Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: "Swatting" - Anyone have this happen to them?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    36

    "Swatting" - Anyone have this happen to them?

    It appears that this tactic of "Swatting" has been promoted for a while by the anti-gunners. This article was posted on Fox News a couple of days ago.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01.../?intcmp=hpbt2

    I open a carry a double gun shoulder rig here in AZ and have yet to have an issue. I'm curious if anyone has had this happen to them? If so please post your experience or comment on the article.

  2. #2
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    It appears that this tactic of "Swatting" has been promoted for a while by the anti-gunners. This article was posted on Fox News a couple of days ago.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01.../?intcmp=hpbt2

    I open a carry a double gun shoulder rig here in AZ and have yet to have an issue. I'm curious if anyone has had this happen to them? If so please post your experience or comment on the article.
    uh, humm...don't cross into other states sub threads i presume:

    KY: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...130904-SWATing

    WA: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Open-Carriers

    might wish to cruise a bit around the other sub threads bucko...

    ispe
    "He who pays the piper calls the tunes..." (OBE as Grape called melody!!)

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    36

    I did a search

    solus,

    I did a search for "Swatting" as the article called it. Did not realize that others were referring to it as SWATing. Thank you for referencing the other posts. And I did want to post about the recent article.

  4. #4
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I don't know what search engine you may be using. A good search engine should be almost blind to case upper/lower, spaces, and punctuation - for them being so abused.
    there is a big difference between one t and two t's, though.

  5. #5
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,255
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    there is a big difference between one t and two t's, though.
    i'm sure, to his credit, he tried to use and search OC's forum search engine which is exemplary (coughing up a hair ball) and technologically advanced search device...

    (no grape didn't speek unkindly about the mechanism...not the whip again...won't happen ever again!!)

    ipse
    "He who pays the piper calls the tunes..." (OBE as Grape called melody!!)

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,727
    We have known about these tactics for a long time, and in Ohio those tactics got a young man killed. The swatter should have been charged with murder for outright lying to 911 operator.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,527
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    i'm sure, to his credit, he tried to use and search OC's forum search engine which is exemplary (coughing up a hair ball) and technologically advanced search device...

    (no grape didn't speek unkindly about the mechanism...not the whip again...won't happen ever again!!)

    ipse
    I'll talk to you about this after dinner.

    Seriously, I always use "Search Single Content Type and not ever "Search Multiple Content Type."
    One or two key words at most will generally get me what I want.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    23235
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    bucko...
    Never cared for that term. Demeaning methinks.
    Be active.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,527
    Originally Posted by solus

    bucko...

    Moderator note --totally erroneous quote content--
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    Never cared for that term. Demeaning methinks.
    Solus did not use that term.

    If you look at post#3, you will see that"bucko" is a user/member - that is his screen name.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    23235
    Posts
    411
    Understood, still don't care for the name. I think I must have been called that in my youth.
    Be active.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    438
    I'm more interested in the "double gun shoulder rig" as stated by the OP.

    I'm picturing "Last Man Standing" type with dual .45's.

    What about it "Bucko"?

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    Understood, still don't care for the name. I think I must have been called that in my youth.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    --snipped--
    What about it "Bucko"?
    Urban Dictionary

    bucko. Slang term for a male acquaintance, used in a mock aggressive or openly hostile way.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bucko
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-03-2015 at 03:40 AM.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    36
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheTwins.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	12735
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    I'm more interested in the "double gun shoulder rig" as stated by the OP.

    I'm picturing "Last Man Standing" type with dual .45's.

    What about it "Bucko"?
    I carry two S&W M&P 9s with Trijicon RMR's each with Arrendondo Accessories extended mag plate which add 5 rounds to my 17 round capacity. And I have 4 extra 17 round magazines, two under each gun.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheTwins.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	12735

    I carry two S&W M&P 9s with Trijicon RMR's each with Arrendondo Accessories extended mag plate which add 5 rounds to my 17 round capacity. And I have 4 extra 17 round magazines, two under each gun.
    Is this your EDC or some form of IPSA rig?
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    36

    Wow...

    All I was trying to do was to bring a recent article to the attention of those on this forum about "Swatting". I had no idea that my user name of "Bucko" would become an issue or the fact that I had never heard about "Swatting" before. I did a search for "Swatting" within the forum search. I had no idea that others were referring to it as "SWATing". Sorry, I don't have the time to search through all the forum posts for any variation of a topic. I did appreciate a poster referring me to some other posts on the subject.

    Can we get back to the issue at hand, anyone have any other experiences or can post any other links to this happening?

