Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we tolerate this?

Why do we tolerate this?

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Presume the OP thinks we should have silencers/suppressors easily and cheaply available. I agree, but until it becomes a hot issue nothing is apt to change.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Considering NZ license laws to own firearms, and the hassles that one has to go through just to own one, I see the availability of suppressors as moot.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Considering NZ license laws to own firearms, and the hassles that one has to go through just to own one, I see the availability of suppressors as moot.
    I totally see what you mean, but I think many American legislators would definitely argue otherwise. They'd love to see firearms themselves regulated more and suppressors regulated more as well, if not "out of existence".
    Advocate freedom please

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Suppressors have only one purpose... crime. Why they are not out right banned is beyond me.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Suppressors have only one purpose... crime. Why they are not out right banned is beyond me.
    You forgot the sarcasm smiley...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

You're supposed to know that by his body language and the tone of his voice.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Sorry here you go
    Since most of the stuff I say is sarcastic and the rest is nonsensical I didn't think I needed one.
    but seriously silencers are bad
    I am deeply ashamed at the pleasure I get from shooting with mine
    stay safe

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Sorry here you go
    Since most of the stuff I say is sarcastic and the rest is nonsensical I didn't think I needed one.
    but seriously silencers are bad
    I am deeply ashamed at the pleasure I get from shooting with mine
    stay safe
    I can agree that to be true most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Deregulating suppressors needs to happen, its a health issue, and anything that can be done to prevent hearing loss, should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Presume the OP thinks we should have silencers/suppressors easily and cheaply available. I agree, but until it becomes a hot issue nothing is apt to change.
    It's not hot yet, but it's warming up. They're selling a lot in LGS's and hunting with them is becoming more popular. I hope to see them and SBR's deregulated, at least to the point of treating them like "regular" firearms, as in the UK. It takes a low level of firearms knowledge to understand the ridiculousness of current law related to SBR's and suppressors. Whereas with machine guns, it takes a higher level of gun knowledge to see the ridiculousness of current law.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

As a army sniper, I used suppressors / silencers everyday. That way I could hear if someone was coming up behind me. If I had used earmuffs or earplugs I would not have heard anybody around me or at least not that well. Yes suppressors and silencers can be used in crimes. Most of the people using weapons of any caliber are using them on the firing range or as self defense. When I use my silencer is to protect my hearing for one and number 2 it allows me the safety of knowing what's going on around me with unblock ears.

I believe silencers should be regulated but only to the extent that of a criminal background, weapon type, and the weapon it will be used on the the license to own a weapon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by armysniper5752; 08-18-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by armysniper5752 View Post
    As a army sniper, I used suppressors / silencers everyday. That way I could hear if someone was coming up behind me. If I had used earmuffs or earplugs I would not have heard anybody around me or at least not that well. Yes suppressors and silencers can be used in crimes. Most of the people using weapons of any caliber are using them on the firing range or as self defense. When I use my silencer is to protect my hearing for one and number 2 it allows me the safety of knowing what's going on around me with unblock ears.

I believe silencers should be regulated but only to the extent that of a criminal background, weapon type, and the weapon it will be used on the the license to own a weapon.

Welcome to OCDO armysniper5752 - thank you for your service too.

Most will agree with a criminal background being a limiting factor/restriction (gun ownership & possession are already restricted), but don't see type having anything to do with it and "license to own" is totally abhorrent.

The purpose is hearing protection, not crime facilitating. How many street criminals use suppressors as part of their bag of tricks?

Suppressors have a logical use for hunters too.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-19-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Most will agree with a criminal background being a limiting factor/restriction (gun ownership & possession are already restricted), but don't see type having anything to do with it and "license to own" is totally abhorrent.

The purpose is hearing protection, not crime facilitating. How many street criminals use suppressors as part of their bag of tricks?

Oh oh oh is the answer that they can't afford the $200 tax stamp?????

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Oh oh oh is the answer that they can't afford the $200 tax stamp?????
    I don't tink so.

What I am talking about when I say "type" is "pistol or rifle". most times when a criminal uses a weapon to commit a crime it's a pistol. so rifle silencers should not be regulated as far as I'm concerned, but pistol silencers should. Putting the $200 tax on any silencer or suppressor it's just stupid.

I have narrow ear canals. So air plugs are a no go. Also over ear protection is just cumbersome and they just tend to fall off if you're running drills. In real world application the over ear protection will not protect you hearing if you have to protect yourself in a quick and exact way.

As an example, in a home break in you will not put on ear protection you would just grab your firearm to protect yourself and whoever else is in the house. In this case a silencer or suppressor would be ideal in protecting your ears.

As you can see in this video it illustrates what I'm talking about when it comes to criminals, pistols, normal people, and rifles.

P.S. wish the homeowner had inside camera.

I believe silencers should be regulated
    Me too...by silencer manufacturers to ensure a quality product.

Originally Posted by armysniper5752

I believe silencers should be regulated
    Me too...by silencer manufacturers to ensure a quality product.
    What, speak up, I can't hear you

Remove the restrictions and the tax stamp - then the price(s) will fall. They're not expensive to make - the market will self level.

there is always the 2 liter bottle silencer if your really brave... and creative.. really cheap and you get a refreshing drink to boot.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding that criminals do not obey the law, that is why they are criminals. Sheeeesh!
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

What, speak up, I can't hear you

Remove the restrictions and the tax stamp - then the price(s) will fall. They're not expensive to make - the market will self level.
    No doubt about. The one's I've seen couldn't cost more than $50 if they were semi-mass produced.
    Probably much less.

No doubt about. The one's I've seen couldn't cost more than $50 if they were semi-mass produced.
    Probably much less.
    I can make a silencer with items that at max cost only $5. It Is pretty simple to make. All you need is a tube some end caps and some baffles most likely cardboard or steel wool and a drill press so the bullet can pass through the end caps. Then A Open screw to screw into the barrel.

Pretty simple to make I have a license to carry a silencer and concealed carry. I never bought a silencer or suppressor. I always made mine and they professional.

--snipped--

Pretty simple to make I have a license to carry a silencer and concealed carry. I never bought a silencer or suppressor. I always made mine and they professional.

Please cite as to license to carry a silencer

Seems as if you are implying that you CC the gun pictured above with silencer/suppressor installed.

uh, one hopes you did not just post on a public forum where you have violated federal law (NAF) by showing you are a manufacturer of suppressor(s)?

one further hopes you have appropriate NAF registration & tax documents for said home made suppressor shown on the firearm?

one would hope you're not truly that stuck on stupid...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 08-27-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    there is always the 2 liter bottle silencer if your really brave... and creative.. really cheap and you get a refreshing drink to boot.
    i have 'read' these have been used for years ~ one time use normally...or so i have 'read'...

tho, so i have 'read' the newer smaller gatoraid plastic ones are easier to use...or so i have 'read'...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast