• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave a restaurant because of a gun

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My wife and I had been to the stump on a few occasions, the food was fair. This time we were motorcycling thru the area and decided to stop in. The place was not full but was spirited and maybe thirty people were there inside and out. We took a seat outside, but there were no waitstaff. I went back in and motioned to the only employee available, the girl behind the bar. She motioned me over, but I explained that I was legally armed and could not enter the "Over 21" area. She said she would take our order, two beers and a couple of sandwiches later, we were beginning to relax.

The outside garden is pleasant, and the food was not bad. An employee asked if I could put my firearm, out in my car as we were having beers with lunch. We explained that this act is legal in Washington State and we were on motorcycles and could not safely store our weapons there anyway. She agreed and left. We were being watched from a remote location, and when the owner did not see us leave she sent them to us with a copy of the RCW(revised code of washington) that covered the bar area. I think they took it off the wall there and carried it out to the garden. We advised them that this was not the bar area, but they insisted we leave with our firearms. We did so, in the middle of the meal. Yes, I had brochures that outlined the law, but they were not interested.

The owner requested us to leave AFTER we were half way through lunch. No single customer was upset and we we NOT breaking the law. Owner could be a Hoplophobe or could just not understand the laws of Washington State.
All in all, it was not a good experience, I will not return with my money and I will encourage friends and family to avoid it and help spread the word.

The Cedar Stump Bar And Grill
19711 Smokey Point Blvd.,
Arlington, WA 98223

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

My wife and I had been to the stump on a few occasions, the food was fair. This time we were motorcycling thru the area and decided to stop in. The place was not full but was spirited and maybe thirty people were there inside and out. We took a seat outside, but there were no waitstaff. I went back in and motioned to the only employee available, the girl behind the bar. She motioned me over, but I explained that I was legally armed and could not enter the "Over 21" area. She said she would take our order, two beers and a couple of sandwiches later, we were beginning to relax.

The outside garden is pleasant, and the food was not bad. An employee asked if I could put my firearm, out in my car as we were having beers with lunch. We explained that this act is legal in Washington State and we were on motorcycles and could not safely store our weapons there anyway. She agreed and left. We were being watched from a remote location, and when the owner did not see us leave she sent them to us with a copy of the RCW(revised code of washington) that covered the bar area. I think they took it off the wall there and carried it out to the garden. We advised them that this was not the bar area, but they insisted we leave with our firearms. We did so, in the middle of the meal. Yes, I had brochures that outlined the law, but they were not interested.

The owner requested us to leave AFTER we were half way through lunch. No single customer was upset and we we NOT breaking the law. Owner could be a Hoplophobe or could just not understand the laws of Washington State.
All in all, it was not a good experience, I will not return with my money and I will encourage friends and family to avoid it and help spread the word.

The Cedar Stump Bar And Grill
19711 Smokey Point Blvd.,
Arlington, WA 98223

In short they waited until you had started enjoying your meal and THEN ask you to leave.

So did you pay for the meal, get a discount, or just leave?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
So did you pay for the meal, get a discount, or just leave?

I pay for meals I eat, whether I enjoy them or not. It is polite.

I tip really well. I like good service when out and about and when I return, they remember us.

When forced to leave a meal for any reason by the establishment they forfeit the expense. On this, a female watress asked if we wanted our "tab", and my Sweet Baboo informed her "That won't be happening!"

I could not plead my case to the owner, she/he was watching remotely. We could only speak to the staff, who were caught in the middle. There was only one waitress when we got there. They, and the owner, made assumptions of the law and would not budge.
I was in a similar situation at another restaurant a while back. I was with SVG, Boomboy, and their respective Sweeties. The outcome was much more positive and the meal there was great.
My Friends, every time you go out the door it will be a roll of the dice.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The price of meals at restaurants INCLUDES the appropriate time and atmosphere.

I'd leave a tip for the hapless waitstaff, though, assuming they weren't part of the problem.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I pay for meals I eat, whether I enjoy them or not. It is polite.

I tip really well. I like good service when out and about and when I return, they remember us.

When forced to leave a meal for any reason by the establishment they forfeit the expense. On this, a female watress asked if we wanted our "tab", and my Sweet Baboo informed her "That won't be happening!"

I could not plead my case to the owner, she/he was watching remotely. We could only speak to the staff, who were caught in the middle. There was only one waitress when we got there. They, and the owner, made assumptions of the law and would not budge.
I was in a similar situation at another restaurant a while back. I was with SVG, Boomboy, and their respective Sweeties. The outcome was much more positive and the meal there was great.
My Friends, every time you go out the door it will be a roll of the dice.
If you finish your meal and do not like it, of course you pay, it is REQUIRED.

This is the question for all then, what should we agree to do if asked/told/ordered to leave in the middle of a meal at a restaurant?

In your case you were asked in the middle of it AFTER your food and what not had been served and BEFORE you had finished.

decklin

There are a lot of bad reviews on that place. Nearly every bad review said the owner is rude and treats employees horribly.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is interesting, as I've eaten there many times while open carrying, and the wait staff knew why we were sitting outside the bar area. There are even pro gun signs up behind the bar. I thought I had found a place that was pro carry to spend my money at.

A letter from you, an actual customer, would be more powerful than any from us.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you finish your meal and do not like it, of course you pay, it is REQUIRED.

This is the question for all then, what should we agree to do if asked/told/ordered to leave in the middle of a meal at a restaurant?

In your case you were asked in the middle of it AFTER your food and what not had been served and BEFORE you had finished.

"Why, yes. Of course I would respect your rights even though you won't respect mine. I'll just need a zero-balance receipt to prove I owe nothing, and I will be gladly on my way."

Of course, the conversation gets recorded. And, I think how firmly I stand on my demand for the zero-charge receipt would depend on the hostility level of the restaurant management.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

"Why, yes. Of course I would respect your rights even though you won't respect mine. I'll just need a zero-balance receipt to prove I owe nothing, and I will be gladly on my way."

Of course, the conversation gets recorded. And, I think how firmly I stand on my demand for the zero-charge receipt would depend on the hostility level of the restaurant management.

I dunno, demanding zero tab while wearing a weapon is risky business, I can see that escalating quickly to getting the police involved, which I prefer to avoid when possible

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't "demand" anything. Just leave, as they requested.

How can they seriously call a cop and say: "We told him to leave halfway through his meal, so he promptly left without paying for the entire thing." After all, their excuse for kicking you out is just as valid while waiting to pay as it is while eating.

Last edited:

decklin

I would want a receipt to show I owe nothing. Why would I just leave? The owner could easily call the police and report an armed dine and dash.
Do as citizen suggested. Record and get a receipt.
It is not unreasonable to protect yourself. Isn't that why we all carry in the first place?