• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gloucester, MA Police Department understands the addiction problem

The Truth

"After a while you realize the complete helplessness of the person that is suffering with the addiction, and how arrest isn't the answer. We wanted to make a bold and provocative statement and push that statement further up the ladder to the legislature and say, "As a police department, we're simply not going to arrest for the possession of this drug, IF the person presents to the police department and asks for help.""

[snip] "There is no way we are going to arrest our way out of the addiction crisis in this country."

-Leonard Campanello, Chief of Police, Gloucester, MA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0REFy3UYE

davidmcbeth

Banned
Separation of powers...cops don't have to arrest anyone for any crime if they do not want to.

Chief just pointing out that his dept. will not arrest notwithstanding any law.

Well within the purview of being the top cop I guess.

As the notion relates to OC...top cops in Illinois said long ago that they would not arrest anyone who OCs, even when it was against the law and, for the most part, they stayed true to their word.

Agree or disagree ... one can always petition for a new chief. I don't see anyone really getting this accomplished over this issue.

I would not petition for a change in this top cop.

The Truth

I have no idea what his thoughts are on gun carry/ownership, but I'm willing to bet he's probably on our side.

OC for ME

Separation of powers...cops don't have to arrest anyone for any crime if they do not want to.

Chief just pointing out that his dept. will not arrest notwithstanding any law.

Well within the purview of being the top cop I guess.

As the notion relates to OC...top cops in Illinois said long ago that they would not arrest anyone who OCs, even when it was against the law and, for the most part, they stayed true to their word.

Agree or disagree ... one can always petition for a new chief. I don't see anyone really getting this accomplished over this issue.

I would not petition for a change in this top cop.
Cite please, I'm quite a bit closer to ILL-annoid than you are and I have not heard one Ill-annoid top cop make this public policy statement.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Cite please, I'm quite a bit closer to ILL-annoid than you are and I have not heard one Ill-annoid top cop make this public policy statement.

Many DAs had a policy not to generally prosecute carriers in IL when carry of any sort was prohibited by law... these are county elected DAs. Its common knowledge.

There is nothing to cite really...was mostly an "unwritten" policy.

I carried and I knew many others who did too.

Mind you, Crook County was not one of them.

OC for ME

Many DAs had a policy not to generally prosecute carriers in IL when carry of any sort was prohibited by law... these are county elected DAs. Its common knowledge.

There is nothing to cite really...was mostly an "unwritten" policy.

I carried and I knew many others who did too.

Mind you, Crook County was not one of them.
Request for cite rejected...OK. A news article counts as a cite.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Request for cite rejected...OK. A news article counts as a cite.

I did look ... FAIL on my part I guess. google has failed me (or my google-fu is weak) .... 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Hopefully others with knowledge will see and decide to post on this too.

But I think that in recent history, before IL passed its carry law after the court decision, that various public officials have said that they would not arrest. Do you need a cite for that? awwww....

Last edited:

The Truth

You do realize that A) this is quite far off topic for this thread and B) you could get an unsuspecting reader of your posts in some trouble if they take your uncited, unofficial word as gospel? Do you not see how that is potentially dangerous and could even reflect badly on this site?

mcbeth, I enjoy your posts because I take every single one of them with a grain of salt, with sarcasm font, and with tongue in cheek. Some others may not know your posts well enough to do so.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You do realize that A) this is quite far off topic for this thread and B) you could get an unsuspecting reader of your posts in some trouble if they take your uncited, unofficial word as gospel? Do you not see how that is potentially dangerous and could even reflect badly on this site?

mcbeth, I enjoy your posts because I take every single one of them with a grain of salt, with sarcasm font, and with tongue in cheek. Some others may not know your posts well enough to do so.

I did not list any specific places (on purpose~as I noted it was DA specific and DAs change over time) .. so it would be foolish to assume every county's DA had this viewpoint regarding our RKBA and on carry.

Even where carry is allowed in a state, there are still places that are off-limits. So a person who says "you can open carry here" should not be taken out of context.

Even if I cited something or a another poster does, its still up to the reader to be like you and not just say "oh, I can do that then...off I go".

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Its good to see that the complete and utter failure of the unconstitutional drug war has reached those are tasked with putting their lives on the line for that ridiculousness.

OC for ME

I did look ... FAIL on my part I guess. google has failed me (or my google-fu is weak) .... 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Hopefully others with knowledge will see and decide to post on this too.

But I think that in recent history, before IL passed its carry law after the court decision, that various public officials have said that they would not arrest. Do you need a cite for that? awwww....

http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/ne...prosecute-firearm-owners-for-concealed-carry/

< 5 seconds via google search.

It was not many, just one, and your contention was not completely accurate. As usual your post lead members astray.