Thread: Gloucester, MA Police Department understands the addiction problem

Gloucester, MA Police Department understands the addiction problem

"After a while you realize the complete helplessness of the person that is suffering with the addiction, and how arrest isn't the answer. We wanted to make a bold and provocative statement and push that statement further up the ladder to the legislature and say, "As a police department, we're simply not going to arrest for the possession of this drug, IF the person presents to the police department and asks for help.""

[snip] "There is no way we are going to arrest our way out of the addiction crisis in this country."

-Leonard Campanello, Chief of Police, Gloucester, MA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0REFy3UYE
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Separation of powers...cops don't have to arrest anyone for any crime if they do not want to.

Chief just pointing out that his dept. will not arrest notwithstanding any law.

Well within the purview of being the top cop I guess.

As the notion relates to OC...top cops in Illinois said long ago that they would not arrest anyone who OCs, even when it was against the law and, for the most part, they stayed true to their word.

Agree or disagree ... one can always petition for a new chief. I don't see anyone really getting this accomplished over this issue.

I would not petition for a change in this top cop.

I have no idea what his thoughts are on gun carry/ownership, but I'm willing to bet he's probably on our side.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Separation of powers...cops don't have to arrest anyone for any crime if they do not want to.

Chief just pointing out that his dept. will not arrest notwithstanding any law.

Well within the purview of being the top cop I guess.

As the notion relates to OC...top cops in Illinois said long ago that they would not arrest anyone who OCs, even when it was against the law and, for the most part, they stayed true to their word.

Agree or disagree ... one can always petition for a new chief. I don't see anyone really getting this accomplished over this issue.

I would not petition for a change in this top cop.
    Cite please, I'm quite a bit closer to ILL-annoid than you are and I have not heard one Ill-annoid top cop make this public policy statement.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Cite please, I'm quite a bit closer to ILL-annoid than you are and I have not heard one Ill-annoid top cop make this public policy statement.
    Many DAs had a policy not to generally prosecute carriers in IL when carry of any sort was prohibited by law... these are county elected DAs. Its common knowledge.

There is nothing to cite really...was mostly an "unwritten" policy.

I carried and I knew many others who did too.

Mind you, Crook County was not one of them.

Many DAs had a policy not to generally prosecute carriers in IL when carry of any sort was prohibited by law... these are county elected DAs. Its common knowledge.

There is nothing to cite really...was mostly an "unwritten" policy.

I carried and I knew many others who did too.

Mind you, Crook County was not one of them.
    Request for cite rejected...OK. A news article counts as a cite.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Request for cite rejected...OK. A news article counts as a cite.
    I did look ... FAIL on my part I guess. google has failed me (or my google-fu is weak) .... 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Hopefully others with knowledge will see and decide to post on this too.

But I think that in recent history, before IL passed its carry law after the court decision, that various public officials have said that they would not arrest. Do you need a cite for that? awwww....
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-08-2015 at 01:58 PM.

You do realize that A) this is quite far off topic for this thread and B) you could get an unsuspecting reader of your posts in some trouble if they take your uncited, unofficial word as gospel? Do you not see how that is potentially dangerous and could even reflect badly on this site?

mcbeth, I enjoy your posts because I take every single one of them with a grain of salt, with sarcasm font, and with tongue in cheek. Some others may not know your posts well enough to do so.

μολὼν λαβέ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    You do realize that A) this is quite far off topic for this thread and B) you could get an unsuspecting reader of your posts in some trouble if they take your uncited, unofficial word as gospel? Do you not see how that is potentially dangerous and could even reflect badly on this site?

mcbeth, I enjoy your posts because I take every single one of them with a grain of salt, with sarcasm font, and with tongue in cheek. Some others may not know your posts well enough to do so.
    I did not list any specific places (on purpose~as I noted it was DA specific and DAs change over time) .. so it would be foolish to assume every county's DA had this viewpoint regarding our RKBA and on carry.

Even where carry is allowed in a state, there are still places that are off-limits. So a person who says "you can open carry here" should not be taken out of context.

Even if I cited something or a another poster does, its still up to the reader to be like you and not just say "oh, I can do that then...off I go".
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-08-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Its good to see that the complete and utter failure of the unconstitutional drug war has reached those are tasked with putting their lives on the line for that ridiculousness.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I did look ... FAIL on my part I guess. google has failed me (or my google-fu is weak) .... 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Hopefully others with knowledge will see and decide to post on this too.

But I think that in recent history, before IL passed its carry law after the court decision, that various public officials have said that they would not arrest. Do you need a cite for that? awwww....
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/new...ncealed-carry/

< 5 seconds via google search.

It was not many, just one, and your contention was not completely accurate. As usual your post lead members astray.

Banned
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/new...ncealed-carry/

< 5 seconds via google search.

It was not many, just one, and your contention was not completely accurate. As usual your post lead members astray.
    My hats off to you ! Your google-fu is strong. 3 monkeys for you