Thread: Ruger P91

Ruger P91

A coworker mentioned to me today that he has a NIB Ruger P series gun but couldn't remember what it was. He knows it's 40 S&W and i'm pretty sure it is a P91 based on when he said he bought it. It's never been fired or even carried. I realize this isn't an ideal carry piece but as with cars and motorcycles, I like old stuff.

I already have a CZ 2075 RAMI but I've got the bug and my collection is going to expand. What would a fair price for this gun be assuming it is a blued de-cocker model? I am not interested if it is DAO.

It has the 11 mags which I "would have to decline to accept" due to state legal issues. No further comments on that.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You should check the price through one of the publications designed for that purpose.
    https://bluebookofgunvalues.com/?gcl...FQ2QHwodTRkICg

OCDO is not in the business of assisting with the sale or purchase of firearms.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    I realize this isn't an ideal carry piece but as with cars and motorcycles, I like old stuff.

Not ideal carry for what that is a very subjective statement many here carry bigger everyday.

You must be young if you think P series Rugers are "old stuff".

As far as the price if you think it is fair and you like the gun buy it.

as Grape said there are many ways of pricing it.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

The design has been described as a "Brick."

Reliable
    Bulky
    Heavy
    horrible trigger with no easy remedy

Worth around $200 +- imho.

Mags interchange between a few models/generations iirc (i.e. P90 and P91). During the AWB it was common to use 40 cal mags in 9mm guns in order to carry a few extra rounds.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post

Reliable
    Bulky
    Heavy

Mags interchange between a few models/generations iirc (i.e. P90 and P91). During the AWB it was common to use 40 cal mags in 9mm guns in order to carry a few extra rounds.
    Better to have a brick and not need it, than to need a brick and not have one.

Hopda remembered to match the ammo with the gun
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I realize this isn't an ideal carry piece but as with cars and motorcycles, I like old stuff.
    I resemble that remark. My current EDC is a Ruger P85 (mk2). A big azz truck of a gun and people STILL do not notice it on my hip. Not pretty, but the sucker always goes bang when I need it. All steel and cleaned regularly, 'cause it rains a lot in Washington. Trigger pull is not a worry because I train with it. YMMV, but I am happy with it. Paid US$180 cash at a pawn shop, one of the under rated places to purchase a firearm.

As Firearms Instr said, If you like it, just buy it." "Hell, if they're for sale, I want to buy them all, I like guns."

https://youtu.be/-TC2xTCb_GU
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post

Reliable
    Bulky
    Heavy

Some people need to shoot and know more about P series P90s are 45acp P91s are 40 cal their mags are not interchangeable.

Using a 40 caliber mag with 9mm or a 9mm mag with a 40 cal one might get away with it some of the time they have different followers. Doing so is asking for malfunctions if one wants to use the same mag body and change out the follower for sure and spring if need be one could do so.

One thing ruger P series pistol are tough and reliable.

They are Double action or double single action semi autos I shot some that have nice triggers for the type a couple real great ones and a couple real mad ones.

Having been a Ruger armorer for a 500 pistol dept. I can say they work.

There are things one can do to make a better trigger pull if you get one of the real bad ones. Most of the time it is the result of a spur left on some part.

They are what they are.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

My EDC is a P97DC. Polymer frame and a sweet shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Not ideal carry for what that is a very subjective statement many here carry bigger everyday.

You must be young if you think P series Rugers are "old stuff".

As far as the price if you think it is fair and you like the gun buy it.

as Grape said there are many ways of pricing it.
    I guess I should have said "older than me", but you are correct. While the p91 isn't older than me I was barely old enough to know what a gun was.

I like guns that look and feel like, we'll, guns. I have shot at least a dozen polymer frame pistols in the past two weeks and none have felt good in my hand. I like steel and preferably stainless.

This is exactly why the RAMI ended up being my first purchase. Also, it was very reasonably priced and being 9mm practice won't break the bank.

I'm hoping to get more details on the Ruger this week and maybe get my hands on it. I don't think my coworker really wants to get a ton for it so we will see. 40 isn't the full size 1911 in 45 I wanted, but there's always more to buy.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm thinking if he wants $300 or less for it I'll be picking it up sans-magazines. I know he didn't pay much more than that when he got it new.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the P-series Rugers since the first handgun I bought was a blued Ruger P89. I now have a P90DC and a P89DC, both stainless, that I carry regularly.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm thinking if he wants $300 or less for it I'll be picking it up sans-magazines. I know he didn't pay much more than that when he got it new.
    I paid right at $300 for a like new stainless P89DC recently, so you are certainly in the ballpark.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Just saw a few pictures this morning. It's a kp91d. Stainless decoder version, Basically NIB.

He is on the fence about selling it still but I'm going to see if I can sway him.
    Last edited by adk_mechetech; 08-12-2015 at 07:38 AM.