Thread: Illegal immigrants have RKABA, 7th Cir. Appeal from E. D. Wis.

Illegal immigrants have RKABA, 7th Cir. Appeal from E. D. Wis.

"In the case of a Milwaukee man deported over a single .22 caliber cartridge, a federal appeals court ruled last week [20 Aug 2015] that even unlawful immigrants can be part of the "the public" that enjoys a Second Amendment right to keep a gun for self defense. The U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeas said even undocumented immigrants can be part of "the people" protected by the Bill of Rights, though it upheld the man's conviction on a specific law that prohibits most such persons from having guns.

"It is now clear that the Second Amendment right to bear arms is no second-class entitlement, (and) we see no principled way to carve out the Second Amendment and say that the unauthorized (or maybe all noncitizens) are excluded," Judge Diane Wood wrote for a panel that included judges Richard Easterbrook and Joel Flaum.
    "No language in the Amendment supports such a conclusion, nor, as we have said, does a broader consideration of the Bill of Rights."

Because four other federal circuit courts have come to the opposite conclusion, legal commentators were quick to suggest the issue of whether undocumented immigrants have Second Amendment rights could now be headed for the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/u...322737461.html

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...:N:1608386:S:0 19 pages 155 KB
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-25-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: EMPHASIS FOR THE HARD OF READING
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    And their natural rights mean nothing?

On US soil....all rights include all people.

Who actually would argue differently? Oh, right ... lawyers.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And their natural rights mean nothing?

On US soil....all rights include all people.

Who actually would argue differently? Oh, right ... lawyers.
    Broad brushing again, I see.

In any given case, there is generally a lawyer on each side.

You seem to critize lawyers frequently, yet you are here at the largesse of two lawyers - Mike and John.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-25-2015 at 06:19 AM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The "compelling government interest" argument has been upheld by SCOTUS for decades. While illegal immigrants may be part of "the people" in the same way as that phrase has been used in many other cases SCOTUS has previously upheld limitations/restrictions on various other enumerated rights against certain citizens and non-citizens. I see the US Attorney throwing those 3 words out and getting the ruling overturned without breaking a sweat.

I'm not going to get into the rightness/wrongness of those decisions because those with the power to change the status quo have not taken action to do so, thus leaving the question settled in so far as our legal system see things.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

You seem to critize lawyers frequently, yet you are here at the largesse of two lawyers - Mike and John.
    I'm sure Mike and John don't mind ... they are not posting ... probably heard worse from their own clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

You seem to criticize lawyers frequently, yet you are here at the largesse of two lawyers - Mike and John.

http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/folk...t-lawyer-jokes

Granted, a Aussie site, but they have a sense of humor.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm sure Mike and John don't mind ... they are not posting ... probably heard worse from their own clients.
    Think that John & Mike have better things to do with their time and that it is likely just water off the duck's back. That does not mean that they either endorse or encourage it - quite to the contrary.

However; I have been directed/authorized to take care of business, insure rule conformity, and generally clean up what others drop in the street. It can be a messy job, but someone has to do it.

Sometimes saying less is better. Would have been a good thing to have taken the hint and let it go instead of defending your position publicly. Left me with the need to make it official.

See such posts are a violation of forum rules #6 & #9.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.