Thread: "Why democracy can’t be democratic all the way down – and why it matters."

"Why democracy can’t be democratic all the way down – and why it matters."

Ilya Somin, The Volokh Conspiracy
    By Ilya Somin August 12 at 2:01 PM - Recent debates over the meaning of “one person, one vote” and the lessons of ancient Greek democracy for the modern world highlight an important truth about democracy: it can’t be democratic all the way down. Lincoln famously said that democracy is “government of the people, by the people, for the people.” But before “the people” can govern anything, someone has to decide who counts as a member of the people, what powers they have, and what rules they will vote under. And that someone usually turns out to be a small group of elites. Just as the world can’t be held up by “turtles all the way down,” so a political system can’t be democratic all the way down.
    [ ... ][my emphasis]
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hy-it-matters/

... for instance, in a democracy the right to vote in the public assembly is either confined by no census at all, or limited by a very small one; in an oligarchy none enjoy it but those whose census is high: therefore, as these two practices are contrary to each other, a census between each may be established in such a state. Aristotle, Politics: A TREATISE ON GOVERNMENT, Book IV, Chapter 9, 1294b https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/6762/pg6762.txt Accessed 08/13/2015

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...0by%20election.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

If democracy here indeed went all the way down, we'd have probably voted away more of our rights by now.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Ummm...technically we are a Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    What does that have to do with the elect, and election, and enfranchisement, and the vote, the topic at hand?

Are YOU familiar with the foundation of republic, a Plato's The Republic (Greek: Πολιτεία, Politeia; Latin: De Republica)?

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1497 the Jowett (d. 1893) translation that I use.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Seems to me the Founders referenced Plato and his The Republic but studiously avoided trying to replicate it. Just as it seems to me Lincoln and all those Reconstructionists bowed down before the 14th Amendment but did almost didly-squat in the beginning to give some teeth to it, which set up most our civil rights history from then through today.

The aggregation of people had just finished whipping King George's butt when they were told who would be representing them and how those representatives would be chosen. I recall a whole lot of discussion about the form of the government but seem to disremember any great outcries against the choosing of the elites to represent the rabble.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    I thought that was the whole point of the thread; why were aren't, and shouldn't be, a true democracy.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip