• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Atlanta-area police officer shot after responding to wrong home

OC for ME

Authorities say an Atlanta-area police officer was shot and critically injured Monday night after officers responding to a call about a suspicious person showed up at the wrong house.

... further down the story ...

Just as he [Derek Perez] was about to go into his house, he heard the gunshots, but they didn't come from the house where he had reported the suspicious person.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cop+shot+in+georgia
Iteresting information in this story about LE actions on the scene.

twoskinsonemanns

Very fishy smelling... It's unclear if the homeowner had a gun? How could that be unclear?
hmm some conjecture...
Cops break into someones home. Dog starts barking. Cops start shooting at dog and hit dog and another cop in the leg. Cops shoot homeowner. Things become unclear.

OC for ME

Alexander said officials are still investigating the timeline of the events, but what’s known is a neighborhood resident called emergency 911 to report a burglary in progress, giving a description of the targeted home. Officers went to the back of what they thought was the correct home and found a rear door unlocked.

“That in and of itself would probably suggest to anyone that it is possible that there could be intruders inside, but it turned out not to be the case,” Alexander said, WXIA reported. “Somewhere at the rear of that home, some things happened that have yet to be determined.”
High crime area according to a neighbor of the wrong house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.710...4!1sZcfA6U-IdG1Z9ImGPbiXlQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

1503 Boulderwoods Dr. SE is the house of the neighbor in the story.

Kopis

Recent updates say that homeowner did have a gun and shot the cop. Cops also said they found an unlocked door which was suspicious and gave them PC to enter... Since when is having my door unlocked PC to enter? Broken window/door jam... I'll give you that one.

Last edited:

DeSchaine

At least they're not handling it as an "internal matter." Director Alexander had the good sense to call in the GBI. Some of those guys and gals are alright LEO's.

WalkingWolf

Sounds like the dog barked or growled, they shot dog, home owner shot cop, cops shot home owner. There is no cure for stupid, police, and public will be safer when individual stupid cops are removed before incidents happen.

OC for ME

Police: Friendly fire likely wounded officer in wrong-house encounter

Consider the source.
The GBI's statement provided additional details: "Upon entry to the residence, the officers encountered a dog. Two officers fired their weapons striking and killing the animal in the kitchen. A male in the home, later determined to be the homeowner, exited a room off the kitchen and was also shot by the responding officers."

The homeowner, who suffered a leg wound, was treated and released at Atlanta Medical Center. The officer underwent surgery at Grady Memorial Hospital and is now in serious but stable condition, the GBI said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/georgia-wrong-house-shooting/
Interesting...hmm.

OC for ME

Bungling cops ADMIT they stormed into the wrong house and shot the homeowner, killed his dog, then hit one of their own and left him in serious condition while responding to burglary
  • Officers received reports of a burglary in process in 'a grey brick house'
  • Police in Atlanta responded to the wrong house and a shots rang out
  • One officer and the homeowner, identified as Chris McKinley, were wounded during the firefight
  • Officials say it was 'likely' that the unidentified police officer was shot by a fellow cop
  • McKinley's dog was shot and killed in the deadly crossfire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3217734/Georgia-police-officer-shot-circumstances-unclear.html
Getting better all the time.

Ezek

hrmm.. you know, this makes me ponder obtaining some level IIIA hard armor.. since it's not illegal here yet..

and obviously if the dog was barking at their intrusion, why wasn't it barking BEFORE their intrusion if a burglar actually WAS in the house? theres a question to think about.

apparently for dogs, barking is a death sentence.

OC for ME

hrmm.. you know, this makes me ponder obtaining some level IIIA hard armor.. since it's not illegal here yet..

and obviously if the dog was barking at their intrusion, why wasn't it barking BEFORE their intrusion if a burglar actually WAS in the house? there's a question to think about.

apparently for dogs, barking is a death sentence.
...lock you back door screen door...

twoskinsonemanns

Very fishy smelling... It's unclear if the homeowner had a gun? How could that be unclear?
hmm some conjecture...
Cops break into someones home. Dog starts barking. Cops start shooting at dog and hit dog and another cop in the leg. Cops shoot homeowner. Things become unclear.

1119EST http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-georgia-officer-likely-shot-other-officers-145410367.html
Police officers who arrived at the wrong metro Atlanta home for a report of suspicious activity shot the man who lives there, killed his dog and "likely" shot a fellow officer, leaving him seriously wounded, authorities said Tuesday.
unquote

let's see this get swept under the blue carpet!!

ipse

nailed it. :banana: