• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paying It Forward - while OCing

Wstar425

I'm into 80's Japanese muscle bikes so I'm always looking to help out stranded Harley riders!😳 I've been bailed out a time or two as well.

Had 8 at one time but down a bit. V65s, ZL900/1000s and such, plus some newer stuff. I was on my way back from dropping off a ZRX1200 at my son's apartment with an enclosed trailer and I saw a bike on the 4 lane shoulder in the open in a light/medium drizzle. Pulled behind them as I figured you wouldn't stop here if you had a choice, plus I had a trailer with a chock and straps, anyway they were going my way.

Saw a woman, then a guy in the treeline hot footing it up the hill. She was on the phone trying to get a trailer as they had a flat rear tire. Come to find they were just going across town from me. So, we shoved it in the trailer and took off. When the woman first saw me she said "You have A GUN!" I think he was down in the trees taking a leak, I didn't see him right away.

She seemed a little nervous, but he was asking a lot of questions. From Milwaukee headed to northern WI.

I don't generally stop, if I see someone walking in below zero I will. I go to work a lot between 3 and 5 am, too many drunks out, don't need that.

NoTolerance

I know Grapeshot said this isn't about patting yourself on the back, but I'm still shy about sharing my RAOKs with other people. Some people in the WI forum may know me, but given that I'm relatively anonymous here, I guess I'll make an exception and share a couple.

I'm one of "those" guys that has about a half dozen pro-gun stickers on the back of my pick up. Save the commentary. I've also been told through most of my adult life that I don't exactly look like a nice guy. You can probably read between the lines there.

Truth is, though, I'm kind of a teddy bear, and I feel for my fellow man and do what I can, when I can. I may not always be open carrying, but I'm always carrying.

I'm also that guy who took my truck out during that bad snow storm these past couple of winters, driving up and down streets and highways. I had a tow chain and straps in the back and, when I saw you stuck or spun out, I pulled you back into a spot where you could find traction, saving you the long wait and expense of a tow truck or the back breaking shoveling you were trying to do. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy who stopped at Goodwill to drop off some clothes this past week and, seeing you and your wife getting ready to load a couch onto the roof or trunk of your small car, told you to let me put it in the back of my now empty truck bed and that I would follow you home. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that saw you broken down at that really busy intersection in your pickup truck, turned around and came back to help you push it into a safer spot while we took a quick look at it to see if we could get it running. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that stopped at your daughter's lemonade stand and dropped $20 in her cash box for my cup of Hi-C. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that did your brakes for the cost of parts because I knew you couldn't afford the labor. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that saw your kids counting out their pennies for the couple of snacks they were trying to get at the Speedway and, when they came up short, told them to save their money for next time and paid for their goodies. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that got really pissed when a couple of violent sexual predators were being placed into your neighborhood, so I got a few of my friends together and we went door-to-door, offering a free concealed carry class so you and your family knew you had options to protect yourselves against filth like that. I was carrying while I did it.

These are some of my stories. But really, at the end of the day, I'm just some guy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know Grapeshot said this isn't about patting yourself on the back, but I'm still shy about sharing my RAOKs with other people. Some people in the WI forum may know me, but given that I'm relatively anonymous here, I guess I'll make an exception and share a couple.

I'm one of "those" guys that has about a half dozen pro-gun stickers on the back of my pick up. Save the commentary. I've also been told through most of my adult life that I don't exactly look like a nice guy. You can probably read between the lines there.

Truth is, though, I'm kind of a teddy bear, and I feel for my fellow man and do what I can, when I can. I may not always be open carrying, but I'm always carrying.

I'm also that guy who took my truck out during that bad snow storm these past couple of winters, driving up and down streets and highways. I had a tow chain and straps in the back and, when I saw you stuck or spun out, I pulled you back into a spot where you could find traction, saving you the long wait and expense of a tow truck or the back breaking shoveling you were trying to do. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy who stopped at Goodwill to drop off some clothes this past week and, seeing you and your wife getting ready to load a couch onto the roof or trunk of your small car, told you to let me put it in the back of my now empty truck bed and that I would follow you home. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that saw you broken down at that really busy intersection in your pickup truck, turned around and came back to help you push it into a safer spot while we took a quick look at it to see if we could get it running. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that stopped at your daughter's lemonade stand and dropped $20 in her cash box for my cup of Hi-C. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that did your brakes for the cost of parts because I knew you couldn't afford the labor. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that saw your kids counting out their pennies for the couple of snacks they were trying to get at the Speedway and, when they came up short, told them to save their money for next time and paid for their goodies. I was carrying while I did it.

I'm that guy that got really pissed when a couple of violent sexual predators were being placed into your neighborhood, so I got a few of my friends together and we went door-to-door, offering a free concealed carry class so you and your family knew you had options to protect yourselves against filth like that. I was carrying while I did it.

