• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"5 Reasons I Will Never Open Carry"

OC Freedom

These 'reasons' are ridiculous. What the Hell?

5 Reasons I Will Never Open Carry

Ya, I saw this article this morning and thought here's another ignorant @sshat.

This reminds me being at the checkout out line at Home Depot and the guy in front of me is wearing a t-shirt with some advertisement in large print promoting concealed carry. He was also wearing a baseball cap with the same type of message supporting concealed carry. His t-shirt was not tucked in and it was tight enough to see clearly that he was carrying a full sized 1911 style of pistol on his right hip. As the guy is checking out, he clearly notices that I'm open carrying, so I smile and nod to him, he give's me this look of disgust, finishes checking out and heads out the door. I found the whole thing very funny. Such a staunch supporter of concealed carry and he's printing so even a five year old knows what it is under his shirt. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Haven't we heard all of this before? Yep - OC is bad and will just cause you problems [sarcism]

Brandon (the author) is not really a bad guy, but he does paint things in a way favorable to his blog.....even if he omits key information.

Witness his reference to an OCer who was robbed of his new pistol (It’s happened before.). What Brandon omits is that the gun was not loaded, it was a fancy paper weight.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...tolen-open-carrier-wasnt-loaded-required-law/

Wonder what Brandon would have done differently if a BG got the drop on him and took his gun in the process.

Whether you OC or CC (frequently I am doing both) situational awareness must be fine tuned.

Last edited:

STLDaniel

I primarily carry conceal, for similar reasons as the poster, but the reasoning probably could have been explained better than he did. I train using both open carry and conceal carry holsters, and there's significant tactical trade offs to each. Both Open and Conceal have pros and cons, and the more willing you are to accept that, the better decision you can make for the situations and environments you are in. Unfortunately, very few blogs or posts from either side seem willing to be honest about the downsides to their chosen carry approach.

nobama

Well I have alot to say about this subject. I too CC and OC but one of the reasons given "I dont want to draw attention to myself" OK lets go with that one. People do things that draw attention ALL the time, cars they drive, motorcycles they ride, clothes they wear, hair color ect, so that doesnt fly with me. Another one, "it will make you a target" Really? how about a purse or cell phone, the car you drive, motorcycle you ride, shoes you wear, jewlery, all can make you a target. "it scares people" so what, men and women didnt die for peoples feelings. The Anti-Americans have made the gun into something evil, something we should hide, so OC reverses this as more and more people OC, going about their daily lives. It shows we are a free society (at least for now). So the big question, what does CC do to promote the Second Amendment? IMHO, nothing. I realize that the first reason for carrying a gun is for self protection, but we are in a fight right now and I believe we need to be on offense, we dont need to cower because it might make someone uncomfortable, we dang sure dont need to listen to some of the so-called experts telling us things like "you lose your element of surprise" HMM, when the stuff hits the fan, anybody thats there will be the one surprised. Its not hard to learn I am a huge proponent of OC. It is Liberty in a nutshell, and I will bet, the more people start to do it, the more people will realize its really not a big deal, only a few make it one and most comes from the CC only crowd.

B

Bikenut

See my sig line. Make no mistake... those who denigrate open carry/carriers really do want gun control because they want to control how (dominate) people are...... allowed...... to bear arms.

Same old "do it my way because I said so" BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I primarily carry conceal, for similar reasons as the poster, but the reasoning probably could have been explained better than he did. I train using both open carry and conceal carry holsters, and there's significant tactical trade offs to each. Both Open and Conceal have pros and cons, and the more willing you are to accept that, the better decision you can make for the situations and environments you are in. Unfortunately, very few blogs or posts from either side seem willing to be honest about the downsides to their chosen carry approach.

Well I have alot to say about this subject. I too CC and OC but one of the reasons given "I dont want to draw attention to myself" OK lets go with that one. People do things that draw attention ALL the time, cars they drive, motorcycles they ride, clothes they wear, hair color ect, so that doesnt fly with me. Another one, "it will make you a target" Really? how about a purse or cell phone, the car you drive, motorcycle you ride, shoes you wear, jewlery, all can make you a target. "it scares people" so what, men and women didnt die for peoples feelings. The Anti-Americans have made the gun into something evil, something we should hide, so OC reverses this as more and more people OC, going about their daily lives. It shows we are a free society (at least for now). So the big question, what does CC do to promote the Second Amendment? IMHO, nothing. I realize that the first reason for carrying a gun is for self protection, but we are in a fight right now and I believe we need to be on offense, we dont need to cower because it might make someone uncomfortable, we dang sure dont need to listen to some of the so-called experts telling us things like "you lose your element of surprise" HMM, when the stuff hits the fan, anybody thats there will be the one surprised. Its not hard to learn I am a huge proponent of OC. It is Liberty in a nutshell, and I will bet, the more people start to do it, the more people will realize its really not a big deal, only a few make it one and most comes from the CC only crowd.
Personally I do not care whether someone OCs, CCs, ot noCs. I do not insult people for their choices, nor speak ill of them. I try to be courteous and patient - I expect the same consideration.

What I do care most fervently about is defending our RKBA and to carry in the manner of my choosing everywhere legally possible.

I OC 24/7 for personal protection AND for the educational value. Almost daily I have the opportunity to interact with those who want to know more - it is what I do. If I were CCing, they would have little reason to approach me.

