• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do we tolerate this?

WalkingWolf

Considering NZ license laws to own firearms, and the hassles that one has to go through just to own one, I see the availability of suppressors as moot.

stealthyeliminator

Considering NZ license laws to own firearms, and the hassles that one has to go through just to own one, I see the availability of suppressors as moot.

I totally see what you mean, but I think many American legislators would definitely argue otherwise. They'd love to see firearms themselves regulated more and suppressors regulated more as well, if not "out of existence".

twoskinsonemanns

Suppressors have only one purpose... crime. Why they are not out right banned is beyond me.

twoskinsonemanns

You forgot the sarcasm smiley...

Sorry here you go :rolleyes:
Since most of the stuff I say is sarcastic and the rest is nonsensical I didn't think I needed one. :rolleyes:
but seriously silencers are bad :rolleyes:
I am deeply ashamed at the pleasure I get from shooting with mine :rolleyes:
stay safe :rolleyes:

OC Freedom

Deregulating suppressors needs to happen, its a health issue, and anything that can be done to prevent hearing loss, should be.:D

77zach

Presume the OP thinks we should have silencers/suppressors easily and cheaply available. I agree, but until it becomes a hot issue nothing is apt to change.

It's not hot yet, but it's warming up. They're selling a lot in LGS's and hunting with them is becoming more popular. I hope to see them and SBR's deregulated, at least to the point of treating them like "regular" firearms, as in the UK. It takes a low level of firearms knowledge to understand the ridiculousness of current law related to SBR's and suppressors. Whereas with machine guns, it takes a higher level of gun knowledge to see the ridiculousness of current law.

armysniper5752

As a army sniper, I used suppressors / silencers everyday. That way I could hear if someone was coming up behind me. If I had used earmuffs or earplugs I would not have heard anybody around me or at least not that well. Yes suppressors and silencers can be used in crimes. Most of the people using weapons of any caliber are using them on the firing range or as self defense. When I use my silencer is to protect my hearing for one and number 2 it allows me the safety of knowing what's going on around me with unblock ears.

I believe silencers should be regulated but only to the extent that of a criminal background, weapon type, and the weapon it will be used on the the license to own a weapon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a army sniper, I used suppressors / silencers everyday. That way I could hear if someone was coming up behind me. If I had used earmuffs or earplugs I would not have heard anybody around me or at least not that well. Yes suppressors and silencers can be used in crimes. Most of the people using weapons of any caliber are using them on the firing range or as self defense. When I use my silencer is to protect my hearing for one and number 2 it allows me the safety of knowing what's going on around me with unblock ears.

I believe silencers should be regulated but only to the extent that of a criminal background, weapon type, and the weapon it will be used on the the license to own a weapon.

Welcome to OCDO armysniper5752 - thank you for your service too.

Most will agree with a criminal background being a limiting factor/restriction (gun ownership & possession are already restricted), but don't see type having anything to do with it and "license to own" is totally abhorrent.

The purpose is hearing protection, not crime facilitating. How many street criminals use suppressors as part of their bag of tricks?

Suppressors have a logical use for hunters too.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Most will agree with a criminal background being a limiting factor/restriction (gun ownership & possession are already restricted), but don't see type having anything to do with it and "license to own" is totally abhorrent.

The purpose is hearing protection, not crime facilitating. How many street criminals use suppressors as part of their bag of tricks?

Oh oh oh is the answer that they can't afford the $200 tax stamp?????

armysniper5752

What I am talking about when I say "type" is "pistol or rifle". most times when a criminal uses a weapon to commit a crime it's a pistol. so rifle silencers should not be regulated as far as I'm concerned, but pistol silencers should. Putting the $200 tax on any silencer or suppressor it's just stupid.

I have narrow ear canals. So air plugs are a no go. Also over ear protection is just cumbersome and they just tend to fall off if you're running drills. In real world application the over ear protection will not protect you hearing if you have to protect yourself in a quick and exact way.

As an example, in a home break in you will not put on ear protection you would just grab your firearm to protect yourself and whoever else is in the house. In this case a silencer or suppressor would be ideal in protecting your ears.

As you can see in this video it illustrates what I'm talking about when it comes to criminals, pistols, normal people, and rifles.

P.S. wish the homeowner had inside camera.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by armysniper5752

I believe silencers should be regulated

Me too...by silencer manufacturers to ensure a quality product.
What, speak up, I can't hear you :p

Remove the restrictions and the tax stamp - then the price(s) will fall. They're not expensive to make - the market will self level.

Ezek

there is always the 2 liter bottle silencer if your really brave... and creative.. really cheap and you get a refreshing drink to boot.

WalkingWolf

Why do people have such a hard time understanding that criminals do not obey the law, that is why they are criminals. Sheeeesh!