• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Cult of Lincoln

utbagpiper

Banned
LOl....

Wow lets grab a mistake on plurality and make that the entire basis of an argument.:rolleyes:

Was it a mistake, SVG? Or is it part of a progression to craft a narrative that fits your preconceived notions without admitting the facts don't support that notion. I note the progression from plural warships, to singular warship, to simply not surrendering valuable assets as being what you've put up as justification for SC to engage in the use of deadly force against those who did not even return fire when fired upon the first time.

I'll ask again, on what date did SC first engage in violence against federal installations? How does that date compare to the date on which any warship showed up in the harbor?

The answer, that you are loathe to type is simple:

SC fired on the fort, on federal soldiers not engaging in any violence, and on an unarmed supply ship in late December 1860. SC laid siege to the fort preventing resupply of food. This was over two months before Lincoln was sworn into office.

Between then and March of 1861, SC forcibly seized multiple federal assets.

On the early morning of April 12, SC opened fire on the fort hours before any warship was in their harbor. They did so knowing the soldiers were on the verge of running out of food and having been informed that Lincoln was promising only to supply food, that no additional men or weapons would be put into the fort unless the fort was attacked.

Why are you so loathe to simply admit this indisputable sequence of events? Does SC's justification for opening fire break down if they were blockaded? Did SC really have a right to seize all federal assets simply by deciding they were not going to be part of the union any more? Or were they obliged to seek peaceful resolution to property ownership and deployment of federal troops before using force?

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Oh most definitely. As they should want it. Of course who knows how it would have worked out in Congress who were debating on what to do about it. The military personal there should have left when SC left the union and no longer desired what amounts to a foreign army on their soil anymore.

So the union should have surrendered valuable property the moment SC declared secession?

Had this been a union-sympathetic individual who owned property, would he have also been obliged to abandon his property simply because SC declared independence? If not, why should several million union-sympathetic individuals comprising the citizens of the Northern States be required to abandon property in which they had legal interest?

I thought morality didn't change simply because you were talking about groups rather than individuals.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Well, that's the second time you've called me a dirty word. Iirc, I've never sworn at you, called you dirty names, or lobbed intentionally hateful personal insults.

Hogwash. You've had multiple posts moderated because you lobbed deliberately bigoted and hateful attacks at me, my State, and my religious affiliation. You really have no room to turn around and claim to be greatly hurt over what is generally considered a fairly mild insult directed at a specific instance of petty behavior.

Noting how much someone loves the sound of their own voice is hardly close to cussing someone out. It's not an insult, it's observing reality.

You lose all rights to cry foul over your treatment here, as you continue to personally attack in the most aggressively offensive manner possible.

I've never met anyone with such a delicate constitution as to claim that "dick" was "cussing someone out" much less "in the most aggressively offensive manner possible." It was an insult. I own that. I'll accept whatever penalty the mods deem proper. I think you deserved it.

Your snipe at my verbosity--especially when I was agreeing with you--was petty and did nothing to contribute to the discussion. There was no reason for it other than to insult. Calling it an "observation" is weak sauce, and most likely dishonest to boot.

I'm here to discuss, not to practice bumper sticker logic. And I'm tired of the indirect insults about "style" or verbosity or whatnot.

Regardless of our past disagreements and some rather ugly bigotries from you, I have no problem agreeing with you when I think you are correct. What a pity that you and some others put personality so much above everything else.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
I suspect that current polling data contradicts your contention. Though, We The People are notorious complainers and non-doers. In other words, the feds suck, except my fed. ;) A victim of our own design me thinks. But, this does not change the fact that our elected reps are certainly not representing us once we put them in office.

Yet we continue to re-elect them overwhelming this is objective data that cannot be refuted. So either "we" (collectively) are stupid, OR, they are actually representing the majority. Either that or there is massive vote fraud to the benefit of the incumbents. Take your pick. Either I have a low view of my fellow citizens as being stupid, or I have low view of them for wanting what they are getting (and your contention that "we" are not being represented is challenged), or the entire election is a total sham.

Which do you suppose it is? Or do you have another alternative?

Just a nit. The point is that the (then) federal government, that Lincoln perpetuated, continued to abuse the states...before they were states. very relevant in my view.