These are some of my stories. But really, at the end of the day, I'm just some guy.
We love stories from the not so naked city. :)

From OP: Reports of giving to others by the user/member shall not be considered patting oneself on the back - simply telling a story.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
This was posted on another gun site:
"A woman at the grocery store paid my $155 bill! My debit card was acting up, and when I left the line to go use the ATM, I came back to a paid bill. Absolutely AMAZING generosity. I was stunned."
Wow, that is huge.
My kids love cucumbers, and my daughter once said at a shoppete that "we have nothing to eat". (Full fridge, just no cucumbers) A lady offered my wife $20 to buy some food. Kindly declined, but very touching.
Last year myself, and a couple others sent out some Safeway gift cards to members of a local forum at Thanksgiving.

Wstar425

I think that's probably a lot of us, good deal!

Every Goodwill I've been in has a no gun sign on the door. You never said you went inside, I saw that. I check at them every once in a while for sport coats, since nobody seems to wear them anymore. I've also gotten a few like new Hawaiian😎😳😎 shirts and some never worn that I can tell, long sleeved dress shirts. I'm a shirt collar/pocket kind of guy. Never wear sweatshirts or t shirts.

So, I begrudgingly leave my gun in my truck, but leave holster and mags on. Then I say I'm not ever doing that again. I can afford new shirts, but a brand new never worn shirt for $4.00 is hard to pass up. Not my proudest moment.

solus

Have neither seen nor had a problem in Virginia Goodwill outlets.

local goodwill are posted and last time I donated I rang the bell for about 2 min and got a cranky individual whining why I bothered them and pointed to the sign and handed them my bag of clothes...

ipse

B

Bikenut

Went to Taco Bell for lunch and overheard one of two old guys (well ....my age) at the counter ask the other if he had 18 cents. So I handed the cashier $5 and told the guys to enjoy their meal. The look on their faces ...as they noticed my sidearm....was priceless. And I went on my way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
local goodwill are posted and last time I donated I rang the bell for about 2 min and got a cranky individual whining why I bothered them and pointed to the sign and handed them my bag of clothes...

ipse
I am not employed by nor volunteer in Goodwill outlets. :)

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Never seen gun buster signs at our Goodwills. Shop there quite a bit they do a lot of good in the community. In fact our local Goodwill likes having us openly armed folks in the store both MSG and I have been told so.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
In fact our local Goodwill likes having us openly armed folks in the store both MSG and I have been told so.

We have been asked by their management to stop by on friday and saturday evenings, just to say "hello" I have been told that they "feel safer" seeing us. That said, I am nobody's LEO. I am a Legally Armed Citizen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Went to Shoney's on W. Broad St. (Richmond) to inject calories into my system this morning. There had been 2 men (sure that one was CCing) and a lady seated to my right. After finishing their breakfast, the lady came over to my booth and told me that my ticket had been paid and Merry Christmas.

Thank you, but why? She simply said, "Paying it forward. Have a Merry Christmas."

MamaLiberty

A little different...

Since I never eat "out," I don't fit in this particular category. I am a certified firearms and self defense instructor, however, and I do carry openly all the time. (Caveat for "Wyoming open carry" during the winter... sometimes there is a coat involved. :) )

Don't get questions too often anymore, but when people ask me about the gun I give them my card and invite them to come to my free weekly shooting clinic at the gun club here, or to arrange for a firearms or self defense class - one to one or bring a group of their friends. All I charge for are the materials used. I specialize in classes for women, disabled, elderly - as well as provide the basic safety training to children of all ages.

I'm a woman, long term disabled, and neary 70 years old, which gives me some cred to teach those anyway. :)

Can't see how to insert a photo here or I'd show you. :)

sudden valley gunner

Since I never eat "out," I don't fit in this particular category. I am a certified firearms and self defense instructor, however, and I do carry openly all the time. (Caveat for "Wyoming open carry" during the winter... sometimes there is a coat involved. :) )

Don't get questions too often anymore, but when people ask me about the gun I give them my card and invite them to come to my free weekly shooting clinic at the gun club here, or to arrange for a firearms or self defense class - one to one or bring a group of their friends. All I charge for are the materials used. I specialize in classes for women, disabled, elderly - as well as provide the basic safety training to children of all ages.

I'm a woman, long term disabled, and neary 70 years old, which gives me some cred to teach those anyway. :)

Can't see how to insert a photo here or I'd show you. :)

Have to host the photo on another site and then past the link.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner
Have to host the photo on another site and then past the link.
Have to host the photo on a server and then pass the link. FIFY
Have to host the photo on a server and then paste the link. FIFY :p

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Opened my mailbox a few days before Halloween (Samhain) and found an envelope with cash in it. A little note marked RAK, explained that they appreciated what we do and just wanted to help support the decorations. I felt humbled that my Community felt that way about our display.
The cash went to the local Humane Society.