• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry questions

Eddie Larko

I've heard so many different things that Ohio is considered an open carry state but then I've been told not to act on it because it could come back and bite you. I live in Geneva in ashtabula county. I'm just trying to get all the info I can on what the actual laws are. I've read the ORC and having a hard time understanding it. The assumption I'm getting is that you are aloud to OC in the state. But I guess what I'm nervous of is if I walk out my door in the city of Geneva and walk my dog around the block am I going to get arrested? I OC in my yard all the time with no issues but what about branching out further than my yard? Im a prior corrections officer in my county and I like to have my gun with me if alloud. But I refuse to get a ccw because I don't like the idea of paying some stranger to teach me things i already learned In training from the prison and my poliece academy. My academy has long since expired and no longer considered me active until I retake my whole academy witch I cannot at this exact time in my life. So what am I aloud to do OC wise......?

Thanks

Wstar425

I won't comment on Ohio law as I am not an Ohio resident. I agree, the laws are very complicated to read and understand, as they are written.

The It's a Right, but don't try to use it or people will freak out, and then you will lose that Right mentality is strong in many. It's a Right, but but but but.......

Do a search on open carry maps and you should be able to find a few links to interpretation sites of your states' laws. Not as good as reading th law itself, but as mentioned not easy either. Keep in mind that what gets put on the Internet stays there for ever, so make sure you are reading current data.

An important thing to also look at is not only can you leave your yard OC, (I believe you can in OH) but what places in particular can you NOT go into in OH. That seems to be quite different in each state. Some are universal such as Post Offices, but many such as banks and taverns/bars vary from state to state. It's all way too complicated, especially when you start traveling across state lines.

Enjoy your freedom!

Brian D.

Welcome Eddie. Open carry is indeed legal in Ohio with relatively few exceptions. The biggest one being in a car/on a motorcycle. Can't do that with a loaded handgun unless you have a concealed carry license. In theory open but not concealed carry is legal in local/county/state government buildings, but so far no individual has stepped up to be the test case for that fine point of law.

Without a carry license you'd have to stay away (armed) from any wine/beer/liquor tasting event, like at your local grocers, just as you would a regular tavern/restaurant that serves alcohol by the drink.

If you are uncertain about open carry, research and print out the applicable Ohio law sections for yourself, and keep them handy during your walks. Especially important is ORC 9.68, which preempts virtually all local gun ordinances. Also, carry a voice recorder just in case of a less-than-wonderful encounter with law enforcement. It happens pretty infrequently now, it's become obvious that any cop who claims not to know OC is perfectly legal, is lying or VERY stupid.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
but then I've been told not to act on it because it could come back and bite you

relatively few exceptions. The biggest one being in a car/on a motorcycle.
it's become obvious that any cop who claims not to know OC is perfectly legal, is lying or VERY stupid.

Welcome to OCDO Eddie. "A Right not Exercised is a Right lost" will be the mantra. Someone, at FDRs inaugural I think, once said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." So put on your big boy pants, put your pistol in your holster, and go about life as usual. Start wearing your pistol from the first thing in the morning until you get in bed. Let it become a part of you like your wallet, and stop worrying. You are doing the right thing. You, as a peaceful, open carrier, will help ease the fears of the hoplophobes. You CAN do this.

I ride a motorcycle all the time and I carry a great big P85 Ruger. Not easy to miss. We have the same stupid law that makes vehicle carry "concealed". It just causes excess and unnecessary handling for the undocumented carrier. We should petition to stop this pathway to negligent discharges.

Suckerspawn

I started open carrying in December of 2012. I started by carrying when I walked my dogs, in the dark. Soon I was carrying in the light of the day. I was sure I would be the subject of frantic 911 calls and hassle from police. I am still waiting for my first negative encounter. I have had dozens of positive encounters from pleasant conversations to car horns honking accompanied by a big thumbs-up. Carry on.

weltondl

Welcome. I live in Ashtabula and carry openly quite often. I have carried at giant eagle, walmart, circle k, lowes, you name it, I've been there... I have never had any problems with the public panicking or with law enforcement officers. I have only had compliments or thanks from the public. Follow the letter of the law. Dress and act appropriately. You are NOT allowed to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle or on a motorcycle. It must be unloaded and secured in an area inaccessible to you or a passenger. It's a pain, but it's the law. It is awkward to get out of your car at Walmart and obtain your weapon from your trunk, but most people won't notice if you are not obvious about it and time it so there isn't anyone nearby. You should do this anyhow due to situational awareness. OC or CCW, it's your choice. But carry.

caleb4387

I have had no problems carrying open. I suggest you get a permit though. Th class really only covers law so you don't have to listen to that much ho to shoot bullcrap

ADulay

..... You are NOT allowed to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle or on a motorcycle. It must be unloaded and secured in an area inaccessible to you or a passenger.

Just catching up on my Ohio reading and came across your statement. I believe that it is in error.

Unless I'm looking at an outdated version of the "Ohio Concealed Carry Law" book, it is most certainly legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle or motorcycle.

The three methods of carrying a loaded sidearm in a vehicle are listed as: (to paraphrase)---

1. In a holster on the person.

2. In a closed case, bag, box or other container in plain sight.

3. Securely encased in a closed glove compartment or console.

I may have misread or misinterpreted the original post but didn't want the author thinking it was illegal to carry a sidearm in a vehicle.

AD

solus

Just catching up on my Ohio reading and came across your statement. I believe that it is in error.
Unless I'm looking at an outdated version of the "Ohio Concealed Carry Law" book, it is most certainly legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle or motorcycle.
The three methods of carrying a loaded sidearm in a vehicle are listed as: (to paraphrase)---
1. In a holster on the person.
2. In a closed case, bag, box or other container in plain sight.
3. Securely encased in a closed glove compartment or console.
I may have misread or misinterpreted the original post but didn't want the author thinking it was illegal to carry a sidearm in a vehicle. AD

uh, Capt., since you are looking at the Buckeye state CC law book that should be your first hint...OC'g is what is being discussed and the poster was correct...he just forgot to mention those are the steps if you do not have a permit!!

if you do you may follow the guidance in the CC law book, if you don't the citizen must go through what the states ~ unload...etc.

glad the NC bloke could assist the FL bloke out.

ipse

ADulay

uh, Capt., since you are looking at the Buckeye state CC law book that should be your first hint...OC'g is what is being discussed and the poster was correct...he just forgot to mention those are the steps if you do not have a permit!!

if you do you may follow the guidance in the CC law book, if you don't the citizen must go through what the states ~ unload...etc.

glad the NC bloke could assist the FL bloke out.

ipse

Thanks. I just knew I was missing something in the "big picture".

AD