WalkingWolf

I have taken the approach of not trying to reason with OC haters. I tell them it is not their choice, and there is not a damn thing they can do about it. Makes life a lot easier than trying to talk to a brick wall.

stealthyeliminator

Personally I do not care whether someone OCs, CCs, ot noCs. I do not insult people for their choices, nor speak ill of them. I try to be courteous and patient - I expect the same consideration.

Can definitely agree with you there.
---

Saw someone say that all 5 points were essentially the same, and I can see what they mean.

This appears to be little more than just another "article" to roll your eyes at and forget about. There's not much substance to it. Just another guy who happened to get his more or less worthless opinion posted on a website with a catchy domain name.

garand_guy

Most of these objections are cops' objections that have worked their way into concealed carry culture and instructors' curriculum. A cop doesn't want to be recognized off duty. He truly can and will be targeted, so it's in his favor to conceal carry and look like somebody else. As for anyone else who is situationally aware, a lot of this doesn't really apply. It boils down to choice and comfort level. Either you are comfortable letting people see your gun or you aren't. None of these reasons make enough sense to make open carry a bad idea. I'm really sick of seeing this garbage repeated. A hundred years ago, the majority opinion would be: "Five Reasons Why Concealed Pistols Make Thee Into a Scoundrel."

mnrobitaille

I have taken the approach of not trying to reason with OC haters. I tell them it is not their choice, and there is not a damn thing they can do about it. Makes life a lot easier than trying to talk to a brick wall.

I am going through that fight right now with a family member who says "Why open carry? It only draws more attention to you!"

The other big problem especially for those who OC is all the hoplophobic businesses & their "No Firearms/Weapons/Guns Allowed" signs that criminalize the law-abiding gun carrier.

twoskinsonemanns

Well I have alot to say about this subject. I too CC and OC but one of the reasons given "I dont want to draw attention to myself" OK lets go with that one. People do things that draw attention ALL the time, cars they drive, motorcycles they ride, clothes they wear, hair color ect, so that doesnt fly with me.

All those things are acceptable and commonplace. You don't draw attention to yourself doing the same thing everyone else is doing.
It's funny that the ONLY reason I think is honest is the one that doesn't fly with you. Most of the reasons are incredulous. IMHO the only one that is true is - I am concern with what people will think of me.

Most of these objections are cops' objections that have worked their way into concealed carry culture and instructors' curriculum. A cop doesn't want to be recognized off duty. He truly can and will be targeted, so it's in his favor to conceal carry and look like somebody else.

Can you explain your statement that cops will be targeted if they're recognized off duty? Is this an actual problem I hadn't heard about or just fearmongering?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think it is likely that when LEOs are off duty many would like to blend in and just be people doing normal everyday family things, hobbies, etc.

IMO, everybody needs some time away from the job.

OC for ME

Older son went to Jeff City for a Red Cross 1st aid course. I wandered for ~8 hours and OCed the whole time while he was in class. The RC building was a no gun zone. Not a single citizen noticed the pistol on my hip as far as I know. One block from a cop shop, two blocks from the capital building, during a work day (political critters are not in session). My experience, limited as it is, is that OCers are rare sights to see and when seen folks draw there own conclusions as to the reason a gun is visible. The CC Industrial Complex minions are, in my opinion, the only "2A supporters" who raise a ruckus regarding OC.

YMMV

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-- My experience, limited as it is, is that OCers are rare sights to see and when seen folks draw there own conclusions as to the reason a gun is visible. The CC Industrial Complex minions are, in my opinion, the only "2A supporters" who raise a ruckus regarding OC.

YMMV
There are rigid antis both in the government and Everytown for Gun Safety that are rabidly opposed to any and all personal defense guns in the hands of commoners.

You are right though - people see and conclude based on what they think.

All in all, I see we are winning.

FTG-05

There are rigid antis both in the government and Everytown for Gun Safety that are rabidly opposed to any and all personal defense guns in the hands of commoners.

You are right though - people see and conclude based on what they think.

All in all, I see we are winning.

I agree. And that's the most important part of all, despite the naysayers. :banana:

Wstar425

Talking about this over at SigTalk which I would guess is pretty heavy law enforcement/military and probably more opposed to open carry than not. So far pretty civil and not too much name calling. Mostly, I support it, but I never do it and I think it's dumb. Nobody called a mall ninja yet!!!

I've been called everything but a white man over there when I bring up OC. I'll just sit back and watch this as they pretty much know my position. And a few disagree vehemently.

It seems like one of the strongest anti open carry voice comes from the concealed carry crowd. Their arguments sound suspiciously like the anti-gun language arguing against guns at all.

I've found nobody much pays you any attention as long as you are just conducting your every day affairs.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Talking about this over at SigTalk which I would guess is pretty heavy law enforcement/military and probably more opposed to open carry than not. So far pretty civil and not too much name calling. Mostly, I support it, but I never do it and I think it's dumb. Nobody called a mall ninja yet!!! I've been called everything but a white man over there when I bring up OC. I'll just sit back and watch this as they pretty much know my position. And a few disagree vehemently.

It seems like one of the strongest anti open carry voice comes from the concealed carry crowd. Their arguments sound suspiciously like the anti-gun language arguing against guns at all.

I've found nobody much pays you any attention as long as you are just conducting your every day affairs.

Have you been able to observe many OCers?