• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident permits

heckle

Forgive me if this is answered someplace else.

We (the wife and I) live in CT and have our permits from CT. We both also have PA permits. I have a Utah permit as well. We are getting ready to head down to Florida on vacation and will be staying in a condo in Perdido Key outside of Pensacola. Last year we flew down and this year we are driving. While we are down in Florida, we wanted to get a Florida permit so that we would be legal since we will most likely be making this a yearly trip.

I just wanted to make sure that I understand the Florida process on getting a permit. From my understanding, we apply via mail or in person (we will be doing it in person). We will have to apply at a Tax Collectors office that is on the "approved" list. The closest one to us seems to be in Okaloosa county in Crestview. Fill out the applications, schedule an appointment, present copy of training certificate (or a DD-214 in my case), get fingerprinted, pay the fees ($134) and then wait.

Does this pretty much sum it up?

Here is where I got the information from.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/
http://www.okaloosatax.com/services/concealed-weapons/

notalawyer

Forgive me if this is answered someplace else.

We (the wife and I) live in CT and have our permits from CT. We both also have PA permits. I have a Utah permit as well. We are getting ready to head down to Florida on vacation and will be staying in a condo in Perdido Key outside of Pensacola. Last year we flew down and this year we are driving. While we are down in Florida, we wanted to get a Florida permit so that we would be legal since we will most likely be making this a yearly trip.

I just wanted to make sure that I understand the Florida process on getting a permit. From my understanding, we apply via mail or in person (we will be doing it in person). We will have to apply at a Tax Collectors office that is on the "approved" list. The closest one to us seems to be in Okaloosa county in Crestview. Fill out the applications, schedule an appointment, present copy of training certificate (or a DD-214 in my case), get fingerprinted, pay the fees ($134) and then wait.

Does this pretty much sum it up?

Here is where I got the information from.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/
http://www.okaloosatax.com/services/concealed-weapons/

Yep pretty much....

Make sure you schedule that appointment well in advance. You could also apply at the Ft. Walton regional DOACS office with an appointment.

efriday

Virginia Resident, just received FL permit

The process is as you described. I made an appointment at the office in Fort Walton Beach. Pretty efficient operation. Several computer stations at which one sits and fills in the application, coached by a technician.
Left them my application/fingerprints in November, and received my permit by mail at my Virginia address in 9 weeks.
Note: There was a "No firearms" sign in the office.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The process is as you described. I made an appointment at the office in Fort Walton Beach. Pretty efficient operation. Several computer stations at which one sits and fills in the application, coached by a technician.
Left them my application/fingerprints in November, and received my permit by mail at my Virginia address in 9 weeks.
That might be funny if it were not so sad.

We issue permits for what you can't carry here.......even with a valid permit.

notalawyer

There were in a couple...some of us and Florida Carry has taken care of those.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
We issue permits for what you can't carry here.......even with a valid permit.

And the list is ?

?? Not sure what you are asking. What list?

I was referring to the No Guns sign in their office. They don't want you to carry a gun where they issue permits (and renewals) to carry a gun.

Rollbar

OK, I wasn't sure. I was reading it as Fla issued different permits for different weapons other than a pistol etc.
Thanks,
Jim

notalawyer

?? Not sure what you are asking. What list?

I was referring to the No Guns sign in their office. They don't want you to carry a gun where they issue permits (and renewals) to carry a gun.

Yeah, thankfully their wishes, wants, and desires are completely meaningless in this regard - and in point of fact, it is unlawful form them to post such signs.