• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P91

adk_mechetech

A coworker mentioned to me today that he has a NIB Ruger P series gun but couldn't remember what it was. He knows it's 40 S&W and i'm pretty sure it is a P91 based on when he said he bought it. It's never been fired or even carried. I realize this isn't an ideal carry piece but as with cars and motorcycles, I like old stuff.

I already have a CZ 2075 RAMI but I've got the bug and my collection is going to expand. What would a fair price for this gun be assuming it is a blued de-cocker model? I am not interested if it is DAO.

It has the 11 mags which I "would have to decline to accept" due to state legal issues. No further comments on that.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I realize this isn't an ideal carry piece but as with cars and motorcycles, I like old stuff.

Not ideal carry for what that is a very subjective statement many here carry bigger everyday.

You must be young if you think P series Rugers are "old stuff".

As far as the price if you think it is fair and you like the gun buy it.

as Grape said there are many ways of pricing it.

Dave_pro2a

The design has been described as a "Brick."

Reliable
Bulky
Heavy
horrible trigger with no easy remedy

Worth around $200 +- imho.

Mags interchange between a few models/generations iirc (i.e. P90 and P91). During the AWB it was common to use 40 cal mags in 9mm guns in order to carry a few extra rounds.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Reliable
Bulky
Heavy

Mags interchange between a few models/generations iirc (i.e. P90 and P91). During the AWB it was common to use 40 cal mags in 9mm guns in order to carry a few extra rounds.
Better to have a brick and not need it, than to need a brick and not have one.

Hopda remembered to match the ammo with the gun :uhoh:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I realize this isn't an ideal carry piece but as with cars and motorcycles, I like old stuff.

I resemble that remark. My current EDC is a Ruger P85 (mk2). A big azz truck of a gun and people STILL do not notice it on my hip. Not pretty, but the sucker always goes bang when I need it. All steel and cleaned regularly, 'cause it rains a lot in Washington. Trigger pull is not a worry because I train with it. YMMV, but I am happy with it. Paid US$180 cash at a pawn shop, one of the under rated places to purchase a firearm.

As Firearms Instr said, If you like it, just buy it." "Hell, if they're for sale, I want to buy them all, I like guns."

https://youtu.be/-TC2xTCb_GU

Firearms Iinstuctor

Reliable
Bulky
Heavy

Some people need to shoot and know more about P series P90s are 45acp P91s are 40 cal their mags are not interchangeable.

Using a 40 caliber mag with 9mm or a 9mm mag with a 40 cal one might get away with it some of the time they have different followers. Doing so is asking for malfunctions if one wants to use the same mag body and change out the follower for sure and spring if need be one could do so.

One thing ruger P series pistol are tough and reliable.

They are Double action or double single action semi autos I shot some that have nice triggers for the type a couple real great ones and a couple real mad ones.

Having been a Ruger armorer for a 500 pistol dept. I can say they work.

There are things one can do to make a better trigger pull if you get one of the real bad ones. Most of the time it is the result of a spur left on some part.

They are what they are.

adk_mechetech

Not ideal carry for what that is a very subjective statement many here carry bigger everyday.

You must be young if you think P series Rugers are "old stuff".

As far as the price if you think it is fair and you like the gun buy it.

as Grape said there are many ways of pricing it.

I guess I should have said "older than me", but you are correct. While the p91 isn't older than me I was barely old enough to know what a gun was.

I like guns that look and feel like, we'll, guns. I have shot at least a dozen polymer frame pistols in the past two weeks and none have felt good in my hand. I like steel and preferably stainless.

This is exactly why the RAMI ended up being my first purchase. Also, it was very reasonably priced and being 9mm practice won't break the bank.

I'm hoping to get more details on the Ruger this week and maybe get my hands on it. I don't think my coworker really wants to get a ton for it so we will see. 40 isn't the full size 1911 in 45 I wanted, but there's always more to buy.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm thinking if he wants $300 or less for it I'll be picking it up sans-magazines. I know he didn't pay much more than that when he got it new.

JustaShooter

I have a soft spot in my heart for the P-series Rugers since the first handgun I bought was a blued Ruger P89. I now have a P90DC and a P89DC, both stainless, that I carry regularly.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm thinking if he wants $300 or less for it I'll be picking it up sans-magazines. I know he didn't pay much more than that when he got it new.

I paid right at $300 for a like new stainless P89DC recently, so you are certainly in the ballpark.

adk_mechetech

Just saw a few pictures this morning. It's a kp91d. Stainless decoder version, Basically NIB.

He is on the fence about selling it still but I'm going to see if I can sway him.

Last edited: