• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cased toss - cops never show up to testify - guy warning about speed trap

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...d-drivers-of-speed-trap-ahead--323996981.html

SEATTLE -- A man who was given a $138 fine for warning drivers they were approaching a police speed trap won't have to pay the fine after all.

Daniel Gehlke appeared in court Wednesday to fight the ticket, but the Seattle Police officer didn't show. A judge then tossed the case

Really, I would not have accepted a dismissal; I would have demanded a trial and that the cop show up....so I could examine him under oath. I would have asked for a subpoena be issued to compel his testimony.

By now, everyone on the planet knows that the citizen did nothing wrong and his arrest is just an isolated <cough cough> incident.

42 US 1983 .....

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Municipal code outlaws any sign or device "bearing any such words as 'danger,' 'stop,' 'slow,'" and more. "Directions likely to be construed as giving warning to or regulating traffic," it says.
Can you say: violation of the First Amendment?????

Fallschirjmäger

I predict two things about this:
1) The officer won't even receive a sternly worded missive about his conduct, and
2) The officer is already bragging to his comrades about how he 'ruined that guy's day' which was exactly what he wanted to do.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Agreed. Simple intimidation. Abuse of authority and corruption. This is the kind of action that should be considered treasonous.
It may seem relatively insignificant but in reality it is a representative of the government abusing his power to intimidate and steal wealth from an innocent citizen.

My favorite line in my state's legal code: "...the fundamental philosophy of the American constitutional form of representative government which holds to the principle that government is the servant of the people, and not the master of them..."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I predict two things about this:
1) The officer won't even receive a sternly worded missive about his conduct, and
2) The officer is already bragging to his comrades about he 'ruined that guy's day' which was exactly what he wanted to do.

And at the next roadblock I'd have about 20 of my buddies out there with signs. In Ohio there is a group that do just that at DUI road blocks.

davidmcbeth

Banned
And at the next roadblock I'd have about 20 of my buddies out there with signs. In Ohio there is a group that do just that at DUI road blocks.

Everyone should learn about if they have to just SHOW a license and ppwk or if one needs to allow a cop to TAKE/HOLD such. Every state is different.

Commie checkpoints...