Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta-area police officer shot after responding to wrong home

Atlanta-area police officer shot after responding to wrong home

Authorities say an Atlanta-area police officer was shot and critically injured Monday night after officers responding to a call about a suspicious person showed up at the wrong house.

... further down the story ...

Just as he [Derek Perez] was about to go into his house, he heard the gunshots, but they didn't come from the house where he had reported the suspicious person.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...hot+in+georgia
    Iteresting information in this story about LE actions on the scene.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Very fishy smelling... It's unclear if the homeowner had a gun? How could that be unclear?
    hmm some conjecture...
    Cops break into someones home. Dog starts barking. Cops start shooting at dog and hit dog and another cop in the leg. Cops shoot homeowner. Things become unclear.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

...exigent circumstances...

One of these days the cops are gunna go to the wrong address and somebody is gunna get shot...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ...exigent circumstances...One of these days the cops are gunna go to the wrong address and somebody is gunna get shot...
    Even while the homeowner does not have a gun, but he will soon enough.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

...exigent circumstances...

One of these days the cops are gunna go to the wrong address and somebody is gunna get shot...
    So I'm guessing hat last night was one of those days?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Iteresting information in this story about LE actions on the scene.
    I'm more interested in what has not been said - how the dog got made dead.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Alexander said officials are still investigating the timeline of the events, but what’s known is a neighborhood resident called emergency 911 to report a burglary in progress, giving a description of the targeted home. Officers went to the back of what they thought was the correct home and found a rear door unlocked.

“That in and of itself would probably suggest to anyone that it is possible that there could be intruders inside, but it turned out not to be the case,” Alexander said, WXIA reported. “Somewhere at the rear of that home, some things happened that have yet to be determined.”
    High crime area according to a neighbor of the wrong house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7109...7i13312!8i6656

1503 Boulderwoods Dr. SE is the house of the neighbor in the story.

Cop with gun + dog = dog gets dead.

Banned
    Officers received a vague location for the burglary in progress call and when they arrived in the neighborhood around 7:35 p.m. ET they entered the wrong home,
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...shot/71495714/

They had no PC to enter the house ... they know this. My sympathy is for the dog and homeowner.

Cops will all get medals I'm sure...

Recent updates say that homeowner did have a gun and shot the cop. Cops also said they found an unlocked door which was suspicious and gave them PC to enter... Since when is having my door unlocked PC to enter? Broken window/door jam... I'll give you that one.
    Last edited by Kopis; 09-01-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    Recent updates say that homeowner did have a gun and shot the cop. [ ... ]
    Link to a source.

Broken window policing required their proactive correction, rather than leaving the broken window as a convenient excuse/rationale.

At least they're not handling it as an "internal matter." Director Alexander had the good sense to call in the GBI. Some of those guys and gals are alright LEO's.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Sounds like the dog barked or growled, they shot dog, home owner shot cop, cops shot home owner. There is no cure for stupid, police, and public will be safer when individual stupid cops are removed before incidents happen.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Sounds like the dog barked or growled, they shot dog, home owner shot cop, cops shot home owner. There is no cure for stupid, police, and public will be safer when individual stupid cops are removed before incidents happen.
    No media report that I have seen has given the homeowner a gun. Have you seen such a report, will you please link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    No media report that I have seen has given the homeowner a gun. Have you seen such a report, will you please link to it.
    Nope, I was just guessing. I guess it is also possible they shot home owner when they shot dog.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

1119EST http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-...145410367.html
    Police officers who arrived at the wrong metro Atlanta home for a report of suspicious activity shot the man who lives there, killed his dog and "likely" shot a fellow officer, leaving him seriously wounded, authorities said Tuesday.
    unquote

let's see this get swept under the blue carpet!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Police: Friendly fire likely wounded officer in wrong-house encounter

Consider the source.
    The GBI's statement provided additional details: "Upon entry to the residence, the officers encountered a dog. Two officers fired their weapons striking and killing the animal in the kitchen. A male in the home, later determined to be the homeowner, exited a room off the kitchen and was also shot by the responding officers."

The homeowner, who suffered a leg wound, was treated and released at Atlanta Medical Center. The officer underwent surgery at Grady Memorial Hospital and is now in serious but stable condition, the GBI said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/geo...ouse-shooting/
    Interesting...hmm.

Consider the source.Interesting...hmm.
    Hope the home owner survives, and recovers fully. So he can collect a HUGE kaching.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Bungling cops ADMIT they stormed into the wrong house and shot the homeowner, killed his dog, then hit one of their own and left him in serious condition while responding to burglary
    • Officers received reports of a burglary in process in 'a grey brick house'
    • Police in Atlanta responded to the wrong house and a shots rang out
    • One officer and the homeowner, identified as Chris McKinley, were wounded during the firefight
    • Officials say it was 'likely' that the unidentified police officer was shot by a fellow cop
    • McKinley's dog was shot and killed in the deadly crossfire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3217734/Georgia-police-officer-shot-circumstances-unclear.html
    Getting better all the time.

Getting better all the time.
    Always from the foreign press.

hrmm.. you know, this makes me ponder obtaining some level IIIA hard armor.. since it's not illegal here yet..

and obviously if the dog was barking at their intrusion, why wasn't it barking BEFORE their intrusion if a burglar actually WAS in the house? theres a question to think about.

apparently for dogs, barking is a death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    hrmm.. you know, this makes me ponder obtaining some level IIIA hard armor.. since it's not illegal here yet..

and obviously if the dog was barking at their intrusion, why wasn't it barking BEFORE their intrusion if a burglar actually WAS in the house? there's a question to think about.

apparently for dogs, barking is a death sentence.
    ...lock you back door screen door...

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Very fishy smelling... It's unclear if the homeowner had a gun? How could that be unclear?
    hmm some conjecture...
    Cops break into someones home. Dog starts barking. Cops start shooting at dog and hit dog and another cop in the leg. Cops shoot homeowner. Things become unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    1119EST http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-...145410367.html
    Police officers who arrived at the wrong metro Atlanta home for a report of suspicious activity shot the man who lives there, killed his dog and "likely" shot a fellow officer, leaving him seriously wounded, authorities said Tuesday.
    unquote

let's see this get swept under the blue carpet!!

ipse
    nailed it.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Nightmare; 09-01-2015 at 04:24 PM.

...lock you back door screen door...
    are you actually talking about doors or being metaphorical?

if actually talking about doors.. they are always locked..unless I exit them. then I lock them behind me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast