• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trouble at the BC border.

acmariner99

Ok, it's confession time.

One time a number of years ago (The statute of limitations has expired and I'll deny it anyway) I forgot that I had my deer rifle in the back of my vehicle when returning home to Washington from Montana. We decided to take the Scenic Route home and entered Canada at Port Hill Idaho, and for some reason the question was never asked because if it had I probably would have freaked out.

We got all the way to Osoyoos and was approaching the US border when I remembered what I had in back. Again the border guard never asked about firearms, so we made it through untouched but boy was I nervous. Today with all the detectors they have at border crossings I would probably have been toast.

I'm not sure what US Customs would have done, but do know for sure had Canadian Customs or any Mounties found it, I would have been in a mell of a hess.

From that point on I always give my vehicles a good search before heading north. I even have one I won't take across the border no matter what, as I'm sure there are a few shells I've lost over the years hiding in a crevice somewhere.

Actually, as long as it is not a semi-automatic and you had told the Mounties about it, all you have to do is fill out a form, give them 25 bucks, and say that you are just transiting Canada and you're good to go. The crime as far as Canada is concerned is not telling them you have it in the first place. I don't know if the onus is on you to tell them regardless of whether you get asked or not. I've thought about driving the AK highway and do not want to get that far into the middle of nowhere unarmed so I did my homework. All US Customs would ask is "did you have item xyz before you entered Canada."

Boomboy007

What does a lack of charges have to do with anything?
I was responding to Jeff's post about being denied entry for ten years and needing a lawyer. I simply wanted to reiterate the fact that there were no legal charges filed; thus, I did not need legal intercession.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure what US Customs would have done, but do know for sure had Canadian Customs or any Mounties found it, I would have been in a mell of a hess..

In medieval times I was stationed on a small island in the Pacific. My Sweet Baboo had to make a trip to England for family reasons. I slipped a Claymore Mine (training) M18A1 in her suitcase and the instructions were to trade for stuff with a Brit Army recruiter. She went thru Guam Int'l, Tokyo, and then Heathrow and not one person noticed. But that was pre-911.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
In medieval times I was stationed on a small island in the Pacific. My Sweet Baboo had to make a trip to England for family reasons. I slipped a Claymore Mine (training) M18A1 in her suitcase and the instructions were to trade for stuff with a Brit Army recruiter. She went thru Guam Int'l, Tokyo, and then Heathrow and not one person noticed. But that was pre-911.

Don't worry about it:

TSA chief out is after screeners fail 95 percent of tests 3:26
The acting head of the Transportation Security Administration was reassigned Monday after an internal investigation by the Department of Homeland Security found security failures at dozens of the nation's busiest airports. The breaches allowed undercover investigators to smuggle weapons, fake explosives and other contraband through numerous checkpoints.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

Jeff Hayes

I was responding to Jeff's post about being denied entry for ten years and needing a lawyer. I simply wanted to reiterate the fact that there were no legal charges filed; thus, I did not need legal intercession.

I am just worried about your situation, when you pay the fine you have admitted to attempting to enter the country with hi cap magazines. Not consulting an attorney may have long lasting consequences. Trust me when I say I hope I am wrong.

Boomboy007

Actually, as long as it is not a semi-automatic and you had told the Mounties about it, all you have to do is fill out a form, give them 25 bucks, and say that you are just transiting Canada and you're good to go. The crime as far as Canada is concerned is not telling them you have it in the first place. I don't know if the onus is on you to tell them regardless of whether you get asked or not. I've thought about driving the AK highway and do not want to get that far into the middle of nowhere unarmed so I did my homework. All US Customs would ask is "did you have item xyz before you entered Canada."
The problem would also be on the US side. You need to fill out, in advance, a US*CBP*FORM*4457, "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad"

From GSSafaris: "One of the most important forms the International Hunter or fisherman will need is the US Customs and Border Control Form 4457. This is a small form (5.5”x4.24”) is proof that the equipment listed on the form was purchased and owned in the United States. The significance of this document is to keep U.S. Customs and Border Protection from thinking you may have bought the items abroad and thus charging you U.S. Duty (Tax) upon reentry into the United States. If you are a hunter and will be carrying a firearm(s), the form will also tell the US Customs and Border Patrol agent that the firearms listed on the From 4457 have been checked thru the U.S. Stolen Firearms database and the firearm is in a “legal” status."

