• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zscorpion44

Thanks for this forum...I hope this will be very helpful to me as I have just purchased a handgun and have learned so much from reading the posts here about OC laws in VA...am I correct in understanding that I can open carry anywhere that is permissible until I receive my CWP?

bbMurphy

Welcome to OCDO Zscorpion44. This website truly is a great source of information. As a matter of fact, you may open carry wherever permitted even without a CHP (Here in VA it's called a Concealed Handgun Permit). I've been open carrying here in NoVa for the past several years without a CHP and have had no real problems. There have been the wide-eyed stares and the whispered "He's got a gun" but no LEO has confronted me. Just remember where you may NOT open carry and you should be fine.

Again, welcome home!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks for this forum...I hope this will be very helpful to me as I have just purchased a handgun and have learned so much from reading the posts here about OC laws in VA...am I correct in understanding that I can open carry anywhere that is permissible until I receive my CWP?

I can say with 110% accuracy YES to the bold/underlined query.

Welcome to the forum !

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO, and especially the merry band in the RVA area.

Yes, do come out to our OC Dinner next Tuesday (Sept 8th) to meet us. None of us are threatening even though some of us do look a little scary (Well, except me - I'm told I am downright frightening looking. :D )

I think I'll beat everybody else to the technical point - there are no CWPs in Virginia, just as there are no bars. We have CHPs (Concealed Handgun Permits) and restaurants ABC licensed for on-premises consumption. There! That's out of the way so the CHP Police :uhoh: will not have a chance to jump down your throat about it.

stay safe.

scouser

you can also continue to open carry in those same places after

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, but there is at least one. I have my ol' CWP somewhere......it is a mit stale dated now though. :lol:

Yep, me too. It's a collectors item.

Either one of those and three dollars will get you a $1.50 cup of coffee at the gun show. Otherwise they are only good for remembering "the good days" when having a CWP meant you knew somebody who knew somebody who was important or contributed to the Sheriff's reelection campaign.

And yes, I had one, too. Trashed it when they went from CWP to CHP.

Now can we quit splitting hairs in front of the new guy and try to behave long enough to get him to join us for the monthly dinner or a weekly breakfast?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Either one of those and three dollars will get you a $1.50 cup of coffee at the gun show. Otherwise they are only good for remembering "the good days" when having a CWP meant you knew somebody who knew somebody who was important or contributed to the Sheriff's reelection campaign.

And yes, I had one, too. Trashed it when they went from CWP to CHP.

Now can we quit splitting hairs in front of the new guy and try to behave long enough to get him to join us for the monthly dinner or a weekly breakfast?

stay safe.

Yep new guy. Come to dinner. If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta whiz on the hydrant.

Zscorpion44

Welcome to OCDO Zscorpion44. This website truly is a great source of information. As a matter of fact, you may open carry wherever permitted even without a CHP (Here in VA it's called a Concealed Handgun Permit). I've been open carrying here in NoVa for the past several years without a CHP and have had no real problems. There have been the wide-eyed stares and the whispered "He's got a gun" but no LEO has confronted me. Just remember where you may NOT open carry and you should be fine.

Again, welcome home!

Thanks

va_tazdad

Welcome aboard

The monthly dinners are a good time to meet and greet.

We also have weekly Saturday morning breakfasts. Generally, the time is 9:30 (Us "Olde Timers" still rise early, but it takes time to get the old bones and joints moving), and the location rotates from week to week.

Locations are usually posted Friday evening for everyone to see. Please feel free to join us at any of the gatherings.

;>)

Zscorpion44

Cwp

Welcome to OCDO, and especially the merry band in the RVA area.

Yes, do come out to our OC Dinner next Tuesday (Sept 8th) to meet us. None of us are threatening even though some of us do look a little scary (Well, except me - I'm told I am downright frightening looking. :D )

I think I'll beat everybody else to the technical point - there are no CWPs in Virginia, just as there are no bars. We have CHPs (Concealed Handgun Permits) and restaurants ABC licensed for on-premises consumption. There! That's out of the way so the CHP Police :uhoh: will not have a chance to jump down your throat about it.

stay safe.
I am so sorry about the CWP...I am a 52 year old black man that is new to the gun laws here so I am trying to get all the correct info that I can to keep my ass out of jail and out of trouble. I know that I will get stopped by the cops at some point and questioned but I feel that if I am approached correctly I will respond correctly...again thanks for the info and if I get back early enough on Tuesday I would love to meet some of you guys and hear some of the crazy stories.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am so sorry about the CWP....

No, I should apologize. There is a history of good-natured chain yanking and setting up replies from others so you can zing someone that person. You are the innocent bystander in this. Grapeshot and peter nap were the intended targets, hoping they would play "You are a real Richmonder if ....", which usually consists of remembering the past and telling folks how to get places by mentioning landmarks that used to be there but are no longer.

When (not if) you meet us at either a monthly dinner or weekly breakfast you will begin to understand how this fraternity of ours works and will suck you in to become a member yourself.

stay safe.

va_tazdad

I am so sorry about the CWP...I am a 52 year old black man that is new to the gun laws here so I am trying to get all the correct info that I can to keep my ass out of jail and out of trouble. I know that I will get stopped by the cops at some point and questioned but I feel that if I am approached correctly I will respond correctly...again thanks for the info and if I get back early enough on Tuesday I would love to meet some of you guys and hear some of the crazy stories.

LOL No need to apologize. There are members here that enjoy kidding each other. Most are founding members of the OPC/CRT* and recognize the jokes. Please do not be offended by our deranged rantings. This is a wonderful place for information and We welcome new members and are more than willing to educate and assist in any way we can.education. Please, join us at one of the gatherings and get to know us.

*(Olde Pharts Club/Cardiac Recovery Team)

solus

No, I should apologize. There is a history of good-natured chain yanking and setting up replies from others so you can zing someone that person. You are the innocent bystander in this. Grapeshot and peter nap were the intended targets, hoping they would play "You are a real Richmonder if ....", which usually consists of remembering the past and telling folks how to get places by mentioning landmarks that used to be there but are no longer.

When (not if) you meet us at either a monthly dinner or weekly breakfast you will begin to understand how this fraternity of ours works and will suck you in to become a member yourself.

stay safe.

so you guys always play practical pranks on each other? wow...

ipse