• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Idaho

Difdi

I considered ID or MT, but then I realized that the people fleeing CA brought their voting habits and economic ignorance with them, and after they finish eating WA they will move like locusts to eat ID and MT as well.

They fled California to escape the hell they had voted for, and now they find themselves without the laws they considered essential back home. It never occurs to them that there is a connection between those things.

Jeff Hayes

They fled California to escape the hell they had voted for, and now they find themselves without the laws they considered essential back home. It never occurs to them that there is a connection between those things.

I fled California 23 years ago, I did not vote for the hell that was occurring at that time nor did I miss the laws I fled as a matter of fact I tried to slam the door shut behind me. Unfortunately too many do exactly what you are saying.

I am now fleeing Washington, trust me I will be fighting to keep the laws out of Idaho.

Alpine

So what happens if/when they eat WA and move on to ID? Where is there to flee after that?

Jeff Hayes

So what happens if/when they eat WA and move on to ID? Where is there to flee after that?[/QUOTE

I am going to be brutal here. A few of us can't do it by ourselves, less than 10 of us did most everything the last 5 to 8 years we spent our money, our time and put our butts on the line without much in the way of support other than people showing up if we spent the money time and effort to provide something for them to show up to.

OCDO lost one member that spent lots of money and time only to criticized at every turn, we have recently lost other key members that were movers and shakers and I know for a fact that you are about to lose a couple more of the people that get/got stuff done. People need to step up if you want to turn this state around when the movers and shakers quit about a year ago no one has stepped up to fill the gaps. Why should I stay and fight for everyone when everyone barely supports the fight. Its time for others to stand up and do something.

So yeah I am leaving but that does not mean I am leaving the fight. if you read my OP you would see that a lot of my reason for leaving WA is financial not that I am running from anything, I have always stood up.

I will fight the fight in Idaho and if that goes to hell I will pick another place to continue to fight, unless a lot of people stand up and soon there is not going to be any thing left to fight for in WA. In Idaho we can still fight and win with limited support.

Last edited:

BobR

So what happens if/when they eat WA and move on to ID? Where is there to flee after that?[/QUOTE

I am going to brutal here. A few of us can't do it by ourselves, less than 10 of us did most everything the last 5 to 8 years we spent our money, our time and put our butts on the line without much in the way of support other than people showing up if we spent the money time and effort to provide something for them to show up to.

OCDO lost one member that spent lots of money and time only to criticized at every turn, we have recently lost other key members that were movers and shakers and I know for a fact that you are about to lose a couple more of the people that get/got stuff done. People need to step up if you want to turn this state around when the movers and shakers quit about a year ago no one has stepped up to fill the gaps. Why should I stay and fight for everyone when everyone barely supports the fight. Its time for others to stand up and do something.

So yeah I am leaving but that does not mean I am leaving the fight. if you read my OP you would see that a lot of my reason for leaving WA is financial not that I am running from anything, I have always stood up.

I will fight the fight in Idaho and if that goes to hell I will pick another place to continue to fight, unless a lot of people stand up and soon there is not going to be any thing left to fight for in WA. In Idaho we can still fight and win with limited support.

Quoted for truth because this cannot be said enough.

bob

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

I am going to be brutal here. A few of us can't do it by ourselves, less than 10 of us did most everything the last 5 to 8 years we spent our money, our time and put our butts on the line without much in the way of support other than people showing up if we spent the money time and effort to provide something for them to show up to.

Alpine, where were you at all the events in the last 8 years? Every time myself or others testified in Olympia? (a few times I was the only one in a hearing room) When we testified in fire houses, city halls, etc...?

I like Jeff am looking to move out of state, primarily for financial reasons, but other political reasons as well. We have done much good in the state and much is left to be done, get started now.

Alpine

Alpine, where were you at all the events in the last 8 years? Every time myself or others testified in Olympia? (a few times I was the only one in a hearing room) When we testified in fire houses, city halls, etc...?

I like Jeff am looking to move out of state, primarily for financial reasons, but other political reasons as well. We have done much good in the state and much is left to be done, get started now.