    Thanks,

    Bucko
    Last edited by Bucko; 09-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Is this your EDC or some form of IPSA rig?
    This is my everyday carry.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    16,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheTwins.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	12735

    I carry two S&W M&P 9s with Trijicon RMR's each with Arrendondo Accessories extended mag plate which add 5 rounds to my 17 round capacity. And I have 4 extra 17 round magazines, two under each gun.
    If you had one 9mm and one 45 cal then you would be the perfect OCer. Make everyone happy.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,527
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If you had one 9mm and one 45 cal then you would be the perfect OCer. Make everyone happy.
    He could also try alternating 9mm and .45acp ammo in the same mag - making someone except him happy.

    It is good would to keep all of your gear compatible and ammo (mags too) interchangeable.

    I may not be the best example as my primary is a .45acp 1911 and my BUG is a .38 cal mod 60. I like the revolver BUG because it is less prone to typical semi-auto failures.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-03-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    All I was trying to do was to bring a recent article to the attention of those on this forum about "Swatting". I had no idea that my user name of "Bucko" would become an issue or the fact that I had never heard about "Swatting" before. I did a search for "Swatting" within the forum search. I had no idea that others were referring to it as "SWATing". Sorry, I don't have the time to search through all the forum posts for any variation of a topic. I did appreciate a poster referring me to some other posts on the subject.

    Can we get back to the issue at hand, anyone have any other experiences or can post any other links to this happening?

    Thanks,

    Bucko
    Amazon.com sells a hi-tech Teflon spray specifically developed for buckos.

    Bucko, you live to post another day!!!!!

  20. #20
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    All I was trying to do was to bring a recent article to the attention of those on this forum about "Swatting". I had no idea that my user name of "Bucko" would become an issue or the fact that I had never heard about "Swatting" before. I did a search for "Swatting" within the forum search. I had no idea that others were referring to it as "SWATing". Sorry, I don't have the time to search through all the forum posts for any variation of a topic. I did appreciate a poster referring me to some other posts on the subject.
    Can we get back to the issue at hand, anyone have any other experiences or can post any other links to this happening?
    Thanks, Bucko
    BUCKO, welcome to the philosophically eclectic and sometimes eccentric membership of OCDO...myself, excluded of course

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 09-03-2015 at 05:23 PM.
    "He who pays the piper calls the tunes..." (OBE as Grape called melody!!)

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    BUCKO, welcome to the philosophically eclectic and sometimes eccentric membership of OCDO...myself, excluded of course [emoji14]

    ipse
    Yeah, you were never welcomed in. You snuck in under guise of being that other guys friend and so far you have just survived.

    😜


    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  22. #22
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    ....Can we get back to the issue at hand, anyone have any other experiences or can post any other links to this happening?
    Indeed, let's get back to the subject.

    My feeling is that due to the long history of open carry in Aridzona (in fact, open carry being the Only way to legally carry there for a number of years) that law enforcement is not overly concerned about something they've nearly since forever.

    I used to ride a mountain bike on a regular basis whilst living in Sierra Vista and had a grand total of One conversation with the local gendarmes. He passed me while I had my shotgun strapped to the handlebars on my way out to a dry creek to go shooting one day. His reason why was that someone had called and said I was 'pointing a shotgun in their direction as they were walking'. We both observed that my firearm was quite properly secured to the forks on my handlebars and after a little confab we agreed that it might cause less trouble if the muzzle were pointed away from any pedestrians even if that meant that many more times it would be pointed towards any passing cars. I switched it off and pedalled off to continue my fun and all was right with the world again.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Indeed, let's get back to the subject.

    My feeling is that due to the long history of open carry in Aridzona (in fact, open carry being the Only way to legally carry there for a number of years) that law enforcement is not overly concerned about something they've nearly since forever.

    I used to ride a mountain bike on a regular basis whilst living in Sierra Vista and had a grand total of One conversation with the local gendarmes. He passed me while I had my shotgun strapped to the handlebars on my way out to a dry creek to go shooting one day. His reason why was that someone had called and said I was 'pointing a shotgun in their direction as they were walking'. We both observed that my firearm was quite properly secured to the forks on my handlebars and after a little confab we agreed that it might cause less trouble if the muzzle were pointed away from any pedestrians even if that meant that many more times it would be pointed towards any passing cars. I switched it off and pedalled off to continue my fun and all was right with the world again.
    A vertical mount (scabbard on the fork?) might have worked better.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Yeah, you were never welcomed in. You snuck in under guise of being that other guys friend and so far you have just survived.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    and free, et al., ya'l never know if or when i might walk and share my smile amongst you and your evergreen brethren or show up at your OC breakfast mtgs or your outdoor booths or rally(s) or in your neighbourhood(s) throughout the state...

    ipse
    "He who pays the piper calls the tunes..." (OBE as Grape called melody!!)

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  25. #25
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    16,690
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    and free, et al., ya'l never know if or when i might walk and share my smile amongst you and your evergreen brethren or show up at your OC breakfast mtgs or your outdoor booths or rally(s) or in your neighbourhood(s) throughout the state...

    ipse

    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •