Thread: White House concedes new gun laws wouldn’t have stopped Va. gunman

White House concedes new gun laws wouldn’t have stopped Va. gunman

The White House conceded Friday that new gun regulations probably wouldn’t have prevented the gunman who murdered two television journalists in southwestern Virginia this week.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said it appears that a proposal championed by President Obama to require background checks on purchases at gun shows “would not have applied in this particular case.” [ ... ] But Mr. Earnest said the proposal on background checks, which failed in the Senate in 2013, would prevent other shooting deaths around the country every day.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-va-gunman-wh/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

If someone has murder in their heart, there is no way to stop them. Making it difficult to obtain a gun will do nothing except disgust the constituents who are obviously being ignored. Thank God for the NRA.

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk

Welcome to OCDO.

God Bless US Bitter Clingers.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I wonder why nobody in the lamestream media is talking about having armed security for their field reporters. Certainly they can afford it.

I would even go as far to say if they don't from this point forward and something like this happens again they are complicit.

Banned
    I would think that of the murders that happen everyday, many are criminals shooting other criminals. And nobody really cares about this.

Crackdealer Joe killed Crackdealer Pete .. more at our 10 o'clock broadcast (you never hear this on TV).

This guy was just a pissed off ex-employee IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    I wonder why nobody in the lamestream media is talking about having armed security for their field reporters.
    Better yet, letting employees be armed themselves. I think we are a better country, and better for 2A rights, when we press for the discussion to be about not hindering *individual* preparedness, instead of it being turned over to "security", "government", etc.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I think Mr. Earnest should name one shooting that would have been prevented. That should not be too difficult since, according to him they happen every day.
    they do.. in places like Chicago, L.A., San Fran, and Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Better yet, letting employees be armed themselves. I think we are a better country, and better for 2A rights, when we press for the discussion to be about not hindering *individual* preparedness, instead of it being turned over to "security", "government", etc.
    In this case, ONLY a 'bodyguard-type employee' standing by head on a swivel would have had a chance at preventing this and EVEN THEN, the guy would have just used a rifle and scope or something. But you don't know...conjecture, theorization.

The point is he wanted to kill he wanted it on the news live and nothing was going to stop that.

I'll concede that some killers or more casual attackers might be dissuaded if every 10th person was open carrying, for example.

I don't know how the press sec can say 'apparently wouldn't have' to 'would have' in the every day (facepalm) shootings.

Banned
    Liberals are not discussing this issue anymore since they found out it was one of their own. As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    I wonder why nobody in the lamestream media is talking about having armed security for their field reporters. Certainly they can afford it.

I would even go as far to say if they don't from this point forward and something like this happens again they are complicit.
    Are you so sure they can afford it? Birdcage liner newspapers are going out of business due to rising costs brought on by falling revenues brought on by the rising cost of advertising. Broadcast news operations are not that far behind in tightness of budget.

Have you ever worked personal protection? Neither have I, but the folks I know who have all tell me the objectives are to keep their principal's exposure to danger as limited as possible and if that does not work to get them away from the danger as fast as possible. Look at what the Secret Service's Presidential Protection Detail goes through just to let POTUS schmooze with Conan O'Brian - the numbers involved and the site preparation and the audience screening. Maybe it would be easier to issue news crews ballistic armor (long vest, diaper, and helmet at the very least).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Are you so sure they can afford it? Birdcage liner newspapers are going out of business due to rising costs brought on by falling revenues brought on by the rising cost of advertising. Broadcast news operations are not that far behind in tightness of budget.

Have you ever worked personal protection? Neither have I, but the folks I know who have all tell me the objectives are to keep their principal's exposure to danger as limited as possible and if that does not work to get them away from the danger as fast as possible. Look at what the Secret Service's Presidential Protection Detail goes through just to let POTUS schmooze with Conan O'Brian - the numbers involved and the site preparation and the audience screening. Maybe it would be easier to issue news crews ballistic armor (long vest, diaper, and helmet at the very least).

stay safe.
    Or just maybe, you know, possibly admit there could be some kind of a problem... like, maybe these gun-free zones aren't quite all they're cracked up to be?

Nahhh, who am i kidding... that'll never happen.
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

Activist Member
    Huge credit for them to admit and see that gun laws and regulations don't stop this kind of activity from occuring. I can somehow see that things are starting to turn around.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    I have worked as a bodyguard for a high ranking international celebrity. Actually I haven't, I just resent the assumption.

Comparing armed security or a retired cop for a couple hours on a news feed to the SSPPD is a bit of a stretch. I'd bet that some would even volunteer.

Banned
    Why didn't obummer push for a prohibition on gun ownership for black gay prostitutes ? Wouldn't that have prevented it? For the children by golly !