• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with ccwl, Boone County Sheriff says no.

Desperado

I have enjoyed the information on this forum for a while but, I heard something today that made me join.
My brother in law recently moved to Boone County, don't know all the details, may have been while updating hic ccwl, he was informed by the Boone County Sheriff that you can not open carry whith a ccwl. I know this is not true. need help on info about this.

Desperado

My understanding, the sheriff. I'd be disappointed if it was, met him at day of resistance rally, seemed like a good man.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The permit allows one to CC. It does not require that mode of carry.

OC is definitely legal. Ask the good sheriff for a cite - maybe you can educate him.

hotrod

I have enjoyed the information on this forum for a while but, I heard something today that made me join.
My brother in law recently moved to Boone County, don't know all the details, may have been while updating hic ccwl, he was informed by the Boone County Sheriff that you can not open carry whith a ccwl. I know this is not true. need help on info about this.

I've lived in Boone County for 25 years and know Sheriff Michael Helmig well, and have open carried with him in the group. I have to call BS on this. Have your brother in law contact me and I'll open carry to the Sheriff's office to introduce him to Mike

willy1094

My understanding, the sheriff. I'd be disappointed if it was, met him at day of resistance rally, seemed like a good man.

I can assure you with at least 99.99999% degree of certainty that Sheriff Mike Helmig did not tell your brother in-law this. One because he wouldn't, and two because he is not just sitting around welcoming people as they walk into the office. Usually it is one of the clerks that would welcome you and answer any questions. If it was a uniformed officer it would be one of his deputies. I've NEVER heard ONE of them voice this opinion though. IF it is true that a deputy said this, I'd be interested in finding out who it was. If it was one of the girls at the desk, I would be less surprised.

I hear bad information passed out from time to time about various topics. I've made every attempt to correct it when I hear it. People that have worked within the field of public safety far longer than myself are often quicker to dole out this misinformation also.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've lived in Boone County for 25 years and know Sheriff Michael Helmig well, and have open carried with him in the group. I have to call BS on this. Have your brother in law contact me and I'll open carry to the Sheriff's office to introduce him to Mike
Now that will solve the problem! :)

Ask the man who has been there, done that.
icon14.png

Desperado

Thanks for the help. Knew that wasn't right, you don't give up the right to oc just because you have a ccwl.
Called my brother in law today, the person was a possible retired officer who works at the motor vehicle transfer desk. He is telling people that it is the sheriffs office policy. I think the sheriff should have a talk with the employees about this.
My brother in law is happy he can oc.
Thanks again for the help, and thanks hotrod for the offer.

Last edited:

hotrod

Thanks for the help. Knew that wasn't right, you don't give up the right to oc just because you have a ccwl.
Called my brother in law today, the person was a possible retired officer who works at the motor vehicle transfer desk. He is telling people that it is the sheriffs office policy. I think the sheriff should have a talk with the employees about this.
My brother in law is happy he can oc.
Thanks again for the help, and thanks hotrod for the offer.

Ask your brother-in-law which office he was in. The county clerks office in the old courthouse or the one on Ewing Blvd in the Florence City Building. I'll get this fixed quick, fast and in a hurry. Thanks for the heads up. Don't need people spreading rumors.