Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: New member

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    richmond va
    Posts
    3

    New member

    Thanks for this forum...I hope this will be very helpful to me as I have just purchased a handgun and have learned so much from reading the posts here about OC laws in VA...am I correct in understanding that I can open carry anywhere that is permissible until I receive my CWP?

  2. #2
    Regular Member bbMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    60
    Welcome to OCDO Zscorpion44. This website truly is a great source of information. As a matter of fact, you may open carry wherever permitted even without a CHP (Here in VA it's called a Concealed Handgun Permit). I've been open carrying here in NoVa for the past several years without a CHP and have had no real problems. There have been the wide-eyed stares and the whispered "He's got a gun" but no LEO has confronted me. Just remember where you may NOT open carry and you should be fine.

    Again, welcome home!
    Last edited by bbMurphy; 09-05-2015 at 09:48 AM.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Welcome to the forum - lots of very good people here.

    Moved your post from Forum Rules to the Viginia sub-forum as more appropriate.

    We have a dinner coming up next Tuesday - come on out and meet some of the group:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...62#post2159062
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Zscorpion44 View Post
    Thanks for this forum...I hope this will be very helpful to me as I have just purchased a handgun and have learned so much from reading the posts here about OC laws in VA...am I correct in understanding that I can open carry anywhere that is permissible until I receive my CWP?
    I can say with 110% accuracy YES to the bold/underlined query.

    Welcome to the forum !

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Welcome to OCDO, and especially the merry band in the RVA area.

    Yes, do come out to our OC Dinner next Tuesday (Sept 8th) to meet us. None of us are threatening even though some of us do look a little scary (Well, except me - I'm told I am downright frightening looking. )

    I think I'll beat everybody else to the technical point - there are no CWPs in Virginia, just as there are no bars. We have CHPs (Concealed Handgun Permits) and restaurants ABC licensed for on-premises consumption. There! That's out of the way so the CHP Police will not have a chance to jump down your throat about it.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    --snipped-- there are no CWPs in Virginia.
    Oh, but there is at least one. I have my ol' CWP somewhere......it is a mit stale dated now though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Oh, but there is at least one. I have my ol' CWP somewhere......it is a mit stale dated now though.
    Yep, me too. It's a collectors item.

  8. #8
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Zscorpion44 View Post
    Thanks for this forum...I hope this will be very helpful to me as I have just purchased a handgun and have learned so much from reading the posts here about OC laws in VA...am I correct in understanding that I can open carry anywhere that is permissible until I receive my CWP?
    you can also continue to open carry in those same places after
    JFT 96

    I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

    Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Oh, but there is at least one. I have my ol' CWP somewhere......it is a mit stale dated now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yep, me too. It's a collectors item.
    Either one of those and three dollars will get you a $1.50 cup of coffee at the gun show. Otherwise they are only good for remembering "the good days" when having a CWP meant you knew somebody who knew somebody who was important or contributed to the Sheriff's reelection campaign.

    And yes, I had one, too. Trashed it when they went from CWP to CHP.

    Now can we quit splitting hairs in front of the new guy and try to behave long enough to get him to join us for the monthly dinner or a weekly breakfast?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Either one of those and three dollars will get you a $1.50 cup of coffee at the gun show. Otherwise they are only good for remembering "the good days" when having a CWP meant you knew somebody who knew somebody who was important or contributed to the Sheriff's reelection campaign.

    And yes, I had one, too. Trashed it when they went from CWP to CHP.

    Now can we quit splitting hairs in front of the new guy and try to behave long enough to get him to join us for the monthly dinner or a weekly breakfast?

    stay safe.
    Yep new guy. Come to dinner. If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta whiz on the hydrant.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    richmond va
    Posts
    3

    New member

    Quote Originally Posted by bbMurphy View Post
    Welcome to OCDO Zscorpion44. This website truly is a great source of information. As a matter of fact, you may open carry wherever permitted even without a CHP (Here in VA it's called a Concealed Handgun Permit). I've been open carrying here in NoVa for the past several years without a CHP and have had no real problems. There have been the wide-eyed stares and the whispered "He's got a gun" but no LEO has confronted me. Just remember where you may NOT open carry and you should be fine.

    Again, welcome home!
    Thanks

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Welcome aboard

    The monthly dinners are a good time to meet and greet.

    We also have weekly Saturday morning breakfasts. Generally, the time is 9:30 (Us "Olde Timers" still rise early, but it takes time to get the old bones and joints moving), and the location rotates from week to week.

    Locations are usually posted Friday evening for everyone to see. Please feel free to join us at any of the gatherings.

    ;>)

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    richmond va
    Posts
    3

    Cwp

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Welcome to OCDO, and especially the merry band in the RVA area.

    Yes, do come out to our OC Dinner next Tuesday (Sept 8th) to meet us. None of us are threatening even though some of us do look a little scary (Well, except me - I'm told I am downright frightening looking. )

    I think I'll beat everybody else to the technical point - there are no CWPs in Virginia, just as there are no bars. We have CHPs (Concealed Handgun Permits) and restaurants ABC licensed for on-premises consumption. There! That's out of the way so the CHP Police will not have a chance to jump down your throat about it.

    stay safe.
    I am so sorry about the CWP...I am a 52 year old black man that is new to the gun laws here so I am trying to get all the correct info that I can to keep my ass out of jail and out of trouble. I know that I will get stopped by the cops at some point and questioned but I feel that if I am approached correctly I will respond correctly...again thanks for the info and if I get back early enough on Tuesday I would love to meet some of you guys and hear some of the crazy stories.
    Last edited by Zscorpion44; 09-06-2015 at 05:56 AM.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Zscorpion44 View Post
    I am so sorry about the CWP....
    No, I should apologize. There is a history of good-natured chain yanking and setting up replies from others so you can zing someone that person. You are the innocent bystander in this. Grapeshot and peter nap were the intended targets, hoping they would play "You are a real Richmonder if ....", which usually consists of remembering the past and telling folks how to get places by mentioning landmarks that used to be there but are no longer.

    When (not if) you meet us at either a monthly dinner or weekly breakfast you will begin to understand how this fraternity of ours works and will suck you in to become a member yourself.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Zscorpion44 View Post
    I am so sorry about the CWP...I am a 52 year old black man that is new to the gun laws here so I am trying to get all the correct info that I can to keep my ass out of jail and out of trouble. I know that I will get stopped by the cops at some point and questioned but I feel that if I am approached correctly I will respond correctly...again thanks for the info and if I get back early enough on Tuesday I would love to meet some of you guys and hear some of the crazy stories.
    LOL No need to apologize. There are members here that enjoy kidding each other. Most are founding members of the OPC/CRT* and recognize the jokes. Please do not be offended by our deranged rantings. This is a wonderful place for information and We welcome new members and are more than willing to educate and assist in any way we can.education. Please, join us at one of the gatherings and get to know us.


    *(Olde Pharts Club/Cardiac Recovery Team)

  16. #16
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Get good training!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  17. #17
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Get good training!
    humm flack jacket?

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  18. #18
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    No, I should apologize. There is a history of good-natured chain yanking and setting up replies from others so you can zing someone that person. You are the innocent bystander in this. Grapeshot and peter nap were the intended targets, hoping they would play "You are a real Richmonder if ....", which usually consists of remembering the past and telling folks how to get places by mentioning landmarks that used to be there but are no longer.

    When (not if) you meet us at either a monthly dinner or weekly breakfast you will begin to understand how this fraternity of ours works and will suck you in to become a member yourself.

    stay safe.
    so you guys always play practical pranks on each other? wow...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    humm flack jacket?

    ipse
    Frack jacket - inside Ol' Phart joke/reference.

    "Frick and Frack remains fairly common one in North America for any two people who are closely linked in some way, especially through a work partnership."
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8062508AAnzP8I
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    so you guys always play practical pranks on each other? wow...

    ipse
    Are you feeling left out again?

    Come on up and we'll take care of you.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Are you feeling left out again?

    Come on up and we'll take care of you.

    stay safe.
    this from the olde phart who got punked through intellectual superiority?

    sounds like a threat of pay back for this august gentleman?

    truly not sure the aftermath could be withstood skid!!

    just saying, ya know

    ipse
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-06-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: rule #19
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  22. #22
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Bahaha

    Welcome to the forum! Come on out to the dinner on Tuesday!

    It's seems you've had your vaccinations in this thread, you should be able to withstand the virus itself
    Last edited by The Truth; 09-06-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  23. #23
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Just watch Santa. Not sure he had all his shots.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Just watch Santa. Not sure he had all his shots.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Hey! I've been shot at many times. Mostly by marksmen who studied under the NYPD or ISIS/ISIL/IBIL and the dreaded IMIL. As of today they are 0 for 17.

    Marlin Perkins used to say that as long as you kept your hands outside the cage you were safe.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    this from the olde phart who got punked through intellectual superiority?

    sounds like a threat of pay back for this august gentleman?

    truly not sure the aftermath could be withstood skid!!

    just saying, ya know

    ipse
    Punked? The location and time was posted. Sure took a lot of detectivating to figure out where to send it.

    "August" gentleman? Seriously, dood, you got to get your calendar fixed - even I know it's now September.

    If I were to do payback you would regret it to your dying day, if you lived that long.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •