Thread: Quick rant...

Quick rant...

I am so tired of hearing people complain about their job on the internet. "Nobody understands my job", "They don't respect me", "They don't love me", "My job is sooo dangerous".

Stop the damn whining and quit your job! Nobody promised you a rose garden.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    But, you don't know what it's like, WW!

Just kidding. What's that saying, suck it up, buttercup, something like that?

Some days I have complaints about my job. But I am very thankful I have it.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 08-21-2015 at 08:11 AM.
    Advocate freedom please

There was an iconic t-shirt at my shipyard, with a cartoon of a mechanic with a submarine on his back, "It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!"

I always loved my career that I did for twenty-six years, I became my job.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-21-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I am so tired of hearing people complain about their job on the internet. "Nobody understands my job", "They don't respect me", "They don't love me", "My job is sooo dangerous". ...
    The one question that comes to mind when I hear these bleatings.

"Did ya ever wonder why nobody understands your job when you are sitting in your cruiser waiting for fresh doughnuts and free coffee first thing in the morning?"

"Did ya ever wonder why nobody respects you when you ticket folks for driving three miles over the posted speed limit when it is a good bet that you have not met your quota."

"Given the above, you looking for love is you looking for love in all the wrong places...sorry dude."
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    These same folks often have deluded the public into almost unconditional idolatry support. Retire sooner, with bigger benefits than most, have huge union support, support of the state and line of color their brethren will rarely cross.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I am so tired of hearing people complain about their job on the internet. "Nobody understands my job", "They don't respect me", "They don't love me", "My job is sooo dangerous".

That is just racist. Racist I tall ya.

I don't accept any responsibility for my statement because some nondescript alter-ego forced me to say it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by color of law; 08-21-2015 at 09:43 AM.

State Researcher

Quick rant of my own

Maybe I don't spend enough time on gun forums (as if), but if anyone thinks the boys in blue complain about nobody understanding their jobs and not appreciating them, look at how often government school teachers complain: low pay, parents don't care, low pay, no respect, low pay, too small of pay raise this year, low pay. Did I mention government school teachers think their pay is too low? They don't get paid for all the time they work in the evenings (as if very many professionals manage to only work 40 hours these days).

Like cops, government school teachers tend to enjoy very strong union protections. In places like NYC and California it is beyond insane how hard it is to fire bad teachers. In NYC they literally have a building where really bad teachers show up and just sit all day. They are too bad to let into a classroom, but it can take years to fire them. So they get paid to sit around reading newspapers or playing cards all day.

Like a bad cop, a bad teacher can ruin a lot of lives. Not through unjustified force. But consider on what happens to a child who doesn't learn math or reading because of a bad teacher. Even if fundamental skills are gained, if a child learns to dislike learning he has been handicapped. A warped view of history won't cripple a person quite so much, but certainly limits potential. (I freely admit that poor parenting is probably a far more common cause of lack of learning than bad teachers. But I'm not paying parents to parent; my taxes are paying teachers to educate the rising generation so they can be productive members of society.) The teachers' union tends to advocate for policies and laws that increase demand for teachers, even to the exclusion of what may be good for the classroom learning environment of the students.

Of course, teachers rarely want to trade their time away from work or work schedules with other professionals. They don't want to trade their tenure for my "employment at will" status.

"Folks, you spent 12 of your most formative years attending public schools. You spent at least 4 years in college studying for the job. You had to do a student-teaching stint somewhere along the way. Were you really shocked by the working conditions and compensation package?"

Interestingly, teachers at private and even public charter schools rarely have the same "abused spouse" kind of attitude and don't complain nearly so much as many of the teachers at regular public schools do. And I almost never hear firefighters or EMTs complain about their jobs.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    ... And I almost never hear firefighters or EMTs complain about their jobs.

Charles
    Interesting thought you have here.

Ya ever wonder why? Try this one on for size, FFs and EMTs are not tasked with saving your life then locking you up because you made a mistake and they had to come and save your life. Also, I know a few FFs and EMTs, they socialize with the great unwashed masses. The cops I know, usually, are a wee bit more finicky in their associates and associations.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    [ ... ]The cops I know, usually, are a wee bit more finicky in their associates and associations.
    And yours is also an interesting observation, borne out by my microscopic observation. Our EMT's and FF's are integral members of the community. Our cops (all two) are very much separate. The one cop that also participates in the EMS is the least integral to the community.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned

People like to complain ! We're complainers. So quit complaining about it. ahhh, LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5OFbJ6Nyc

Hey, she did not promise a rose garden ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b5PhWhWF4

And here's a quarter ^

Both classics..