Kind of begs the question doesn't it? My point is that Lincoln didn't express any desire to punish the south or persecute the Mormons. Both happened after his death. The punishment of the south would not have been possible save for winning the war. But the federal government doesn't need to be overly-large in order to mistreat residents of mere territories or to impose unequal requirements to become a State.

Utah had a choice to make and they chose to become a state. Granted, they thought that statehood meant more autonomy vs. being a territory, but, the citizens held great power over the feds via sheer numbers as just one example.

"The Fed" was comprised of millions of citizens of union States. The entire Confederacy failed to break away. A single, relatively small population territory? The privations suffered as a territory made Statehood the least offensive option.

Men were jailed in terrible conditions. Women had the franchise removed in an effort to disenfranchise Mormons generally. We were being "governed" by those who hated us. This after having been run from State to State to State, murdered, raped, looted, and turned out in winter multiple times.

It wasn't the government of Lincoln that persecuted my ancestors. It was the people of the Northeast (and then South) who hated Mormons.

I cannot argue this, yet those who the citizenry of the south elected were exempt from the Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction. No, Lincoln would not tolerate total reunification...though, what "general" would not exempt those who waged the war beyond the fodder that were the front line of battle. Winners do get to be choosers. Might makes right...even to this day.

Yup. Even Lincoln wasn't perfectly charitable. But far more so than those who followed.

I again asj what wrongs? Utah agreed to the land grab as a condition of entry into the union as a state. I see no impetus to take the lands back from the feds? At least the south tried, and failed, to act on their constitutional right.

Agreed at the point of a gun. Agreed as every prior State (after the original 13 agreed) under the implicit understanding that once clear title was obtained by the feds, the land would quickly be returned to the State, on equal footing as it had been with prior States.

Those who do not see the wrongs do not understand the impact of having land withhold.

60% of my State's land cannot be developed without federal (ie "environmental") consent. It is also beyond reach of State property tax or even State regulation. My State spends one of the highest percentages of its budget on education of any State in the union, yet is second to bottom in per pupil spending. How would your State fair on school taxes if 60% of your land mass were beyond State taxes? How would your economy fair if 60% of your land could not be developed?

Despite being a geographically large State, Utah is one of the most urbanized States in the nation. Land for housing is relatively limited. Roads are routinely closed to public access. Land is closed to hunting and motorized recreation on the whims of unelected bureaucrats in agencies that barely even exist in most eastern States. What know you of the BLM? Or the Antiquities Act?

The wrongs committed by the feds in Utah and other Western States come to a head in issues like the Bundy Ranch in Nevada.

Anyone who presumes to care about federal over-reach who doesn't familiarize himself what the feds have done and continue to do in/to Western States is not really worried about federal over-reach nearly so much as just about some personal grievances.

I've been to Utah and certain geographical realities make your claimed suffering ring hollow. Not much in the way of Utah is needed for useful things, certainly not past Lake Point and Windover, nor Spanish Fork to St. George. Also, there is a whole lotta green on the Utah map. If Utah objects to this there is a process to get the feds to return that green, and remaining lands, to Utah.

Your ignorance of the realities of Western living make your opinions of very little value since they lack information. In our semi-arid region, 40 acres and mule won't make a living. Grazing cattle requires large areas of land. Ditto any logging operations. The second largest low sulfur coal deposit in the world is located near Escalante, but is locked up in a federal monument created by the stroke of Clinton's pen to curry political favor with California and east-coast tree huggers. We have massive reserves of natural gas and shale oil that cannot be developed because of federal land policies.

The South has been oppressed by the North since at least 1850. For southerners to be blind to the way the same northern region imposes on the western States is unfortunate. What is worse is when southerners implicitly approve of or attempt to diminish the extent of that abuse.

Lincoln was "bad" not because I say so, but because his entire effort on preserving the union was based on the irrefutable fact, in his mind, that secession was a attempt to overthrow the then federal government. Not merely several states exiting from the union while leaving the remaining union's federal government to its own devices. Rebellion/insurrection, as cited in the constitution, was redefined by Lincoln.

I won't dispute this. What I do dispute is the extent to which current ills can be rightly laid entirely at Lincoln's feet.

No doubt, he redefined the relationship between States and feds. Sadly, the strongest attempt to correct that was again on the part of the South in its attempt to maintain racist Jim Crow laws. It is a shame--and not Lincoln's doing--that "States' rights" is so often associated with racism, bigotry, and attempts to discriminate and ignore constitutional rights.

Had the South's secession not been so much about slavery, they might have actually seen England jump into the war and assist them. (Whether that would ultimately have been good or not is another question.) Save for slavery, northern residents would likely have lost resolve and let the South secede once it was clear the fight would be long and hard. Save for racism and resulting Jim Crow in the South (the north was a bit more subtle in their racism by 1960 it seems), we might have seen some return to the proper balance of power between the feds and the States. But when "States' rights" is used to impose Jim Crow, it is hard to get any moral support for local authority.

Charles

OC for ME

Oh most definitely. As they should want it. Of course who knows how it would have worked out in Congress who were debating on what to do about it. The military personal there should have left when SC left the union and no longer desired what amounts to a foreign army on their soil anymore.
If the South, General P.G.T. Beauregard in particular, would have waited three more days he would have "taken" Fort Sumpter without firing a shot.

Yet we continue to re-elect them overwhelming this is objective data that cannot be refuted. ...
Yes we do continue to re-elect those who do us a disservice. But I am not apart of the "we." Neither do I think you are apart of the "we." What to do about it? Good question. Other than keep doing what we are doing, that is electing , or trying to get elected, folks who respect the constitution in their deeds as well as their oat. Sadly, many of our fellow citizens are neither stupid, or wanting, they are non-participants. I'll concede this topic and move along.

Kind of begs the question doesn't it? ....
I'll leave the reader to decide for himself. I am no expert on the history of the Mormon faith.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55295235-78/lincoln-mormons-brigham-president.html.csp

"The Fed" was comprised of millions of citizens of union States. ....
I think I stated this and you also imply that the Lincoln administration had a adverse and harmful impact in the citizens of the then Utah territory. Lincoln was no friend of Mormons, nor would he "let them be" while he was alive. Intentional? Maybe, hard to say one way or the other now-a-days.

Yup. Even Lincoln wasn't perfectly charitable. But far more so than those who followed.
OK.

Your ignorance of the realities of Western living make your opinions of very little value since they lack information. ...
I'll move along from this. Any further discussion would be unproductive given than you know that I am ignorant on the relationship between the western states and the federal government.

I won't dispute this. What I do dispute is the extent to which current ills can be rightly laid entirely at Lincoln's feet. ...
Lincoln was not preserving the union. Lincoln was preserving the then federal government. The union was forever torn asunder even though the southern states was brought back into the union.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Agree or not, your choice. "We" did it once and Lincoln would not countenance "it" happening again. Lincoln was most certainly not pro union, he was pro federal government.

We (my ancestors) in the south risked everything for what we firmly believed was our right. The Lincoln government would not have any of this and this is how we are where we are today. If you think slavery was the issue, go right ahead, I'll no argue what you believe.

...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/gettysburg.htm
Lincoln had no regard for the principles of liberty as far as I am concerned.

sudden valley gunner

Hahaha now I'm the progressive for not supporting the progessive Lincoln......that's rich.....:p

The military should have left, as soon as SC seceded. Actually they should have left while their politicians debated it.

If one single fort, is the basis for an argument justifying invasion of a sovereign country, the slaughter of 100's of thousands of people, the destruction of the union, the destruction of constitutional restraints and tyranny.......the argument is weak sauce.

PS Lincoln being in office matters not to SC kicking the northern military out of their state.

Lincoln knew the war wasn't started yet and why he maneuvered SC into firing upon a warship in their territory that was supplying an unwanted military unit, to rationalize the war.

Dave_pro2a

Yet we continue to re-elect them overwhelming this is objective data that cannot be refuted. So either "we" (collectively) are stupid, OR, they are actually representing the majority. Either that or there is massive vote fraud to the benefit of the incumbents. Take your pick. Either I have a low view of my fellow citizens as being stupid, or I have low view of them for wanting what they are getting (and your contention that "we" are not being represented is challenged), or the entire election is a total sham.

Which do you suppose it is? Or do you have another alternative?

You suffer from binary thinking. It's not this or that.

"We" are collectively stupid. I.e. Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo stupid.
Politicos do represent the vocal majority. Pubic education, video game culture, reality TV culture, etc. Welcome to Idiocracy. #1 culprit, our indoctrination education system.
There is massive voting fraud. We have political dynasties in play here, ACORN fraud, Christine Gregoire fraud, corporations buying influence, hanging chads, unsecured e-voting, etc.
American politics is a total sham. A shame of a sham. We're a 3rd world country living on borrowed money (check our finances if you doubt that).

Since you bring it up, IMHO:

You do view everyone else as stupid.
You do view the world as wrong, and you as right.

Enjoy your Thursday, no one else can do that for you :D

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
"We" are collectively stupid. I.e. Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo stupid.
Politicos do represent the vocal majority. Pubic education, video game culture, reality TV culture, etc. Welcome to Idiocracy. #1 culprit, our indoctrination education system.
Since you bring it up, IMHO:

You do view everyone else as stupid.
You do view the world as wrong, and you as right.

To the extent I view the masses as ill informed and too easily manipulated or bought off by bread and circuses, it seems I enjoy your company in such thinking.

I hope that doesn't cause you too much consternation.

Were we disagree--which may allow you to enjoy your day--is that while I have deep concerns about vote fraud, I do not believe that fraud is insurmountable. I believe that we can win, we can protect and advance our rights, through proper, peaceful, grassroots political and social activism. I believe we will win. I base this belief on my observations in my home State, and across many other States, as well as the national landscape on RKBA over the last 30 years.

Whatever losses I see in certain social areas, I am very optimistic on the future of our RKBA. The very rulings that upset liberals about "corporate money" in politics protects our ability to be actively involved and vocal in politics rather than being subjected to fines or jail just for making movies or writing about candidates in a negative light. With freedom of speech (including practical political speech) and RKBA gaining ground, I am thus optimistic for our society in whole.

It won't be exactly what I'd hope for. But I think it respect our rights sufficiently for decent men to live peaceful, productive, happy lives of freedom.

If I believed anything else, there would be reason to participate on this forum, to spend time in politics, nor to OC with any intent or desire to increase social and legal acceptance of that practice.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Pure hogwash. You know, prior to your re-entry into the discussion, we were actually productively discussing how communities my come together and legitimately limit or control immigration. Then you come along and start spewing this hate for fellow man, with an attitude like failure to preserve tradition at the point of a sword will result in the most dire of dooms for us all. Give it a rest.

This post is increasingly disgusting. That you'd generally and casually liken immigrants to invading military forces is reprehensible.

Nice double standard. And nice use of liberal tactics.

1-I never referred to "immigrants" in any derogatory manner. My concerns were expressed towards "new comers" and quite clearly in the context of illegal aliens. To conflate lawful immigrants and illegal aliens is no different than mixing law abiding gun owners in with gang banger criminals who gun down others over minor slights.

2-I never expressed any "hate for my fellow man". Just as we do not express hatred for anyone when we carry guns for self defense. We simply recognize that not everyone has good intentions.

3-My questions about what difference a uniform or lack thereof makes if the intentions of those entering the nation are hostile is perfectly legitimate. An internet search for "Atzlan goals" or "MEChA constitution" would make clear that some who enter our nation are doing so to return lands to Mexican/Hispanic rule. A similar search for "isis infiltrating refugees" would turn up news articles on Islamic terrorists' stated plans to enter our nation to wage war from within. There is nothing at all "disgusting" about noting that such violence isn't limited simply because those intending to act on it are not wearing uniforms/costumes.

4-Notably, you find nothing "disgusting" about claims that many immigrants are coming to suck on the government teat.

So concerns over expressed violent intent are disgusting to you, but claims that immigrants are lazy welfare leaches don't get a peep??

I can only surmise that your reaction is either based on the respective authors of the two negative observations....or that because the author of the welfare concerns blamed our government rather than the immigrants themselves, you saw nothing negative. Another example of being so "anti" something as to be blinded to reason.

C.S. Lewis writes beautifully of how any virtue, taken to an extreme and left unchecked by other necessary virtues, becomes a vice.

Being "anti", even anti-some-evil, can easily turn a man so negative as to become irrational, it seems.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
If the South, General P.G.T. Beauregard in particular, would have waited three more days he would have "taken" Fort Sumpter without firing a shot.

The siege was less violent, but would have been no less effective at gaining the fort. It may well have been more prudent.

Both sides could have done more to prevent the war.

Yes we do continue to re-elect those who do us a disservice. But I am not apart of the "we." Neither do I think you are apart of the "we."

I so suspect and hope.

What to do about it? Good question. Other than keep doing what we are doing, that is electing , or trying to get elected, folks who respect the constitution in their deeds as well as their oat. Sadly, many of our fellow citizens are neither stupid, or wanting, they are non-participants. I'll concede this topic and move along.

Convincing them of the efficacy of participation is key, it seems.

I'll leave the reader to decide for himself. I am no expert on the history of the Mormon faith.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55295235-78/lincoln-mormons-brigham-president.html.csp

I think I stated this and you also imply that the Lincoln administration had a adverse and harmful impact in the citizens of the then Utah territory. Lincoln was no friend of Mormons, nor would he "let them be" while he was alive. Intentional? Maybe, hard to say one way or the other now-a-days.

The 19th century Mormons had very few friends. Lincoln was head of the party that equated religiously motivated polygamy among consenting adults (as adults were defined in the day) to slavery. For a group of people whose doctrines and dominant culture abhorred slavery, who were murdered and run out of Missouri party because they were viewed as abolitionists, the comparison of what they held sacred to what they held as offensive to God and the rights of man, must have been especially galling. So no surprise Brigham Young was not fond of Lincoln.

I do note the following from the article you linked:

Lincoln signed an anti-polygamy bill in 1862, which further hurt his standing in Utah. Yet when he chose to do nothing to enforce the law and his third pick as territorial governor proved to be respectful of the Mormons and their leaders, the ice began to thaw. Lincoln reportedly told an emissary to "tell Brigham Young that if he will let me alone I will let him alone."

This approach sat well with the Mormons, whose 19th century motto was, "Mind Your Own Business."

Speculation about how things might have been different had Lincoln lived usually revolve around Reconstruction and the South, but I wonder what it would have meant for Utah and the Mormons.

History and its actors are rarely black and white.

I'll move along from this. Any further discussion would be unproductive given than you know that I am ignorant on the relationship between the western states and the federal government.

I'll respect that other than note in closing on the topic, that your claim that there is very little need for land in Utah or productive in Utah land was very offensive to me. It was akin to Yankees presuming that anyone with a Southern accent is stupid and uneducated.

We (my ancestors) in the south risked everything for what we firmly believed was our right. The Lincoln government would not have any of this and this is how we are where we are today. If you think slavery was the issue, go right ahead, I'll no argue what you believe.

My belief about slavery being an issue is based on the South Caroline Secession Document's stated reasons for leaving the union:

We assert, that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused for years past to fulfil their constitutional obligations, and we refer to their own Statutes for the proof.

The Constitution of the United States, in its 4th Article, provides as follows:

“No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.”

The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.

While there is much in this document about self-government of the States, and the obligations of the federal government under the constitution, these all revolve around the obligation to protect and prop up the institution of slavery. I see nothing regarding tariffs, or other legitimate concerns.

I recognize that slavery had very little to do with Northern sentiments at the start of the war. And that among many--perhaps even most--Southerners, slavery was an under-current at best; the war was about defending home and hearth from an invasion; about preserving self-control.

But one cannot read the source documents from the seceding States and not admit that slavery was AN--not the, but an--important issue.

Nor can one study the civil rights movement and not come away realizing that preservation of Jim Crow was the primary concern of those advocating for States' Rights 100 years after the civil war.

I do not believe the North was any less racist than the South. Northern forms of racism were less susceptible to federal legal changes.

Lincoln had no regard for the principles of liberty as far as I am concerned.

Very few did in that day, by our standards.

I respect those who fought for their right to self-governance. I really wish slavery had not been at issue. Fighting to retain slavery is not exactly the best way to oppose a lack of regard for the principles of liberty.

I suspect that lacking a war, slavery would have died out as financially impractical on its own. Or could have been peacefully ended with some compensation to slave owners. Lacking the evils of Reconstruction, I suspect racial animosity would not have been so strong nor overt in the South for the next 100 years.

I hold the South and Southern Culture in high regard. For odd historic reasons, I graduated from Dixie High School in southern Utah. I decorated my dorm room in Boston with a Confederate Battle Standard.

I do not believe the War was all about slavery, nor that the South was or is evil. I do not believe the North was or is pure.

But I cannot ignore the role that slavery and racism and Jim Crow have played in eroding popular support for "States' Rights" in this nation.

Charles

sudden valley gunner

Lincoln did not invade over slavery. So the war was not about slavery.