8 years ago I was up in Alaska working after having recently helped in Dino Rossi's first campaign here before that. I watched Rossi actually win before Gargoyle and her minions stole the election. After AK I came back down here. I helped campaign for Dino Rossi again. I know first-hand that when someone more conservative, as opposed to a RINO, gets nominated, that liberty stands a chance and the democrats don't have a shoe-in.
Since 2012 I've been focusing more specifically on 2A issues after watching the state GOP commit suicide by nominating a "moderate." Yes, I was wrong about Inslime's lie about not wanting to push for more gun control, but with McKenna bragging about how many democrats he had behind him and bringing Mr. Gun Control Chris Christie himself to campaign here, it was basically a coin toss. I still stand by my belief that McKenna would have betrayed us on something to broker a "deal," though it admittedly it may not have been gun rights. Just imagine the McCleary debacle and subsequent budget standoff with McKenna at the helm and instead of the Senate drawing a line in the sand to oppose a hostile governor and House, they'd have a governor leading them to be the first ones to blink. I guess we'll never know... At the very least the fact that McKenna got less of the vote than Rossi proves that the only way to win is with true conservatives. Maybe we'll figure that out next time around?
Specifically I've been active in the fight for OC quite heavily in the last few years, mostly because my life settled down and I didn't have to travel so much for work, and because I got into OC more as I had more time and didn't go through airports and state lines and borders as much. Sorry, I'm a younger guy and can't time travel to "earn my tags" in the past before I had the legal right to carry and before I moved back to WA state after college and early work. But since then I've been an official WA resident I've been very active going to city council hearings, Olympia hearings, etc. You can find video of me testifying on youtube for many different hearings, and my written comments submitted on many bills over the last several years. I donated thousands of dollars to different groups such as CCRKBA, SAF, POGR, the NRA (who then ditched us with a token effort), and pro-2A officials like Pam Roach. On the 594 campaign I beat the streets in my city and did everything I could including going after 591 sign thieves on Mercer Island.
I even met you a few times at different events, not sure how you'd forget that after your invitation and me showing up at Starbucks in Federal Way.

Onto the topic at hand.
I am not trying to make anyone feel bad for leaving, however, I am just questioning the idea of leaving being effective to prevent the loss of rights. The reason being is that I watched many people I know flee CA for similar reasons. But WA absorbs 40,000 CA residents per year. They bring their politics with them and now we've seen some results. However, we also have seen that WA is not growing merely in Seattle and the demographics aren't just liberals increasing here. The State Senate takeover should prove that and even the democrats expect to lose the state house in the next election. Yes, the initiative process is broken but if we fix the state Supreme Court the way we fixed the Senate and soon will fix the House it won't matter. And even among the liberals in WA there is a huge libertarian streak that can be tapped into. If rights get bundled together they can be protected, even in places like Seattle. We need to reframe the debate towards discrimination and acceptance.

However, if we simply resign and leave WA to liberal forces, then they will destroy WA and look elsewhere for fresh meat. Once they are done eating WA they will go after ID, MT, and even eventually places like WY. And after WA is eaten they will be much stronger and more flush with cash and power than they are now.

As I said, I don't begrudge anyone the right to living where they want to, I just wish we could keep more liberty-minded people here. Eventually we'll have to make a stand or the whole US will fall slowly like dominoes. And right now we're doing pretty good. We've managed to expand the number of OC states after losing CA, and 2A rights in general have expanded. I see our glass as half full in WA. 594 was a major setback, and it will force us into future initiative battles, but I think we can win those.
If people want to move for money, family, or maybe they just want a change of scenery that's all well and good, but if it's mostly or purely political then please consider staying, we need you!

Last edited:

acmariner99

My wife and I too are considering leaving WA behind. Part of the reason for me is the blatant hypocrisy that permeates the WA frame of mind. It claims to be more "liberty minded" than other states and in recent years has made strides in expanding rights for some ... while restricting the rights for others. I put my best foot forward in helping combat the monstrosity that is I-594. I wrote blogs, talked to my 'network,' went to rallies, contributed to the NRA (big mistake), and spread the word any way I could. My efforts were for naught. Even those in my sphere of influence didn't vote and the had the gall to "apologize" when after the fact they realized how dangerous 594 is. Seems to me that a lot of people who claim to have a liberty frame of mind (in my circle) have surrendered, don't care, think an inch is all the enemy is going to take, or are content with their chains. Also, many who claim to be "pro-gun" absolutely hate the fact that I open carry at all and have practically terminated their relationship with me. Even though I don't OC as I used to, they still hate the fact that I vehemently support the right to do so. (Actually, the real insult here is that some of these "friends" are current or former military.)

I simply do not have the time or the energy to commit to further battles if no one is going to listen; the people here are getting exactly what they wanted and I want none of it. Therefore, my priority is ensuring my family's future prosperity by protecting freedom where it still exists.

I have other reasons - cost of living here is waaaay too high and only going higher - I will be renting for the rest of my life if I stay here, quality education is hard to come by, traffic is a nightmare, and personal reasons. I've had enough - if I can, I WILL leave.

The desire end effort required to "keep Washington free" simply does not weigh against what I see as my priorities.

Freedom1Man

I too am considering departing this state. I believed that I would not ever leave. However due to the constant demand for tax increases, bad traffic, too many idiots on the road, the gun stupid climate that is taking over (see I594 and its supporters), the horrorable hunting & fishing laws, etc.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Jeff Hayes

I too am considering departing this state. I believed that I would not ever leave. However due to the constant demand for tax increases, bad traffic, too many idiots on the road, the gun stupid climate that is taking over (see I594 and its supporters), the horrorable hunting & fishing laws, etc.

Taxes are going to go through the roof in the next few years in Washington, they have to to pay the debt and future obligations we have incurred. Its not like there is even a choice in the matter there is simply no other way. Look for income tax and capitol gains taxes along with nickle and dime tax increases on anything they can get away with. Businesses and the retired will suffer the most and consumers will also suffer indirectly when businesses add the increased taxes to the price of what ever they are selling.

We have just seen the tip of the new gun laws unless there is stiff resistance from the people, I will still attend rallies and events in Washington when I can. If we are going to stop this we need 5000 letters to hit the legislature when new laws are proposed and a 1000 people to show up at hearings. If we gun owners are not willing to write letters and show up to hearings they will roll right over us in the next few years.

Freedom1Man

Taxes are going to go through the roof in the next few years in Washington, they have to to pay the debt and future obligations we have incurred. Its not like there is even a choice in the matter there is simply no other way. Look for income tax and capitol gains taxes along with nickle and dime tax increases on anything they can get away with. Businesses and the retired will suffer the most and consumers will also suffer indirectly when businesses add the increased taxes to the price of what ever they are selling.

We have just seen the tip of the new gun laws unless there is stiff resistance from the people, I will still attend rallies and events in Washington when I can. If we are going to stop this we need 5000 letters to hit the legislature when new laws are proposed and a 1000 people to show up at hearings. If we gun owners are not willing to write letters and show up to hearings they will roll right over us in the next few years.
The GF is talking about us moving to Texas.

HPmatt

The GF is talking about us moving to Texas.

Ft Worth is a very friendly town - got all the stuff Dallas has and more, but they are normal-like. Doesn't matter where you are in Texas but it sure gets hot in the summer. Might think about keeping some kind of cool WA escape for 4 months out of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpine

Not trying to stir up any arguments but keep things like this in mind, nowhere is safe:
http://www.examiner.com/article/another-city-to-challenge-preemption-this-time-montana

Eventually we'll have to stand and fight because there will be nowhere left to go. If amnesty eventually goes through you'll see conservative states start turning blue, and as liberals devour and destroy their states like CA if they are allowed to keep moving on unchecked like locusts you will see a chain reaction as they jump from state to state wiping out everything in their path.

Last edited: