Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asked to leave a restaurant because of a gun

Asked to leave a restaurant because of a gun

My wife and I had been to the stump on a few occasions, the food was fair. This time we were motorcycling thru the area and decided to stop in. The place was not full but was spirited and maybe thirty people were there inside and out. We took a seat outside, but there were no waitstaff. I went back in and motioned to the only employee available, the girl behind the bar. She motioned me over, but I explained that I was legally armed and could not enter the "Over 21" area. She said she would take our order, two beers and a couple of sandwiches later, we were beginning to relax.

The outside garden is pleasant, and the food was not bad. An employee asked if I could put my firearm, out in my car as we were having beers with lunch. We explained that this act is legal in Washington State and we were on motorcycles and could not safely store our weapons there anyway. She agreed and left. We were being watched from a remote location, and when the owner did not see us leave she sent them to us with a copy of the RCW(revised code of washington) that covered the bar area. I think they took it off the wall there and carried it out to the garden. We advised them that this was not the bar area, but they insisted we leave with our firearms. We did so, in the middle of the meal. Yes, I had brochures that outlined the law, but they were not interested.

The owner requested us to leave AFTER we were half way through lunch. No single customer was upset and we we NOT breaking the law. Owner could be a Hoplophobe or could just not understand the laws of Washington State.
    All in all, it was not a good experience, I will not return with my money and I will encourage friends and family to avoid it and help spread the word.

The Cedar Stump Bar And Grill
    19711 Smokey Point Blvd.,
    Arlington, WA 98223
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 08-22-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    My wife and I had been to the stump on a few occasions, the food was fair. This time we were motorcycling thru the area and decided to stop in. The place was not full but was spirited and maybe thirty people were there inside and out. We took a seat outside, but there were no waitstaff. I went back in and motioned to the only employee available, the girl behind the bar. She motioned me over, but I explained that I was legally armed and could not enter the "Over 21" area. She said she would take our order, two beers and a couple of sandwiches later, we were beginning to relax.

The outside garden is pleasant, and the food was not bad. An employee asked if I could put my firearm, out in my car as we were having beers with lunch. We explained that this act is legal in Washington State and we were on motorcycles and could not safely store our weapons there anyway. She agreed and left. We were being watched from a remote location, and when the owner did not see us leave she sent them to us with a copy of the RCW(revised code of washington) that covered the bar area. I think they took it off the wall there and carried it out to the garden. We advised them that this was not the bar area, but they insisted we leave with our firearms. We did so, in the middle of the meal. Yes, I had brochures that outlined the law, but they were not interested.

The owner requested us to leave AFTER we were half way through lunch. No single customer was upset and we we NOT breaking the law. Owner could be a Hoplophobe or could just not understand the laws of Washington State.
    All in all, it was not a good experience, I will not return with my money and I will encourage friends and family to avoid it and help spread the word.

Arlington, WA 98223
    In short they waited until you had started enjoying your meal and THEN ask you to leave.

So did you pay for the meal, get a discount, or just leave?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    So did you pay for the meal, get a discount, or just leave?
    I pay for meals I eat, whether I enjoy them or not. It is polite.

I tip really well. I like good service when out and about and when I return, they remember us.

When forced to leave a meal for any reason by the establishment they forfeit the expense. On this, a female watress asked if we wanted our "tab", and my Sweet Baboo informed her "That won't be happening!"

I could not plead my case to the owner, she/he was watching remotely. We could only speak to the staff, who were caught in the middle. There was only one waitress when we got there. They, and the owner, made assumptions of the law and would not budge.
    I was in a similar situation at another restaurant a while back. I was with SVG, Boomboy, and their respective Sweeties. The outcome was much more positive and the meal there was great.
    My Friends, every time you go out the door it will be a roll of the dice.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 08-22-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

The price of meals at restaurants INCLUDES the appropriate time and atmosphere.

I'd leave a tip for the hapless waitstaff, though, assuming they weren't part of the problem.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-22-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I pay for meals I eat, whether I enjoy them or not. It is polite.

I tip really well. I like good service when out and about and when I return, they remember us.

When forced to leave a meal for any reason by the establishment they forfeit the expense. On this, a female watress asked if we wanted our "tab", and my Sweet Baboo informed her "That won't be happening!"

I could not plead my case to the owner, she/he was watching remotely. We could only speak to the staff, who were caught in the middle. There was only one waitress when we got there. They, and the owner, made assumptions of the law and would not budge.
    I was in a similar situation at another restaurant a while back. I was with SVG, Boomboy, and their respective Sweeties. The outcome was much more positive and the meal there was great.
    My Friends, every time you go out the door it will be a roll of the dice.
    If you finish your meal and do not like it, of course you pay, it is REQUIRED.

This is the question for all then, what should we agree to do if asked/told/ordered to leave in the middle of a meal at a restaurant?

In your case you were asked in the middle of it AFTER your food and what not had been served and BEFORE you had finished.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Arlington, WA 98223
    This is interesting, as I've eaten there many times while open carrying, and the wait staff knew why we were sitting outside the bar area. There are even pro gun signs up behind the bar. I thought I had found a place that was pro carry to spend my money at.

This is the question for all then, what should we agree to do if asked/told/ordered to leave in the middle of a meal at a restaurant?
    Not pay, most certainly. Tipping depends on the situation.

There are a lot of bad reviews on that place. Nearly every bad review said the owner is rude and treats employees horribly.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    This is interesting, as I've eaten there many times while open carrying, and the wait staff knew why we were sitting outside the bar area. There are even pro gun signs up behind the bar. I thought I had found a place that was pro carry to spend my money at.
    A letter from you, an actual customer, would be more powerful than any from us.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I guess I won't stop there the next time I'm out for a Sunday drive.

And no I would not pay.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Well lets see if they have the courage to explain this then. Probably don't care enough to bother

https://www.facebook.com/Conservativ...67866356569096
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Founder's Club Member
    If you finish your meal and do not like it, of course you pay, it is REQUIRED.

In your case you were asked in the middle of it AFTER your food and what not had been served and BEFORE you had finished.
    "Why, yes. Of course I would respect your rights even though you won't respect mine. I'll just need a zero-balance receipt to prove I owe nothing, and I will be gladly on my way."

Of course, the conversation gets recorded. And, I think how firmly I stand on my demand for the zero-charge receipt would depend on the hostility level of the restaurant management.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Well lets see if they have the courage to explain this then. Probably don't care enough to bother

https://www.facebook.com/Conservativ...67866356569096
    Liked.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posted to Yelp.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Posted to Yelp.
    I'm not sure they are going to Yelp you at all though

Sorry, couldnt resist. As well as the news page, i'm an infamous, brutal punster
    Last edited by rightwinglibertarian; 08-22-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    "Why, yes. Of course I would respect your rights even though you won't respect mine. I'll just need a zero-balance receipt to prove I owe nothing, and I will be gladly on my way."

Of course, the conversation gets recorded. And, I think how firmly I stand on my demand for the zero-charge receipt would depend on the hostility level of the restaurant management.
    I dunno, demanding zero tab while wearing a weapon is risky business, I can see that escalating quickly to getting the police involved, which I prefer to avoid when possible
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I dunno, demanding zero tab while wearing a weapon is risky business, I can see that escalating quickly to getting the police involved, which I prefer to avoid when possible
    So, what is your answer to the question then?

Don't "demand" anything. Just leave, as they requested.

How can they seriously call a cop and say: "We told him to leave halfway through his meal, so he promptly left without paying for the entire thing." After all, their excuse for kicking you out is just as valid while waiting to pay as it is while eating.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-23-2015 at 12:41 AM.

So, what is your answer to the question then?
    Simply leave if asked to leave.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Wink

I would want a receipt to show I owe nothing. Why would I just leave? The owner could easily call the police and report an armed dine and dash.
    Do as citizen suggested. Record and get a receipt.
    It is not unreasonable to protect yourself. Isn't that why we all carry in the first place?
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    I would want a receipt to show I owe nothing. Why would I just leave? The owner could easily call the police and report an armed dine and dash.
    It is not unreasonable to protect yourself. Isn't that why we all carry in the first place?
    Thanks, but I think MAC702 has a good point, too.

Its sort of a Catch22. Leave without paying--you're open to an accusation of theft. Firmly request or demand a zero-charge receipt--now you're risking having the police called for trespassing.

I guess one solution is to record and request a zero-charge receipt, prefacing it with the statement that you're not being allowed to finish the meal. ??
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Going to butt in. I can understand everyone's feeling in this matter. My first impression is to walk out, without paying, as well. Big problem with that is that the waitstaff will most likely have to foot the bill.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pa_Carry View Post
    Going to butt in. I can understand everyone's feeling in this matter. My first impression is to walk out, without paying, as well. Big problem with that is that the waitstaff will most likely have to foot the bill.

Maybe they shouldn't work for some ant-freedom and ignorant jerks? Besides, it's hazardous to their health to work in a place that forbids self-defense. Think of all the restaurant robberies and shootings.

So..."serves" them right? Could not get around the pun.

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    How do they prove you dined and dashed, even if you had? Surveillance? The same surveillance that shows they kicked you out? Not to mention, it's a place with a few dozen witnesses, likely.

What if they refuse a zero balance receipt? What if asking for such brings out a full charge bill instead?

If waitstaff is stiffed because of this, they have a legitimate claim against their employer. I do sympathize with them, though. Most wouldn't be in a position to get justice. I'm sure my post-incident letters would mention the situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast