• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Entire family arrested at checkpoint in Nevada

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
http://redrocktribune.com/entire-fa...s-for-refusing-unlawful-search-at-checkpoint/

"Last month, the Feinman family was driving through a constitutionally questionable interstate checkpoint. This checkpoint is not on the US/Mexican border; it is along Highway 395N between California and Nevada.

When driving through these in-country checkpoints, you are not required to answer the agent’s questions (usually starting with “Are you a United States citizen?”). Nor are you required to consent to any searches..."

I'm going to speculate that this guy is a gun owner, but regardless, I think the video and the related article ought to be examined, verified, and possibly acted on by you Nevadans.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well whenever I hear a guy say "its my job" I retort back "you should get a new job sonny".

I recently had a capitol policeman say he was worried about feeding his family...I told him to go hunt some deer

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Can't seem to find out who or what this source is either.

She might be this Lisa White:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/con...915631/pleasant-hill-holding-firm-firearms-re

Name: Terry Littlepage
Mailing Address: 429 Lombardy Ave., El Paso Texas 79922 United States
Phone: +1.9155811217
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email:terry@pixel8smm.com

that took 3 seconds .... whew!

This story has been all over the web ... I doubt its an "anti" posting it....call Terry up and ask.

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://redrocktribune.com/two-people-arrested-after-shooting-vegas-police-officer-with-ak-47/

They do note stories like this ....

According to Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo, Officer Jeremy Robertson and his partner were called to the home after the resident reported that someone was trying to break into the house. The officers arrived, met with the caller at the front door and walked to the back door, where the prowler was last seen. The officers were met with gunfire when they opened the back door. Robertson was shot in one of his legs by an AK-47 and fell to the ground. His partner returned fire, wounding one of the two people in the backyard.

Story does not say that the guys were the homeowners so it be interesting to see their defense.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have to go through the ones coming out of El Paso, TX, a few times a year, including twice in just the last four days. This time, I noticed a really big sign with really tiny print as I drove up. I'd have to stop for a half-hour if I actually wanted to read it. Anyway, it had the heading of "Legal Authority for Checkpoint" or something like that.

As for the checkpoint in question, there is no "between CA and NV" nor are there any of these checkpoints close to Nevada, which is relatively not close to the international border. There also are no checkpoints between L.A. and Nevada. You have to be coming north from San Diego or border towns.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have to go through the ones coming out of El Paso, TX, a few times a year, including twice in just the last four days. This time, I noticed a really big sign with really tiny print as I drove up. I'd have to stop for a half-hour if I actually wanted to read it. Anyway, it had the heading of "Legal Authority for Checkpoint" or something like that.

As for the checkpoint in question, there is no "between CA and NV" nor are there any of these checkpoints close to Nevada, which is relatively not close to the international border. There also are no checkpoints between L.A. and Nevada. You have to be coming north from San Diego or border towns.

So you just speak to them in russian right? LOL

Hey, start video taping the encounters and see if they treat you differently.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The "reporter" of the article has got his or her facts mixed up. There IS a station on California 395 (which goes between CA and NV), but it's in Long Valley County: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/links/longvalley.html

The station in Nevada County is on Interstate 80: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/links/truckee.html

Here are all the stations in CA: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/borders_map.html

From the FAQs page: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/borders_faq.html

"WHAT LEGAL AUTHORITY DO YOUR INSPECTORS HAVE TO STOP AND CHECK MY VEHICLE?

The Department’s legal authority for conducting vehicle and commodity inspections lies in the California Food and Agricultural Code, specifically Sections 5341-5353 and 6301-6465. Although submitting to inspection is voluntary, vehicle and commodities are not allowed to enter until released by an inspector."

In other words, "No, no, no, you don't have to submit to an inspection - not at all. However, if you want to enter CA, you do!"

Wstar425

There are three different kind of checkpoints in California. Redrock and this driver, is mixing them up, from what I can see.

1. Border checkpoints at the Mexico border.

2 Agricultural Inspection checkpoints at all major highways coming into the state from other states. There is one north of Bishop on US 6 at NV border and a I'd be willing to bet there is one on 395 south of Reno, tho I have never been on that road.

3 Finally, there are Border Patrol checkpoints scattered around at random usually 50-100 miles inside the Mexico Border. These are usually fabric Quonset type structures out in the middle of nowhere. It looks like they are trying to catch those that might have relaxed somewhat, thinking they are safe since they would be quite a ways from the border at this point. They have cameras and sensors all over for several miles before you get there. Turning around would attract quite a bit of attention I imagine.

The inspection station in the video looks like the BUG checkpoint on I-80 by Truckee, California in Nevada, Co. Ca, just starting westbound, up Donner.

I've seen these same types of videos at the random border checkpoints, I think this guy was trying to use that type of defense at the Agricultural checkpoint. (Truckers call them BUG checks, they look at your BOL's but cars mostly get a cursory any produce, fruit, unvaccinated pets have a good day. I've seen them close them down and let traffic roll when there are bad accidents. I doubt they've found any contraband fruit in 30 years.

The #3 type of Border Checkpoint I go through on a regular basis hauling produce out of Southern California and Arizona. I neither left the country, nor tried to come back into the country, nor wanted to or tried to. I might have been less than a mile FROM the border, and once in a while maybe a quarter mile or less. There is usually an officer of Hispanic descent that asks in broken English to state your citizenship and if there is anyone in the sleeper. At night they will make you turn on the sleeper lights and wake up your co driver if you have one, to hear him talk? I'm white, from Wisconsin and sound like a typical Midwest truck driver. I've had the drug dog on my steps and walk around my vehicle. I carry a firearm in a locked box, unloaded in my sleeper, in CA. Never there more than 2 minutes. They are looking for drugs, illegal aliens, and terrorists, and sadly if they suspect any of those three you for the most part have no constitutional rights, from what I can tell. DOT trucks fall under a slightly different set of rules than your typical family coming back from vacation. Do a search on the constitution free zone.

I think this guy saw som videos of people at these random checkpoints, and thought he was going to pull that at the Agricultural check point. He really wasn't up on his stuff, if he was going to make that stand he shouldn't have to be reading it off his phone. Nothing I've said here should be interpreted to be that I agree with any of what California or our Government is doing. I'm just trying to clear up what I think is some confusion in this post. I don't live in CA but I do travel there on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Roadblocks

Checkpoint is a government word designed to lull.

These things need to be called what they once were, and still really are: roadblock.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Checkpoint is a government word designed to lull.

These things need to be called what they once were, and still really are: roadblock.
An opinion designed to appear negative, but not supported by any facts.

If you have knowledge that these are illegal, please share the evidence with us and provide cites.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
An opinion designed to appear negative, but not supported by any facts.

If you have knowledge that these are illegal, please share the evidence with us and provide cites.

They are roadblocks. You are blocked on the road until specifically released. This applies to the agricultural "checkpoints" and the Border Patrol "checkpoints," where I, as an American citizen on American soil who has never come within a mile of the border on that journey am asked to affirm it.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Name: Terry Littlepage
Mailing Address: 429 Lombardy Ave., El Paso Texas 79922 United States
Phone: +1.9155811217
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email:terry@pixel8smm.com

that took 3 seconds .... whew!

This story has been all over the web ... I doubt its an "anti" posting it....call Terry up and ask.
Excellent, a search in 3 seconds. What you supplied amounts to nothing. Why don't you call him and ask why his presumed website lacks any information to evaluate his/its purpose, such as its mission statement. A contact page, something that gives the observer a reason to trust or mistrust its offering.

Maybe GoDaddy can help him out.

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip> I doubt they've found any contraband fruit in 30 years.

If that is essentially true then the checkpoint, if done under this guise, is unconstitutional under the 4th amendment. Why? Because the gov't must make a showing that the search actually accomplishes something, not that it theoretically could.

I think that this is a law that would have measurable results.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.roadblock.org/rights/

Roadblocks...the state says their legit...who is to complain...no?

What really bugs me is that self described liberty minded folks, who just happen to be state agents, agree to participate in the manning of roadblocks.
The website you posted is worthless. Not one court case was cited. So, what I read was someone's opinion.

I'm just saying......