Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entire family arrested at checkpoint in Nevada

Entire family arrested at checkpoint in Nevada

http://redrocktribune.com/entire-fam...at-checkpoint/

"Last month, the Feinman family was driving through a constitutionally questionable interstate checkpoint. This checkpoint is not on the US/Mexican border; it is along Highway 395N between California and Nevada.

When driving through these in-country checkpoints, you are not required to answer the agent’s questions (usually starting with “Are you a United States citizen?”). Nor are you required to consent to any searches..."

I'm going to speculate that this guy is a gun owner, but regardless, I think the video and the related article ought to be examined, verified, and possibly acted on by you Nevadans.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Who is this "Red Rock Tribune"?????

An attempt to retort to "Lisa White" got Request timed out
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Well whenever I hear a guy say "its my job" I retort back "you should get a new job sonny".

I recently had a capitol policeman say he was worried about feeding his family...I told him to go hunt some deer
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-07-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Who is this "Red Rock Tribune"?????
    Can't seem to find out who or what this source is either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    She might be this Lisa White:
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/cont...rm-firearms-re
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-07-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Can't seem to find out who or what this source is either.

She might be this Lisa White:
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/cont...rm-firearms-re
    Name: Terry Littlepage
    Mailing Address: 429 Lombardy Ave., El Paso Texas 79922 United States
    Phone: +1.9155811217
    Ext:
    Fax:
    Fax Ext:
    Email:terry@pixel8smm.com

that took 3 seconds .... whew!

This story has been all over the web ... I doubt its an "anti" posting it....call Terry up and ask.

Banned
    http://redrocktribune.com/two-people...er-with-ak-47/

They do note stories like this ....

According to Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo, Officer Jeremy Robertson and his partner were called to the home after the resident reported that someone was trying to break into the house. The officers arrived, met with the caller at the front door and walked to the back door, where the prowler was last seen. The officers were met with gunfire when they opened the back door. Robertson was shot in one of his legs by an AK-47 and fell to the ground. His partner returned fire, wounding one of the two people in the backyard.

Story does not say that the guys were the homeowners so it be interesting to see their defense.

I have to go through the ones coming out of El Paso, TX, a few times a year, including twice in just the last four days. This time, I noticed a really big sign with really tiny print as I drove up. I'd have to stop for a half-hour if I actually wanted to read it. Anyway, it had the heading of "Legal Authority for Checkpoint" or something like that.

As for the checkpoint in question, there is no "between CA and NV" nor are there any of these checkpoints close to Nevada, which is relatively not close to the international border. There also are no checkpoints between L.A. and Nevada. You have to be coming north from San Diego or border towns.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I have to go through the ones coming out of El Paso, TX, a few times a year, including twice in just the last four days. This time, I noticed a really big sign with really tiny print as I drove up. I'd have to stop for a half-hour if I actually wanted to read it. Anyway, it had the heading of "Legal Authority for Checkpoint" or something like that.

As for the checkpoint in question, there is no "between CA and NV" nor are there any of these checkpoints close to Nevada, which is relatively not close to the international border. There also are no checkpoints between L.A. and Nevada. You have to be coming north from San Diego or border towns.
    So you just speak to them in russian right? LOL

Hey, start video taping the encounters and see if they treat you differently.

I assumed Nevada County was Nevada, but it's in California: http://www.mynevadacounty.com/Pages/...Officials.aspx

But, there's probably more RKBA people in Nevada, even though the Sheriff mentioned at the end of the tape is a RKBA guy: http://www.theunion.com/news/crime/4...county-nevada#

The "reporter" of the article has got his or her facts mixed up. There IS a station on California 395 (which goes between CA and NV), but it's in Long Valley County: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Exte...ongvalley.html

The station in Nevada County is on Interstate 80: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Exte...s/truckee.html

Here are all the stations in CA: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Exte...rders_map.html

From the FAQs page: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Exte...rders_faq.html

"WHAT LEGAL AUTHORITY DO YOUR INSPECTORS HAVE TO STOP AND CHECK MY VEHICLE?

The Department’s legal authority for conducting vehicle and commodity inspections lies in the California Food and Agricultural Code, specifically Sections 5341-5353 and 6301-6465. Although submitting to inspection is voluntary, vehicle and commodities are not allowed to enter until released by an inspector."

In other words, "No, no, no, you don't have to submit to an inspection - not at all. However, if you want to enter CA, you do!"

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwhI7qdrsaA

Release me.....I would go there for a vacation..when detained its up to them to feed you etc. Right?

Of course the 4th amendment still applies; the commodity provision does not appear to apply. If this is what they are using its a joke.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-07-2015 at 02:37 PM.

There are three different kind of checkpoints in California. Redrock and this driver, is mixing them up, from what I can see.

1. Border checkpoints at the Mexico border.

2 Agricultural Inspection checkpoints at all major highways coming into the state from other states. There is one north of Bishop on US 6 at NV border and a I'd be willing to bet there is one on 395 south of Reno, tho I have never been on that road.

3 Finally, there are Border Patrol checkpoints scattered around at random usually 50-100 miles inside the Mexico Border. These are usually fabric Quonset type structures out in the middle of nowhere. It looks like they are trying to catch those that might have relaxed somewhat, thinking they are safe since they would be quite a ways from the border at this point. They have cameras and sensors all over for several miles before you get there. Turning around would attract quite a bit of attention I imagine.

The inspection station in the video looks like the BUG checkpoint on I-80 by Truckee, California in Nevada, Co. Ca, just starting westbound, up Donner.

I've seen these same types of videos at the random border checkpoints, I think this guy was trying to use that type of defense at the Agricultural checkpoint. (Truckers call them BUG checks, they look at your BOL's but cars mostly get a cursory any produce, fruit, unvaccinated pets have a good day. I've seen them close them down and let traffic roll when there are bad accidents. I doubt they've found any contraband fruit in 30 years.

The #3 type of Border Checkpoint I go through on a regular basis hauling produce out of Southern California and Arizona. I neither left the country, nor tried to come back into the country, nor wanted to or tried to. I might have been less than a mile FROM the border, and once in a while maybe a quarter mile or less. There is usually an officer of Hispanic descent that asks in broken English to state your citizenship and if there is anyone in the sleeper. At night they will make you turn on the sleeper lights and wake up your co driver if you have one, to hear him talk? I'm white, from Wisconsin and sound like a typical Midwest truck driver. I've had the drug dog on my steps and walk around my vehicle. I carry a firearm in a locked box, unloaded in my sleeper, in CA. Never there more than 2 minutes. They are looking for drugs, illegal aliens, and terrorists, and sadly if they suspect any of those three you for the most part have no constitutional rights, from what I can tell. DOT trucks fall under a slightly different set of rules than your typical family coming back from vacation. Do a search on the constitution free zone.

I think this guy saw som videos of people at these random checkpoints, and thought he was going to pull that at the Agricultural check point. He really wasn't up on his stuff, if he was going to make that stand he shouldn't have to be reading it off his phone. Nothing I've said here should be interpreted to be that I agree with any of what California or our Government is doing. I'm just trying to clear up what I think is some confusion in this post. I don't live in CA but I do travel there on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Wstar425; 09-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Founder's Club Member

Roadblocks

Checkpoint is a government word designed to lull.

These things need to be called what they once were, and still really are: roadblock.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Checkpoint is a government word designed to lull.

These things need to be called what they once were, and still really are: roadblock.
    An opinion designed to appear negative, but not supported by any facts.

If you have knowledge that these are illegal, please share the evidence with us and provide cites.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If you have knowledge that these are illegal, please share the evidence with us and provide cites.
    They are roadblocks. You are blocked on the road until specifically released. This applies to the agricultural "checkpoints" and the Border Patrol "checkpoints," where I, as an American citizen on American soil who has never come within a mile of the border on that journey am asked to affirm it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Same as murder framed as gun-violence for political advantage, a checkpoint by any other name stinks as sweetly. Think Checkpoint Charlie, a.k.a., Grenzübergangsstelle (Friedrich-Zimmerstraße). Which was the truth?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-07-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Name: Terry Littlepage
    Mailing Address: 429 Lombardy Ave., El Paso Texas 79922 United States
    Phone: +1.9155811217
    Ext:
    Fax:
    Fax Ext:
    Email:terry@pixel8smm.com

that took 3 seconds .... whew!

This story has been all over the web ... I doubt its an "anti" posting it....call Terry up and ask.
    Excellent, a search in 3 seconds. What you supplied amounts to nothing. Why don't you call him and ask why his presumed website lacks any information to evaluate his/its purpose, such as its mission statement. A contact page, something that gives the observer a reason to trust or mistrust its offering.

Maybe GoDaddy can help him out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    <snip> I doubt they've found any contraband fruit in 30 years.
    If that is essentially true then the checkpoint, if done under this guise, is unconstitutional under the 4th amendment. Why? Because the gov't must make a showing that the search actually accomplishes something, not that it theoretically could.

I think that this is a law that would have measurable results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Mine went through
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

http://www.roadblock.org/rights/

Roadblocks...the state says their legit...who is to complain...no?

What really bugs me is that self described liberty minded folks, who just happen to be state agents, agree to participate in the manning of roadblocks.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    http://www.roadblock.org/rights/

Roadblocks...the state says their legit...who is to complain...no?

What really bugs me is that self described liberty minded folks, who just happen to be state agents, agree to participate in the manning of roadblocks.
    The website you posted is worthless. Not one court case was cited. So, what I read was someone's opinion.

I'm just saying......

Banned

4th amendment ... he does not have to prove that they are illegal .. 4th amendment presumes that they are illegal until shown to be an exception to the warrant requirement. State v. Kinkead 570 N.W. 2d 97, 100

So one is going to have to prove to him that the roadblocks are legal. I'm not going to because I don't believe that they are.

Assuming no warrants have been issued for the searches ... a pretty good assumption....that's the burden on the poster .. to show that no warrants have been issued for the searches, a fact that I think has been established.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-08-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    4th amendment ... he does not have to prove that they are illegal .. 4th amendment presumes that they are illegal until shown to be an exception to the warrant requirement. State v. Kinkead 570 N.W. 2d 97, 100

So one is going to have to prove to him that the roadblocks are legal. I'm not going to because I don't believe that they are.

Assuming no warrants have been issued for the searches ... a pretty good assumption....that's the burden on the poster .. to show that no warrants have been issued for the searches, a fact that I think has been established.
    Thanks for the defense, David.

However, such roadblocks are already recognized as an exception to the warrant clause--SCOTUS just invented it out of thin air. Using the reasonableness loophole in the Fourth Amendment. That is to say, the Fourth Amendment only prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. Of course, the on-going constitutional convention known as the US Supreme Court ruled such roadblocks "reasonable". The rest is, as they say, history.

The better defense would have been to ask the poster why he raised the non-sequitur about legality. I didn't say they were illegal; yet, he challenged me on that point. Even though legality had nothing whatsoever to do with sleazy terminology.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-08-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Thanks for the defense, David.

However, such roadblocks are already recognized as an exception to the warrant clause--SCOTUS just invented it out of thin air. Using the reasonableness loophole in the Fourth Amendment. That is to say, the Fourth Amendment only prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. Of course, the on-going constitutional convention known as the US Supreme Court ruled such roadblocks "reasonable". The rest is, as they say, history.

The better defense would have been to ask the poster why he raised the non-sequitur about legality. I didn't say they were illegal; yet, he challenged me on that point. Even though legality had nothing whatsoever to do with sleazy terminology.
    Such roadblocks may be an exception; however, it goes by a case by case examination....there is no one case that would cover this particular roadblock and the arguments currently made in the thread have not convinced me. Its a difficult task for a poster to meet the burden under a 4th amendment examination as well. Almost impossible in such a venue as this forum is. As its the party that conducts the roadblock to show that its appropriate and that party is not posting to this thread. Such is the law's burden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast