• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SWATing.

poetdante

I'm wondering how it is that nine cops showed up? Slow day? Dispatcher? :question:

VERY interested in reading your transcript. If you can figure out how, you can slice/splice the original audio to eliminate the caller's private information. I use Audacity.

Well it WAS a Saturday night down the road from all the bar areas. Maybe they were already on their way for a pre-shift icecream social?

I'll work on the transcript. I think I'll type it out, unless folks think tone of voice from the caller is important (the dispatcher was as monotonous as you could get)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well it WAS a Saturday night down the road from all the bar areas. Maybe they were already on their way for a pre-shift icecream social?

I'll work on the transcript. I think I'll type it out, unless folks think tone of voice from the caller is important (the dispatcher was as monotonous as you could get)
A transcript is a lot of work, but much easier to follow and review. Audios can frequently be difficult to understand.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Where are the damages? The caller did not defame him, he reported him as a man with a gun, which he was, and is legal. The caller DID abuse the 911 system though.

The person who screwed the pooch was the dispatcher.

Have not seen the transcript yet ... and making a knowingly false call is good enough in my book for defamation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have not seen the transcript yet ... and making a knowingly false call is good enough in my book for defamation.
Who made a knowingly false call?

Two stories don't match on "I said vs he said" but that doesn't prove prevarication on the part of either party.

Perhaps you would like to put up the money and time involved to file what I would consider a frivolous law suit. Bet the OP could be talked into letting you have any net gain.

Come on down from the safety of your Connecticut computer and show the good people of KY how it's done.......in person. If I recall right, you ignored such a proposal in the Virginia sub-forum.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I'll type it out, unless folks think tone of voice from the caller is important...
If you think it's relevant/important, then we might - but don't spend hours on it! :eek:

If you do so (by cutting out the private stuff) then you might find the skills necessary to do so to be usable at a later date.

poetdante

Transcribed it. Edited for privacy of caller and added notes as commentary where I thought it could go.

Operator: 911 this is operator Hedges, where is your emergency.
Caller: Yes ma'am, I am at the Greater's on Bardstown Road and Dundee Road...
Operator: Ok Bardstown and Dundee and that's a Greater's? What's the telephone number you're calling from
(During that last line the caller tried getting words in edgewise but could not)
Caller: Uh, it's 502-###-####.
Operatpor: ###-####? And your name?
Caller: It's Caller. C-A-L-L-E-R
Operator: Hi Caller. Tell me exactly what happened
Caller: Well, uh, there's a gentleman in the Greater's right now, he might be in or out of the Greater's, he has a handgun...(gets cut off)
Operator: Ok what age and race is he?
Caller: White and uh, I don't know how old he is. I would say anywhere from mid-twenties to early thirties.
(First of all, racist! /Sarcasm. Second, good estimation! I'm not 30 yet though)
Operator: Ok and what's he wearing?
Caller: He's wearing, uh, dark green pants and a/uh blue t-shirt with cut-off sleeves
Operator: Ok blue t-shirt and dark green pants. And did he have it on his side just like when you have a CDW?
Caller: Uh, yes ma'am I asked him if he had a carry concealed license and he said "no".
(She tried saying something or was agreeing, hard to hear. And I did say I have a license but did not need one)
Operator: Uh, ok. So he has it in a holster?
Caller: Yes ma'am.
Operator: Yah ok...is it a handgun?
Operator: Ok...handgun...holster...*mumbles something*....asked if he had...alright we'll get someone to check it out. Thank you
Caller: Thank you very much
Operator: Bye-bye.

I've heard customer service calls with better call quality.

poetdante

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Hey that was fun! I got to use my fancy sensitive mouse for something practical haha.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h95qi3ud2takcg/Bardstown @ Dundee__CALL - Edited.wav?dl=0
Cool! Good stuff.

Well, the caller, except for lying, played things straight - and good for the dispatcher: confirming that your gun was in a holster, and not twirling around your finger.

Now, the final question is: Why is it that nine cops showed up? Did the dispatcher dispatch them (I would think that's the way it works, but am unsure), or do they just go places on their own (which I would find unworkable/strange) ?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, looks like the OP was right .. the caller did lie. In a clear attempt to encourage a hostile encounter. Nowhere does the caller say he was OCing.

Basically inferring you were CCing w/o a permit. ie inferred you were a criminal. A felony in your state? I assume so. Sounds like defamation to me !

Seek legal advice on how to proceed is my recommendation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, looks like the OP was right .. the caller did lie. In a clear attempt to encourage a hostile encounter. Nowhere does the caller say he was OCing.

Basically inferring you were CCing w/o a permit. ie inferred you were a criminal. A felony in your state? I assume so. Sounds like defamation to me !

Seek legal advice on how to proceed is my recommendation.

Continually repeating the same thing does not make it true. Only clogs up OCDO with what becomes garbage/trash posts.

There is no evidence of a lie - only evidence of different memory and no claim to crime was made, caller apparently was not hostile either.

OC is not a crime with or w/o a permit in that state. We all know the colloquial definition of "assume."

Sounds to me like you need to go to your room.

OC for ME

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by poetdante
So I had heard about ... Before leaving they had asked the employees if they were ok with it (me open carrying) and they said "yes".
What a load of BS. The nitwit cop just couldn't help himself could he. It's in their DNA it seems. Anti-liberty fool.
Oh well...no harm, no foul.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Continually repeating the same thing does not make it true. Only clogs up OCDO with what becomes garbage/trash posts.

There is no evidence of a lie - only evidence of different memory and no claim to crime was made, caller apparently was not hostile either.

OC is not a crime with or w/o a permit in that state. We all know the colloquial definition of "assume."

Sounds to me like you need to go to your room.

The guy should seek out legal advice ... you disagreeing with that?

"someone stole $1500 on friday"
"we fired fred on friday"
(implies fred stole $1500 which was not true)

That's a classic defamation example ....

Its similar here ... omitting critical facts for a desired result.

OC for ME

Operator: Ok blue t-shirt and dark green pants. And did he have it on his side just like when you have a CDW?
Caller: Uh, yes ma'am [strike]I asked him if he had a carry concealed license and he said "no".[/strike]
Operator: Uh, ok. So he has it in a holster?
Operator: Yah ok...is it a handgun?
Operator: Ok...handgun...holster...*mumbles something*....asked if he had...alright we'll get someone to check it out. Thank you.
Hmmm...

Does the 911 operator know that OC does not require a permit? Hard to know given what we know. Likely will never know. Move on to the next dipstick with a cellphone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Association not made. Implied/assumed by you. Anyone can seek legal advice as they wish.

Adding "intractable" to descriptors. Soft warning/hint was given - more formal incoming.

twoskinsonemanns

I am disgusted with the busy body mentality. I'm not really sure the problem is necessarily anti gun but anti individualism. I read an article yesterday that was basically the author whining that he couldn't get an airline flight attendant to do anything about someone he suspected to be covertly 'vaping' an e-cigarette a few seats over in a plane.
It's the collectivist, you-will-be-assimilated, see-something-say-something, it-takes-a-village, anti-liberty cancer that is the real problem I think.

WalkingWolf

Stop acting like a child, he was not defamed, he was not even approached by LE. The caller reported a man with a gun, that was not a lie. The dispatcher screwed up by not telling him he was abusing 911, and OC is legal. The only persons who suffered was the tax payers.

This continued arguing over the stupid stuff is the reason I used to laugh at you. It is no longer funny but pathetic, please seek help.

Grapeshot forgive me, but it is really getting old.

WalkingWolf

I am disgusted with the busy body mentality. I'm not really sure the problem is necessarily anti gun but anti individualism. I read an article yesterday that was basically the author whining that he couldn't get an airline flight attendant to do anything about someone he suspected to be covertly 'vaping' an e-cigarette a few seats over in a plane.
It's the collectivist, you-will-be-assimilated, see-something-say-something, it-takes-a-village, anti-liberty cancer that is the real problem I think.

One of the reasons I avoid organized groups, like the NRA, like they have a STD. Group think is what got us into trouble to begin with, we need a society of individuals, and celebrate it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Stop acting like a child, he was not defamed, he was not even approached by LE. The caller reported a man with a gun, that was not a lie. The dispatcher screwed up by not telling him he was abusing 911, and OC is legal. The only persons who suffered was the tax payers.

This continued arguing over the stupid stuff is the reason I used to laugh at you. It is no longer funny but pathetic, please seek help.

Grapeshot forgive me, but it is really getting old.
It is understandable. Minor slight ignored, given the circumstances.

My level of saturation has been exceeded too. I am on it.

B

Bikenut

. Quoted for truth.