Thread: Armed Okla. man guarding Muslim-free gun store accidentally shoots self

Armed Okla. man guarding Muslim-free gun store accidentally shoots self

"Terrence Veninga, 57, dropped his Colt .45-caliber revolver and shot himself in the wrist Tuesday at Save Yourself Survival and Tactical Gear. Mr. Veninga was guarding the store because of alleged death threats to the owners since they put up a sign declaring it a “Muslim-free establishment,”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...un-store-acci/

"I saw several of those gentlemen out there yesterday," Pearson said. "The way they were holding their weapons, with the fingers on the triggers, you can tell a couple of these gentlemen have no idea about weapons safety. It's like the Clampetts have come to town."

http://muskogeenow.com/index.php?i=17858
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Colt revolver, in .45...I was so hoping it were a Glock.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

So, the question for me is how did the revolver fall from his holster?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kcgunfan; 08-20-2015 at 09:21 AM.

The statement claimed the man who shot himself came over to the shop to help fix a door in the office “and, as he bent over, his weapon fell from a malfunctioning chest holster and went off when it hit the floor.”
    There ya go...equipment failure.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    So, the question for me is how did the revolver fall from his holster?
    "I saw several of those gentlemen out there yesterday," Pearson said. "The way they were holding their weapons, with the fingers on the triggers, you can tell a couple of these gentlemen have no idea about weapons safety. It's like the Clampetts have come to town."

http://muskogeenow.com/index.php?i=17858
    Terrence Veninga, 57, dropped his Colt .45-caliber revolver and shot himself in the wrist
    Dropped it. It did not fall out of the holster.

And a .45Colt? Probably an older model that was never retrofitted with a transfer bar. He should have been carrying/holding it with the hammer down on an empty chamber just to prevent something like this.

And yes, I can hear the mob shouting "But, but, but skid, .45Colts are single action and you need to pull the hammer back before you pull the trigger." See above re: models with the original long firing pin not retrofitted with a transfer bar mechanism. Real cowboys knew what would happen if you hit the hammer while it was resting just behind a primer. Drugstore cowboys say "The cylinder has six holes. Must mean you're supposed to put six shells in."

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

And why was it out of the holster?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Dropped it. It did not fall out of the holster.

And a .45Colt? Probably an older model that was never retrofitted with a transfer bar. He should have been carrying/holding it with the hammer down on an empty chamber just to prevent something like this.

And yes, I can hear the mob shouting "But, but, but skid, .45Colts are single action and you need to pull the hammer back before you pull the trigger." See above re: models with the original long firing pin not retrofitted with a transfer bar mechanism. Real cowboys knew what would happen if you hit the hammer while it was resting just behind a primer. Drugstore cowboys say "The cylinder has six holes. Must mean you're supposed to put six shells in."

stay safe.
    How about reading both linked articles. I posted the comment (explanation) from the establishment. But, you are certainly free to accept, or reject, the "official explanation." Not being there when the incident occurred does, apparently, have some advantages.

...shot himself ... at Save Yourself Survival...

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    ...Probably an older model that was never retrofitted with a transfer bar. He should have been carrying/holding it with the hammer down on an empty chamber just to prevent something like this....
    How does a 57-yr old not know this? I have less empathy for this than the lady that didn't know she couldn't legally carry her gun in New York City. But to be clear, I do have some empathy for both...
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-20-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip