identified by at least company name, patch or insignia, if I remember the Code correctly.

Edited - just heard that the company involved was different than what I had first heard.
I remember two in plain, street clothes, who literally ran away when a produced by cell phone camera.

Guess they didn't want to be identified. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Some memorable quotes.

You can't smoke on this sidewalk and if you go across the street, you'll be charged with stealing that iv plugged in your arm.

You can't have that holster in here.

The chief was good when threatened with a camera.
We can't arrest you for smoking.

My favorite personal experience. You can't leave to smoke....As they huddled togher after I left...what did he call you?

Then there are the officers themselves. You can't film here, it's private property. I know it's a public school but it's private.

scooter348

Some memorable quotes.

You can't smoke on this sidewalk and if you go across the street, you'll be charged with stealing that iv plugged in your arm.

You can't have that holster in here.

The chief was good when threatened with a camera.
We can't arrest you for smoking.

My favorite personal experience. You can't leave to smoke....As they huddled togher after I left...what did he call you?

Then there are the officers themselves. You can't film here, it's private property. I know it's a public school but it's private.

These are quotes from PRIVATE security company employees? And they have arrest powers?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You know Jim, when they refuse to release information like the name of the individual or the name of the company, ALL security there goes into the same diaper.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You know Jim, when they refuse to release information like the name of the individual or the name of the company, ALL security there goes into the same diaper.
They maintain that it is their sandbox and they are covering it up/burying it as fast as they can. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They maintain that it is their sandbox and they are covering it up/burying it as fast as they can. :lol:

Knowing Jim, I'm sure he's training properly. Obviousely not all companies are that concensus though. Not releasing information just makes them all look bad.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Knowing Jim, I'm sure he's training properly. Obviousely not all companies are that concensus though. Not releasing information just makes them all look bad.
The initial training of the officers is not the problem. It is at the management level, daily supervision, were the breakdown occurs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The initial training of the officers is not the problem. It is at the management level, daily supervision, were the breakdown occurs.

That's very true Grape, but it starts with the individual. ..you can't make soup out of rocks, then the initial training. I was talking to one of the Securguard guards during Skids trial. Short, black kid who told me Skid was in the bosses reactionary zone. I asked what the hell a reactionary zone was and he said....you know, someone gets in your face...you got to react.

That's initial training and initial training of someone too stupid to empty his boot after whizzing in it at that.
Securguard had contracts with most of the state agencies until user lowered the boom...and that probably included MCV. No amount of management could make that sows ear into anything but a detached pigs ear.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Understood, but you can't blame all the companies when VCU refused to release the name of the offending company.

I'm not blaming anyone Jim. My opinion of security guards is on the low side anyway and what I have seen at MCV have been especially bad so it's not blame, just business as usual. If they have a bad company tarnishing the rest they need to fess up to it and get rid of them

That's true with everything. I constantly hear there are only a few bad dog hunters and you know my opinion about that.

It's a matter of public trust. Right now I'd say MCV has a real problem in that department. No different than securiguard. It happens I've met and talked to the supervisor the clown in Skids case replaced. He's top notch and ran a tight ship. A few bad guards multiplied and gave VDOT a black eye as well as costing the company millions of dollars.

I know your character and know you understand what I'm saying.

Last edited: