Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Paying It Forward - while OCing

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Paying It Forward - while OCing

    Purpose of this thread is to give credence to and demonstrate the benefit of unsolicited acts of kindness as it effects the image of OCers.

    Reports of giving to others by the user/member shall not be considered patting oneself on the back - simply telling a story.

    OTOH - being a recipient is a way of being told "Thank you" by another.

    Not counted will be cases where a friend who is a member of the club picks up the ticket.

    Gather round the campfire and let the tales begin.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    I have been both the recipient and the giver of more than a few RAKs (random acts of kindness).

    Just recently I paid for an elderly lady's carry out meal at Golden Corral. It mattered not if she was homeless or well invested. The point desired to be made was that there are good people in the world that have no ulterior motive other than making someone's day better.

    After finishing up a breakfast at Shoney's, I asked for the check only to find that a nice couple had paid the bill for me as a way of expressing their support/recognition for my responsible OCing.

    In our dining experiences, many of us tend to tip better than the average customer. Such not only helps with our acceptance as OCers, but also creates a memory that indeed good service pays off.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,754
    It is unfortunate that the forum doesn't support a "like" feature because this thread would get many likes from me.

    I have long been a proponent of picking up the tab, or at least a portion of the tab, for random strangers. I just like doing something nice for someone when they look like they are in dire need of having something nice happen to brighten their day.

    But I also have an ulterior motive since it is difficult for someone to feel upset about seeing an openly carried gun when the guy carrying it just paid for their lunch. I think it sticks a monkey wrench in the "guns are scary and only bad people carry guns" thought process.

    And, after a while of frequenting the same eateries, the minds of the staff are also loosened up about folks who carry guns.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 09-05-2015 at 08:23 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    A few years ago at a Starbucks which used to be my morning stop a pay it forward went on for over a month at the drive through window. I thought that was pretty awesome and I gladly participated, kudos to the stranger who started it all.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I have been both the recipient and the giver of more than a few RAKs (random acts of kindness).

    Just recently I paid for an elderly lady's carry out meal at Golden Corral. It mattered not if she was homeless or well invested. The point desired to be made was that there are good people in the world that have no ulterior motive other than making someone's day better.

    After finishing up a breakfast at Shoney's, I asked for the check only to find that a nice couple had paid the bill for me as a way of expressing their support/recognition for my responsible OCing.

    In our dining experiences, many of us tend to tip better than the average customer. Such not only helps with our acceptance as OCers, but also creates a memory that indeed good service pays off.
    Used to have a business card that said something along the lines of "your meal was paid for by the person with the openly carried gun". I might have to invest some money with Vis** P***t to get some made up again - it's about $5. Yes, I focus on the folks who give the stink-eye - and the parent(s) with the well-behaved kids, too.

    I get in trouble when I offer to buy a meal for the folks standing on the corner with a "Will work for food" sign. I've learned some new words over the years.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    I have been doing this for 40 years, I rarely pass a stranded motorist on the side of the road, while assisting I tell them my help is not free, I charge them with assisting 3 people they encounter. and each person they assist is to be charged with assisting 3 more and so on.

    Recently I saw a guy at an auto parts store buy an alternator and go outside, as I left I saw him squatting against a pole making a cell call. I was half in my truck but something screamed "I have a problem" so I went back to him and said "You look like a guy that could use a lift". Turns out the pulley on his van's alternator came loose and stranded him about 20 miles north of Laramie and an off duty sheriff's deputy had given him a ride to the store and said he would try to get another deputy to give him a ride back to his van, but no one was free.

    I gave him a ride to his van and told him that once I was injured in a fall while working (installing communications wiring) and the service truck they gave me when I started back had a faulty fuel gauge and ran out of gas at 1/4 tank. My arm was still in a sling (full thickness rotator cuff tear) under my coat and I was seriously limping from a broken pelvis and how no one would help a one armed man limping down the road in a snow storm with a gas can, so I do not pass someone in distress.

    When we got to the truck, I had to make a U turn through the interstate median and as I pulled up behind his van he said I had made a change in him and from then on he would not pass by someone in trouble. I said "Good because my help is not free, you owe me helping 3 people and each is to be charged with helping 3 more and so on". He said "YEA! Pay it forward, like in the movie, I'm gonna help more than 3 and pass it on".

    I really don't think I could count the number of people I have helped and charged with helping 3 more, I have no way of knowing if they all did, but maybe a few actually paid it forward.
    Last edited by F350; 09-05-2015 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Used to have a business card that said something along the lines of "your meal was paid for by the person with the openly carried gun". I might have to invest some money with Vis** P***t to get some made up again - it's about $5. Yes, I focus on the folks who give the stink-eye - and the parent(s) with the well-behaved kids, too.

    I get in trouble when I offer to buy a meal for the folks standing on the corner with a "Will work for food" sign. I've learned some new words over the years.

    stay safe.
    Yea, I use to be a partner in a company that installed and maintained business communications equipment, I was doing an install and really could use some help. I offered one of those guys to buy him lunch and pay him $10 an hour to help, boy did I get told off!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Yea, I use to be a partner in a company that installed and maintained business communications equipment, I was doing an install and really could use some help. I offered one of those guys to buy him lunch and pay him $10 an hour to help, boy did I get told off!!
    f350...i never stop to assist those on the side of the road cuz, in my world, automobiles, flying machines and other items operate under the FM principle! as for automobiles, i know how to get in, know where to insert the key to start the beastie and then know how to put it into gitty up and go!

    for those standing on street corners...i purchase McD's gift cards normally in the amount of 5-7$ and hand them out with the receipt so at least i know they have been given sustenance and not used the $$ for something inappropriate to their welfare ~ smokes, booze, drugs, etc. yes i know the mentality that these could and prob are traded but whomever ultimately ends up with the card, they at least can feed themselves or those under their care.

    if the weather if cold/freezing i up the amount to 10$ to be able to buy something more than once.

    been known to get an edible arrangement for an olde phart who was in need of pranking...

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 09-06-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Look at profile> all recent posts nonsensical> likely compromised old account> document> delete posts> perma ban account. That's how it's done boys.

    Now, where were we?

    Ah yes. Come to think of it, I've had meals generously purchased for me because I was openly carrying on at least two separate occasions. It was a humbling experience, I am very grateful for the support and generosity I was shown on those occasions. I also appreciate this thread reminding me of that generosity and reminding me to pass it on to others.
    Advocate freedom please

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    In our dining experiences, many of us tend to tip better than the average customer. Such not only helps with our acceptance as OCers, but also creates a memory that indeed good service pays off.
    This is Truth!!
    My Sweet Baboo and I tend to "tip well" to be remembered. Good service, good food, always gets better, and they remember the "nice gun people".

    As for TAKs, I believe in Karma, it has been a base for my life. What I do, I keep to myself because it makes it better for me. YMMV
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    This is Truth!!
    My Sweet Baboo and I tend to "tip well" to be remembered. Good service, good food, always gets better, and they remember the "nice gun people".

    As for TAKs, I believe in Karma, it has been a base for my life. What I do, I keep to myself because it makes it better for me. YMMV
    Totally sort of off topic.

    The cops stopped people from feeding the needy and hungry last winter, I think we should help them out this year if we can find the group who was harassed by the PD last year. OR we just do it ourselves.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Totally sort of off topic.

    The cops stopped people from feeding the needy and hungry last winter, I think we should help them out this year if we can find the group who was harassed by the PD last year. OR we just do it ourselves.
    Not really off topic - accept that thought train as an aside, qualifies as an unsolicited act of kindness.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not really off topic - accept that thought train as an aside, qualifies as an unsolicited act of kindness.
    True dat. The thread did pop the idea back into my head that had been brewing.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    A couple of weeks ago while walking back from the grocery store (OC of course), I saw someone with a sign that said "hungry, will accept anything rather than steal" at the entrance to the lot. I provided whatever spare change I had on me and wished them the best. The way I see it, I gave them the chance to help themselves. What they do with charity is up to them.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Boomboy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    This is Truth!!
    My Sweet Baboo and I tend to "tip well" to be remembered. Good service, good food, always gets better, and they remember the "nice gun people".

    As for TAKs, I believe in Karma, it has been a base for my life. What I do, I keep to myself because it makes it better for me. YMMV
    I have seen Sarge do this on multiple occasions. One thing he fails to mention is that he always includes at least one crisp, completely legal tender $2 bill. I am sure that he is not soon forgotten.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Totally sort of off topic.

    The cops stopped people from feeding the needy and hungry last winter, I think we should help them out this year if we can find the group who was harassed by the PD last year. OR we just do it ourselves.
    I recall a time or two when someone OCing wandered about watching the folks handing out bag lunches to the homeless. Happened during a time when the city wanted to use the cops to close down the activity. IIRC on both occasions the cops diverted from harassing the feed-the-homeless folks and followed the OCer - no overt harassment as they had learned their lesson previously, but quite a nice feeling having one's own security detail.

    By all means volunteer to help hand out food to the homeless. You may find that bit of positive karma helpful later on.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    23235
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    .... What they do with charity is up to them.
    Snapped this one on the way home a few weeks ago. Not the best camera perspective, but you can make out what it says.
    Last edited by Liberty-or-Death; 09-10-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Be active.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    Snapped this one on the way home a few weeks ago. Not the best camera perspective, but you can make out what it says.
    Lack of beverage alert - christened the keyboard.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I recall a time or two when someone OCing wandered about watching the folks handing out bag lunches to the homeless. Happened during a time when the city wanted to use the cops to close down the activity. IIRC on both occasions the cops diverted from harassing the feed-the-homeless folks and followed the OCer - no overt harassment as they had learned their lesson previously, but quite a nice feeling having one's own security detail.

    By all means volunteer to help hand out food to the homeless. You may find that bit of positive karma helpful later on.

    stay safe.
    +1

    That is our feelings and hopes too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    f350...i never stop to assist those on the side of the road cuz, in my world, automobiles, flying machines and other items operate under the FM principle! as for automobiles, i know how to get in, know where to insert the key to start the beastie and then know how to put it into gitty up and go!
    Don't have to be a master mechanic to give someone a ride so they aren't stranded along the road.

    Once I waited with 3 young women (headed home after a wedding) at dusk along I-70 until friends behind them got there to give them a ride home. They told me they were scared because women break down on the interstate and are never seen again frequently and were relieved to see I had the wife with me and I was armed. All were over 21 so I referred them to a buddy who was a firearms trainer in their home town and advised them all to get their CCWs. Charged all three with helping three more, BUT not to stop along the highway, I do because I'm armed and prepared to use it, they could find other ways.

    Saw one of those 1970-80s custom vans along the highway in the middle of the winter, a mile later saw a guy walking wearing just a light jacket, slacks and dress shoes, it was near zero with a 30 mph wind. I picked him up, his gas gauge didn't work and he ran out of gas while taking his mother to the doctor, took him to the next gas station where he got a can of gas and took him back to the van. It was freezing inside and his elderly mother was wrapped in some blankets but still shivering, so I got four body warmers from my winter survival bag and put one between her shoulder blades, one at her kidneys, one at her stomach and one at her feet.

    She blessed me a dozen times and said I was an angel sent by God to save her..... Insisted I take a Saint Christopher medal (patron saint of travelers) not much of a believer but I still have it.

    No mechanical skills needed, just a helping hand.
    Last edited by F350; 09-10-2015 at 07:35 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    559
    I'm into 80's Japanese muscle bikes so I'm always looking to help out stranded Harley riders!😳 I've been bailed out a time or two as well.

    Had 8 at one time but down a bit. V65s, ZL900/1000s and such, plus some newer stuff. I was on my way back from dropping off a ZRX1200 at my son's apartment with an enclosed trailer and I saw a bike on the 4 lane shoulder in the open in a light/medium drizzle. Pulled behind them as I figured you wouldn't stop here if you had a choice, plus I had a trailer with a chock and straps, anyway they were going my way.

    Saw a woman, then a guy in the treeline hot footing it up the hill. She was on the phone trying to get a trailer as they had a flat rear tire. Come to find they were just going across town from me. So, we shoved it in the trailer and took off. When the woman first saw me she said "You have A GUN!" I think he was down in the trees taking a leak, I didn't see him right away.

    She seemed a little nervous, but he was asking a lot of questions. From Milwaukee headed to northern WI.

    I don't generally stop, if I see someone walking in below zero I will. I go to work a lot between 3 and 5 am, too many drunks out, don't need that.

  22. #22
    Regular Member NoTolerance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    297
    I know Grapeshot said this isn't about patting yourself on the back, but I'm still shy about sharing my RAOKs with other people. Some people in the WI forum may know me, but given that I'm relatively anonymous here, I guess I'll make an exception and share a couple.

    I'm one of "those" guys that has about a half dozen pro-gun stickers on the back of my pick up. Save the commentary. I've also been told through most of my adult life that I don't exactly look like a nice guy. You can probably read between the lines there.

    Truth is, though, I'm kind of a teddy bear, and I feel for my fellow man and do what I can, when I can. I may not always be open carrying, but I'm always carrying.

    I'm also that guy who took my truck out during that bad snow storm these past couple of winters, driving up and down streets and highways. I had a tow chain and straps in the back and, when I saw you stuck or spun out, I pulled you back into a spot where you could find traction, saving you the long wait and expense of a tow truck or the back breaking shoveling you were trying to do. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy who stopped at Goodwill to drop off some clothes this past week and, seeing you and your wife getting ready to load a couch onto the roof or trunk of your small car, told you to let me put it in the back of my now empty truck bed and that I would follow you home. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that saw you broken down at that really busy intersection in your pickup truck, turned around and came back to help you push it into a safer spot while we took a quick look at it to see if we could get it running. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that stopped at your daughter's lemonade stand and dropped $20 in her cash box for my cup of Hi-C. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that did your brakes for the cost of parts because I knew you couldn't afford the labor. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that saw your kids counting out their pennies for the couple of snacks they were trying to get at the Speedway and, when they came up short, told them to save their money for next time and paid for their goodies. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that got really pissed when a couple of violent sexual predators were being placed into your neighborhood, so I got a few of my friends together and we went door-to-door, offering a free concealed carry class so you and your family knew you had options to protect yourselves against filth like that. I was carrying while I did it.

    These are some of my stories. But really, at the end of the day, I'm just some guy.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance View Post
    I know Grapeshot said this isn't about patting yourself on the back, but I'm still shy about sharing my RAOKs with other people. Some people in the WI forum may know me, but given that I'm relatively anonymous here, I guess I'll make an exception and share a couple.

    I'm one of "those" guys that has about a half dozen pro-gun stickers on the back of my pick up. Save the commentary. I've also been told through most of my adult life that I don't exactly look like a nice guy. You can probably read between the lines there.

    Truth is, though, I'm kind of a teddy bear, and I feel for my fellow man and do what I can, when I can. I may not always be open carrying, but I'm always carrying.

    I'm also that guy who took my truck out during that bad snow storm these past couple of winters, driving up and down streets and highways. I had a tow chain and straps in the back and, when I saw you stuck or spun out, I pulled you back into a spot where you could find traction, saving you the long wait and expense of a tow truck or the back breaking shoveling you were trying to do. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy who stopped at Goodwill to drop off some clothes this past week and, seeing you and your wife getting ready to load a couch onto the roof or trunk of your small car, told you to let me put it in the back of my now empty truck bed and that I would follow you home. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that saw you broken down at that really busy intersection in your pickup truck, turned around and came back to help you push it into a safer spot while we took a quick look at it to see if we could get it running. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that stopped at your daughter's lemonade stand and dropped $20 in her cash box for my cup of Hi-C. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that did your brakes for the cost of parts because I knew you couldn't afford the labor. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that saw your kids counting out their pennies for the couple of snacks they were trying to get at the Speedway and, when they came up short, told them to save their money for next time and paid for their goodies. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that got really pissed when a couple of violent sexual predators were being placed into your neighborhood, so I got a few of my friends together and we went door-to-door, offering a free concealed carry class so you and your family knew you had options to protect yourselves against filth like that. I was carrying while I did it.

    These are some of my stories. But really, at the end of the day, I'm just some guy.
    We love stories from the not so naked city.

    From OP: Reports of giving to others by the user/member shall not be considered patting oneself on the back - simply telling a story.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-14-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added for clarification
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    This was posted on another gun site:
    "A woman at the grocery store paid my $155 bill! My debit card was acting up, and when I left the line to go use the ATM, I came back to a paid bill. Absolutely AMAZING generosity. I was stunned."
    Wow, that is huge.
    My kids love cucumbers, and my daughter once said at a shoppete that "we have nothing to eat". (Full fridge, just no cucumbers) A lady offered my wife $20 to buy some food. Kindly declined, but very touching.
    Last year myself, and a couple others sent out some Safeway gift cards to members of a local forum at Thanksgiving.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance View Post
    I know Grapeshot said this isn't about patting yourself on the back, but I'm still shy about sharing my RAOKs with other people. Some people in the WI forum may know me, but given that I'm relatively anonymous here, I guess I'll make an exception and share a couple.

    I'm one of "those" guys that has about a half dozen pro-gun stickers on the back of my pick up. Save the commentary. I've also been told through most of my adult life that I don't exactly look like a nice guy. You can probably read between the lines there.

    Truth is, though, I'm kind of a teddy bear, and I feel for my fellow man and do what I can, when I can. I may not always be open carrying, but I'm always carrying.

    I'm also that guy who took my truck out during that bad snow storm these past couple of winters, driving up and down streets and highways. I had a tow chain and straps in the back and, when I saw you stuck or spun out, I pulled you back into a spot where you could find traction, saving you the long wait and expense of a tow truck or the back breaking shoveling you were trying to do. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy who stopped at Goodwill to drop off some clothes this past week and, seeing you and your wife getting ready to load a couch onto the roof or trunk of your small car, told you to let me put it in the back of my now empty truck bed and that I would follow you home. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that saw you broken down at that really busy intersection in your pickup truck, turned around and came back to help you push it into a safer spot while we took a quick look at it to see if we could get it running. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that stopped at your daughter's lemonade stand and dropped $20 in her cash box for my cup of Hi-C. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that did your brakes for the cost of parts because I knew you couldn't afford the labor. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that saw your kids counting out their pennies for the couple of snacks they were trying to get at the Speedway and, when they came up short, told them to save their money for next time and paid for their goodies. I was carrying while I did it.

    I'm that guy that got really pissed when a couple of violent sexual predators were being placed into your neighborhood, so I got a few of my friends together and we went door-to-door, offering a free concealed carry class so you and your family knew you had options to protect yourselves against filth like that. I was carrying while I did it.

    These are some of my stories. But really, at the end of the day, I'm just some guy.
    I think that's probably a lot of us, good deal!

    Every Goodwill I've been in has a no gun sign on the door. You never said you went inside, I saw that. I check at them every once in a while for sport coats, since nobody seems to wear them anymore. I've also gotten a few like new Hawaiian😎😳😎 shirts and some never worn that I can tell, long sleeved dress shirts. I'm a shirt collar/pocket kind of guy. Never wear sweatshirts or t shirts.

    So, I begrudgingly leave my gun in my truck, but leave holster and mags on. Then I say I'm not ever doing that again. I can afford new shirts, but a brand new never worn shirt for $4.00 is hard to pass up. Not my proudest moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •