• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Responsibility" to Intervene in Active Shooter Situation?

jfrey123

Best way to survive a gun fight is to not get into one. If the stars were aligned and I had a perfect safe opportunity to take him out, maybe. But generally, I'm going straight to a door and only shooting threats in my path. There was a Walmart shooter a couple years back who almost got taken down by a CCW holder, only to have the shooter's GF take the CCWer out from behind.

Lord Sega

This is just me, also all defensive shooting situations are different and have multiple variables.

In general: 1) If safe to do so, get clear of the area, 2) If not #1, shelter in place and prepare, 3) If not #1 or #2, strong offense in defense of myself or others.

Within this, my priority is protecting: 1) my kids / family, 2) myself (not so much for me but for the impact of loosing me would have on my kids), and 3) others if possible (again this really depends on the situation and the variables).

The biggest problem is that the bad guy has already decided what they are doing, in reacting we don't have much (if any) time to analyze the situation fully, which brings us around to running scenarios in our heads, situational awareness, and practice-practice-practice.

Firearms Iinstuctor

It would really hard to predict what the response to a situation should be, because each one is different,

For me having been trained in active shooter response and having trained others in active shooter response.

I would evaluate the situation and react appropriately now that I am retired that could be any where from leaving, sheltering in place or attacking.

Or maybe a combination of them all or a couple of them.

I well defend myself and mine with the what ever force would be reasonable.

sudden valley gunner

It would really hard to predict what the response to a situation should be, because each one is different,

For me having been trained in active shooter response and having trained others in active shooter response.

I would evaluate the situation and react appropriately now that I am retired that could be any where from leaving, sheltering in place or attacking.

Or maybe a combination of them all or a couple of them.

I well defend myself and mine with the what ever force would be reasonable.

+1

Also every situation is different too, even if they share similarities.

boundlessdyad

There really is no way to say what one would do unless they were actually in that situation. When GFZ's don't carry the weight of law I still carry if I have a need to go there. Flame me if you will. I am more concerned for my safety than I am for obeying a rule that is not a law. I would like to think that I would have shot this bastard as soon as I knew he was intent on executing innocents. I cannot say for sure if I would have known whether or not it was a prank until after his first shot was fired. Once the first shot was fired I just can't see not doing something. Once you become aware that it is real and not a prank how do you sleep at night just standing by watching people be executed?

Obviously if you are unarmed and do not have a tactical advantage you may have to watch and do nothing for self preservation.

There are no easy choices here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dian Mullis

I am not a sheep for I do not mill around with the flock with my attention on fitting in with the flock.

I am not a wolf for I do not prey on the sheep.

I am not a sheepdog for I do not have the responsibility or desire to control or protect the sheep... nor do I have any wish to fight the wolf.

I am a stray dog... I am warily friendly to the sheep and I avoid the wolf as I fend for myself yet I will fiercely fight to protect those I love... from both wolf and sheep.

My job is to maintain control of my own ability to protect myself and those I care about... and in order to do that I carry a gun. I might come to the aid of an innocent person because my morals and ethics require helping those in danger but carrying a gun does not make it my job to help others... therefor as a private citizen I am not now, never have been, and never will be a "sheepdog".

^^I couldn't have said it better myself!

since9

Campaign Veteran
"The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he is a member. The civilian does not." - Robert A. Heinlein

sudden valley gunner

Most soldiers I know, would not idly sit by or go home, because it doesn't affect them.

My point is the logical disconnect between some (who may not be soldiers) who support foreign interference yet not domestic.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Can someone please remind me what this thread was about when it started?

stay safe.

FTG-05

I don't OC to protect the FSA or their enablers.

Hence a non-issue for me.

Some one points - or threatens - me or mine with a gun, then it's game on.

Otherwise, the so-called sheep can kiss my you-know-what.

My .02.