BobR

The problem would also be on the US side. You need to fill out, in advance, a US*CBP*FORM*4457, "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad"

From GSSafaris: "One of the most important forms the International Hunter or fisherman will need is the US Customs and Border Control Form 4457. This is a small form (5.5”x4.24”) is proof that the equipment listed on the form was purchased and owned in the United States. The significance of this document is to keep U.S. Customs and Border Protection from thinking you may have bought the items abroad and thus charging you U.S. Duty (Tax) upon reentry into the United States. If you are a hunter and will be carrying a firearm(s), the form will also tell the US Customs and Border Patrol agent that the firearms listed on the From 4457 have been checked thru the U.S. Stolen Firearms database and the firearm is in a “legal” status."

What he said. I used to go to Alberta to shoot gophers (just don't tell that to Canadian Border People) and had my sort of high dollar stuff like rifle, scope and laptop papered on the US side of the border before I went over. It may or may not have made it easier coming back, I just showed the paper when stopped and always got waved through to go home.

bob

EMNofSeattle

Go back?

GF is not permitted into the US?

Hmm...time for e change it seems.

Canada is no friend of liberty and is to be avoided...in my view.

actually in many cases they're better then the US.

not on gun rights, but gun rights alone do not comprise freedom. people in Pakistan can own and freely carry guns, please make the argument they're more free then people in Canada...

EMNofSeattle

Whoa! Nobody said anything about a felony! There were no charges.

There doesn't need to be, and in addition to what Jeff said any border officer can deny you entry for any reason s/he wants.

I do not know the Canadian justice system well enough to know this, but anywhere in the US paying a fine means you've pled guilty to what they cited you for, what you're saying sounds like it would be called "Bribery" or "highway robbery" in the US, and I don't believe Canada is a country crawling with corrupt officials. you need to consult a lawyer, preferable a Canadian one skilled in immigration issues.

I'm having a hard time believing that you would be fined without ever being charged in some manner with the offense. if I woke up in your shoes tommorow I would verify these things and how their justice system works before you attempt to go back. just because THAT particular officer let you in doesn't mean your name isn't being entered into some computer somewhere. and if they ask you "have you been charged with a crime" next time you go, and their computer says yes and you say no, well you just lied to CBSA.

OC for ME

actually in many cases they're better then the US.

not on gun rights, but gun rights alone do not comprise freedom. people in Pakistan can own and freely carry guns, please make the argument they're more free then people in Canada...
You may have a point, on the surface. Have you lived in Canada? I have, for over a year, in Halifax. Nice folks, know their place and how the state strives for a orderly and well manner society.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/18/united-states-drops-in-overall-freedom-ranking/

Canada has a very well trained population. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...the-embodiment-of-compromise/article22520419/

Our 2A right is the cornerstone in maintaining our individual liberty. Why do you think the state works relentlessly to infringe upon this right. Our founders understood this and enshrined our natural right to keep and bear arms. Diminishing the importance of the 2A, as you do in your post, is emblematic of the view that all of our natural rights, especially those enumerated in the BoR, are to be seen by the state as privileges.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-12.3/FullText.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Bill_of_Rights

A little research will reveal that Canada does not respect individual liberty as much as New York City does.

OC for ME

... just because THAT particular officer let you in doesn't mean your name isn't being entered into some computer somewhere. and if they ask you "have you been charged with a crime" next time you go, and their computer says yes and you say no, well you just lied to CBSA.
Ironic that you do not realize the contradiction in your statement given that you have claimed that "actually in many cases they're [Canada] better then the US." Canadians will document a crime where no due process to determine one way or the other has occurred. Not very liberty centric.

By the way, Canada did not have a
to-quote-smiley-emoticon.gif
Bill of Rights
to-quote-smiley-emoticon.gif
until 1960.

Boomboy007

Just to be clear, while I was not charged with a crime (due to officer's discretion; he did not believe that I INTENDED to smuggle the mags), it WAS properly an infraction, and that is the mechanism by which one can be fined but not charged. That said, I am quite sure that I am now on a "naughty" list, and foresee more frequent searches of my vehicle in my future northward travels. Oddly, one thing I forgot to mention in my original post: After arriving home, I cleared my trunk and realized that they had not even mentioned the 25+ rounds of 12 gauge buckshot, or the dozens of .38 special and .357 mag rounds that had been placed in the same bag. Weird, eh?

leitung

I have been to Canada 2 times, once with a buddy and once with my current GF. Been yanked into secondary both times. Both times it was a cake walk for me honestly, I check and re check everything when I cross the border. Make sure no shell cases, knives, ammo or anything in the vehicle. I don't know what the rules and penalties are so I am extra careful.

Last time I got a full run down of questions about my gun, where it is now, last time I had a gun in the vehicle, what kind, E.T.C. I just answered truthfully and enjoyed watching them search my truck with a smile on my face. I was on my way in less than 15 mins. No biggie.

I keep it mind it isn't my country, and me being there is a privilege, not a right.