Yet, Lincoln supported the Corwin amendment and stated several times he would not interfere with slavery.

At a peace accord the only issue was to pay the tariff and return, slavery was a concern for the south it wasn't for the north.

The slavers were evil no doubt, this does not erase the evil of the tyrant Lincoln and the destruction of liberty.

Read Vallandinghams speech on the floor, read newspapers from the north and Europe that condemned Lincoln, and then try to say liberty wasn't a concern back then.......it really isn't a concern for those who support Lincoln now.

OC for ME

... My belief about slavery being an issue is based on the South Caroline Secession Document's stated reasons for leaving the union:

Please forgive the lengthiness. The passages you quoted are underlined. As can be seen there is quite a bit that is omitted that places the use of the underlined passages in the then proper context.
The Constitution of the United States, in its 4th Article, provides as follows:

“No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.”

This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made. The greater number of the contracting parties held slaves, and they had previously evinced their estimate of the value of such a stipulation by making it a condition in the Ordinance for the government of the territory ceded by Virginia, which now composes the States north of the Ohio river.

The same article of the Constitution stipulates also for rendition by the several States of fugitives from justice from the other States.

The General Government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations of the States. For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the Institution of Slavery has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the general government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these states the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the state government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. The State of New Jersey, at an early day, passed a law in conformity with her constitutional obligation; but the current of anti-slavery feeling has led her more recently to enact laws which render inoperative the remedies provided by her own law and by the laws of Congress. In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals; and the States of Ohio and Iowa have refused to surrender to justice fugitives charged with murder, and with inciting servile insurrection in the State of Virginia. Thus the constitutional compact has been deliberately broken and disregarded by the non-slaveholding States, and the consequence follows that South Carolina is released from her obligation.

The ends for which this Constitution was framed are declared by itself to be “to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.”

These ends it endeavored to accomplish by a Federal Government, in which each State was recognized as an equal, and had separate control over its own institutions. The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.
The entire document makes the legal case for SC secession.

Of the 28 paragraphs in the secession document SC did not get to the "slavery issue" until the 14th paragraph.

Lincoln and congress, before the southern states walked out, or to prevent their walking out, could have negotiated remedies. Failing this, Lincoln could have negotiated with the new Confederacy...they did not, Lincoln and congress chose war.

sudden valley gunner

Please forgive the lengthiness. The passages you quoted are underlined. As can be seen there is quite a bit that is omitted that places the use of the underlined passages in the then proper context.The entire document makes the legal case for SC secession.

Of the 28 paragraphs in the secession document SC did not get to the "slavery issue" until the 14th paragraph.

Lincoln and congress, before the southern states walked out, or to prevent their walking out, could have negotiated remedies. Failing this, Lincoln could have negotiated with the new Confederacy...they did not, Lincoln and congress chose war.

Lincoln instigated war without Congress's approval.

Another thing folks seem to forget and this is in no way endorsing the horror of slavery was that the confederacy outlawed importation of slaves.

Also Lincoln returned runaway slaves during the war to southern masters. Doesn't seem like he had much qualms about enslaving whom he considered his inferiors. In fact when one military commander freed slaves in a conquered area Lincoln had him removed and over ruled his order.

He even continued to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act after his military maneuver of the Emancipation Proclamation which had no real effect on freeing any slaves.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
To me the bottom line is you cannot be a supporter of the constitution or liberty and a supporter of Lincoln.

People with a Kool-Aid mustache, excepted of course. :)

Oh, and I suppose we'll have to make an exception for folks educated in the Amerikan public school system, too (sigh).

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

People with a Kool-Aid mustache, excepted of course. :)

Oh, and I suppose we'll have to make an exception for folks educated in the Amerikan public school system, too (sigh).

On this subject it seems the red and blue kool-Aid drinkers agree....of course they are statist empire worshipors.....;)

Well of course government schools teach approved government history. Isn't it amazing throughout all recorded history from Egypt to Romans to Britain to American empires......the good guys always won. Wow! what a coincidence.

solus

On this subject it seems the red and blue kool-Aid drinkers agree....of course they are statist empire worshipors.....;)

Well of course government schools teach approved government history. Isn't it amazing throughout all recorded history from Egypt to Romans to Britain to American empires......the good guys always won. Wow! what a coincidence.

they who has the pen records appropriately... don't they?

ipse