• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn!

trevorthebusdriver

Been a long, long time since I've seen a Unicorn(open carrier) in the wild. But today I was walking in downtown Seattle and saw an older African American man and noticed what looked like a holster and then noticed the gun. I didn't have time to stop and chat but I smiled and gave him a thumbs up and said "Open Carry!", and he said "Yeah, open carry".

mnrobitaille

For some reason, when I'm out & about, I've never seen any unicorns :( Even being a frequent visitor to Sportsman's Warehouse in Kennewick.

Only OCers I see it seems is LEOs.

Seriona

I bet some of these are not unicorns at all. I for example was spotted on a bus going from Everett to Marysville and someone thought I was one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
A unicorn is someone who discovers on his own that OC is not illegal and just decides to start OCing. No media reports. No OCDO. Etc.

In the early days of OCDO it was judged that independent OC was about as likely as a unicorn, thus the name.

A unicorn is not just any OCer the witness does not know.

Jeff Hayes

For some reason, when I'm out & about, I've never seen any unicorns :( Even being a frequent visitor to Sportsman's Warehouse in Kennewick.

Only OCers I see it seems is LEOs.

I have seen 5 or 6 people OCing in the last month or so in and around Spokane, I had not seen another OCer in 6 months or so.

Seriona

A unicorn is someone who discovers on his own that OC is not illegal and just decides to start OCing. No media reports. No OCDO. Etc.

In the early days of OCDO it was judged that independent OC was about as likely as a unicorn, thus the name.

But that is not how it's used now. Even slang words will evolve over time.

hadji

I had a chance to talk with a unicorn for about an hour a few weeks ago.
He had never heard of OCDO, nor our "mission" to normalize OC.

I suggested that he may find a wealth of good information on OCDO,
and support for OC in general.

He indicated that he would check it out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Indeed back in the days before dirt was fully perfected, I found myself as a lone unicorn before discovering OCDO back in May 2006.

A unicorn is an OCer neither known to the viewer nor a registered user/member on OCDO.