Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble at the BC border.

Trouble at the BC border.

Let me start this by saying clearly: I blame no one but myself.

That said, a couple of Sundays ago, I went shooting with a couple of young guys from my work. One is a relatively new shooter whose experience is mostly limited to .22 rifles. I have found that my AK is a fun spray gun, especially for new shooters, and I had some extra ammo, so I brought it along with my "extras" bag.

To make a long story shorter, somehow three of my 30 round mags were placed in the bag with my board games, and I missed them when I unloaded the car. Fast forward to Tuesday night (the beginning of my work "weekend") and I am in a hurry to get to my girlfriend's house in Vancouver. I am a frequent visitor, and I go up every week or two.

With Murphy in full effect, I was selected for a search. I put the dog in the kennel, grabbed a book, and without a care in the world settled in one of their uncomfortable chair to catch up on a chapter. I was not worried, as I was very careful to place my EDC in the safe before I left, and was even careful to shed my pocketknife before leaving home.

I was a bit lost in the text when the border officer, along with two of his friends, returned to have me empty my pockets and show them my waist band. It seems THEY found my mags, and proceeded to very thoroughly search my car. Three hours later, they cleared me. They believed that I had no intention of smuggling the mags, so they did not arrest me, and they even let me enter Canada.

The bad news: It seems that 30 round magazines are highly prohibited in Canada. If discovered they are, of course, confiscated. Also, the fine is $500 PER MAGAZINE. Finally, I will probably be searched every time I drive across that border from now on.

Expensive lesson.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for sharing your mistake to give us a heads-up / reminder.

I have been waiting for you to "come clean" about this incident. It will be a great learning tool for us all, living this close to the border.
    I, personally, get very anal aboat going over the border. I do not do it often and I always take "extra care" going over the vehicle. Brian got complacent, the devil in us all, and it has cost him dearly.
    Anyone else had an incident at the border?

this is the fine for thre AK mags going into Canada,eh?
    Attachment 12717
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

One word: Ouch!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    One word: Ouch!
    Yeah, now repeat that 1,499 more times, and you will feel my pain. [emoji6]
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Yikes!

Glad they let you out alive.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I guess I'm lucky not to have been water boarded with maple syrup!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    Yeah, now repeat that 1,499 more times, and you will feel my pain. [emoji6]
    If you are free and not in Canada why pay the $1500 fine?
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

That's why I thoroughly search my vehicle before I head to Canada,

But then I only go about twice a year.

I don't want any unexpected surprise's with left over pistols rounds ect.

Sorry it happened a good reminder to look twice.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post

I would guess so he can go back.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

^^^ ding, ding, give that man a prize.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    Because Canada and the US have extradition treaties?

I guess I'm lucky not to have been water boarded with maple syrup!
    Ok, THAT deserves a

Go back?

GF is not permitted into the US?

Hmm...time for e change it seems.

Canada is no friend of liberty and is to be avoided...in my view.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Yikes

Expensive mistake indeed. I am glad they decided to "make it sting" rather than completely make an example out of you like I hear about a few Americans accidentally crossing the Mexican border. When I was living in Arizona, I went to Mexico fairly often (was dating a Mexican national at the time) so I was adamant about checking my vehicle every trip for ammunition, utility knives, and spent brass. They have police and military checkpoints everywhere in northern Baja and Sonora and I got searched a few times and never had a problem.

On my last trip to Canada, I was profiled as someone who carries a firearm in the US. It sounded like the guard wanted to make small talk as there was no one else at the border station, but it wouldn't surprise me if I got searched the next time I cross (whenever that happens to be). Truth be told, despite Canada's restrictions, I'd rather go through the hassle with them than risk transiting a state like New York or New Jersey. How sad is that?
    Last edited by acmariner99; 08-17-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Go back?

No, GF is permitted, but work schedules don't match. I found one crazy enough to claim me, not gonna change.

No, GF is permitted, but work schedules don't match. I found one crazy enough to claim me, not gonna change.
    I believe Canadian citizens have unrestricted access to the US with the proper ID - stay for 6 months for business or pleasure provided they aren't working for a US employer themselves.

I digress. - Crossing borders with firearms is big issue. What about getting a Canadian license?

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    I digress. - Crossing borders with firearms is big issue. What about getting a Canadian license?
    Ok, it's confession time.

One time a number of years ago (The statute of limitations has expired and I'll deny it anyway) I forgot that I had my deer rifle in the back of my vehicle when returning home to Washington from Montana. We decided to take the Scenic Route home and entered Canada at Port Hill Idaho, and for some reason the question was never asked because if it had I probably would have freaked out.

We got all the way to Osoyoos and was approaching the US border when I remembered what I had in back. Again the border guard never asked about firearms, so we made it through untouched but boy was I nervous. Today with all the detectors they have at border crossings I would probably have been toast.

I'm not sure what US Customs would have done, but do know for sure had Canadian Customs or any Mounties found it, I would have been in a mell of a hess.

From that point on I always give my vehicles a good search before heading north. I even have one I won't take across the border no matter what, as I'm sure there are a few shells I've lost over the years hiding in a crevice somewhere.
    Last edited by Right Wing Wacko; 08-17-2015 at 05:42 PM.

^^^ ding, ding, give that man a prize.^^^
    The problem being you may not be able to go back for the next 10 years, you need to contact a lawyer before you go back. It may take a month or more for your felony (indictable offence) conviction to work its way through the Canadian court system and prohibit your travel to Canada.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Whoa! Nobody said anything about a felony! There were no charges.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Go back?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Ok, it's confession time.

One time a number of years ago (The statute of limitations has expired and I'll deny it anyway) I forgot that I had my deer rifle in the back of my vehicle when returning home to Washington from Montana. We decided to take the Scenic Route home and entered Canada at Port Hill Idaho, and for some reason the question was never asked because if it had I probably would have freaked out.

We got all the way to Osoyoos and was approaching the US border when I remembered what I had in back. Again the border guard never asked about firearms, so we made it through untouched but boy was I nervous. Today with all the detectors they have at border crossings I would probably have been toast.

I'm not sure what US Customs would have done, but do know for sure had Canadian Customs or any Mounties found it, I would have been in a mell of a hess.

From that point on I always give my vehicles a good search before heading north. I even have one I won't take across the border no matter what, as I'm sure there are a few shells I've lost over the years hiding in a crevice somewhere.
    Actually, as long as it is not a semi-automatic and you had told the Mounties about it, all you have to do is fill out a form, give them 25 bucks, and say that you are just transiting Canada and you're good to go. The crime as far as Canada is concerned is not telling them you have it in the first place. I don't know if the onus is on you to tell them regardless of whether you get asked or not. I've thought about driving the AK highway and do not want to get that far into the middle of nowhere unarmed so I did my homework. All US Customs would ask is "did you have item xyz before you entered Canada."

Whoa! Nobody said anything about a felony! There were no charges.
    What does a lack of charges have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    What does a lack of charges have to do with anything?
    I was responding to Jeff's post about being denied entry for ten years and needing a lawyer. I simply wanted to reiterate the fact that there were no legal charges filed; thus, I did not need legal intercession.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    I'm not sure what US Customs would have done, but do know for sure had Canadian Customs or any Mounties found it, I would have been in a mell of a hess..
    In medieval times I was stationed on a small island in the Pacific. My Sweet Baboo had to make a trip to England for family reasons. I slipped a Claymore Mine (training) M18A1 in her suitcase and the instructions were to trade for stuff with a Brit Army recruiter. She went thru Guam Int'l, Tokyo, and then Heathrow and not one person noticed. But that was pre-911.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    In medieval times I was stationed on a small island in the Pacific. My Sweet Baboo had to make a trip to England for family reasons. I slipped a Claymore Mine (training) M18A1 in her suitcase and the instructions were to trade for stuff with a Brit Army recruiter. She went thru Guam Int'l, Tokyo, and then Heathrow and not one person noticed. But that was pre-911.
    Don't worry about it:

TSA chief out is after screeners fail 95 percent of tests 3:26
    The acting head of the Transportation Security Administration was reassigned Monday after an internal investigation by the Department of Homeland Security found security failures at dozens of the nation's busiest airports. The breaches allowed undercover investigators to smuggle weapons, fake explosives and other contraband through numerous checkpoints.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...hrough-n367851
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast