Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Tacoma mulls gun 'drop boxes'

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Tacoma mulls gun 'drop boxes'

    The City of Tacoma, Washington is crafting a new program that would allow residents to anonymously drop off firearms with no questions asked.

    Officials are considering setting up secure, steel drop boxes similar to the ones already set up for collecting drugs in neighborhoods throughout the city, away from police presence, The News Tribune reported.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...xes-in-tacoma/

    Dubious critics say a box full of guns could prove tempting to criminals -- and that's if people actually took the city up on the offer. "In other news: New Gun store for criminals opens in Tacoma called: The Drop Box," one person tweeted.

    Tacoma Police Union President Sgt. Jim Barrett doubts the boxes will get much use. "Are we really expecting these people to walk down the street to this drop box, with the gun tucked in their shorts, and drop it off? he asked. "It doesn't seem to me to be a thought-out process as of right now."

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/09.../?intcmp=hpbt4
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Phoenix David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    629
    So how much use does the drugs drop off boxes get?
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Officials are considering setting up secure, steel drop boxes similar to the ones already set up for collecting drugs in neighborhoods throughout the city, away from police presence, The News Tribune reported.
    There is no such thing as absolutely secure. I can bet that those drop boxes will be less secure than a bank vault, and those can be defeated with ease by a prepared attacker -- their main defense is that most attackers don't have enough time to properly breach one before the police arrive.

    But what is the budget for these proposed drop boxes? Could they be stolen with a cutting torch? A plasma cutter? Could a bulldozer uproot one, or would it only take a crowbar? Higher security costs more, and somehow I doubt these things are going to be defended like Fort Knox.

  4. #4
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Set up a gun buy back booth next to it?
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Should one suggest they simply install something like the old library book return into an exterior wall of the local pd stations and fir added security and to ensure anonymity install secirity cameras to survial the area complete with plate trading cameras.

    Sarcasm may be demonstrated in the above
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 09-09-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Making it easier for them to get their drop kits.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    101
    So what if these get hit and criminals get a few guns? They won't get them all if it is checked daily. It will give people a chance to turn some in. What if some one's mom finds a gun in his room and wants to get rid of it? Yeah she could call the cops and wait for them to come get it but maybe she doesn't want to have her son arrested.

    No one is being forced to turn guns in.

    The purpose of this is for people to turn them in without interacting with the police. Putting a book deposit box on the side of the police station will negate the purpose.


    I really don't see how the negatives outweigh the positives. Aside from cost to taxpayers. If privately funded I am fine with it.

    It's not like they are dropping them off in a mail box.

    Please post up your issue if you have one. I love a good debate

  8. #8
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by travr6 View Post
    So what if these get hit and criminals get a few guns? They won't get them all if it is checked daily. It will give people a chance to turn some in. What if some one's mom finds a gun in his room and wants to get rid of it? Yeah she could call the cops and wait for them to come get it but maybe she doesn't want to have her son arrested.

    No one is being forced to turn guns in.

    The purpose of this is for people to turn them in without interacting with the police. Putting a book deposit box on the side of the police station will negate the purpose.


    I really don't see how the negatives outweigh the positives. Aside from cost to taxpayers. If privately funded I am fine with it.

    It's not like they are dropping them off in a mail box.

    Please post up your issue if you have one. I love a good debate
    I find it objectionable for a people's government to gun-shame them into turning over a valuable tool and not compensate them for it.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I find it objectionable for a people's government to gun-shame them into turning over a valuable tool and not compensate them for it.
    No one is shaming anyone. They are just saying if you want to turn one in without dealing with the police here you go.

    A lot of people in the black community would never voluntarily go to the police.

    If someone in that community were to find a gun this is a good way to turn it in so a criminal doesn't get it

  10. #10
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by travr6 View Post
    No one is shaming anyone.
    Don't mind my derisive laughter.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Don't mind my derisive laughter.
    I overlooked your pointless response so I can overlook you laughing alone.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Why not put up your own free drop box?

    Make a deal with a local business owner for space and then clear it out daily. Also, work it out with the police to do a SN check for lost/stolen.

    This could work in any town, city, neighborhood.

    You work with the pd to return lost/stolens that get dropped and you keep the rest.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Why not put up your own free drop box?

    Make a deal with a local business owner for space and then clear it out daily. Also, work it out with the police to do a SN check for lost/stolen.

    This could work in any town, city, neighborhood.

    You work with the pd to return lost/stolens that get dropped and you keep the rest.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    And unlike the city of Seattle private individuals will probably not use face recognition software, after advertising anonymous drop off.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Why not put up your own free drop box?

    Make a deal with a local business owner for space and then clear it out daily. Also, work it out with the police to do a SN check for lost/stolen.

    This could work in any town, city, neighborhood.

    You work with the pd to return lost/stolens that get dropped and you keep the rest.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    I thought the same thing. Free guns for me.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Its another feel good measure to throw at the anti's it will do no good and be an utter failure. Who wants to bet that if they remove the box in the future there will be no press release?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037
    Reason to not set up your own collection box: Initiative Measure No. 594, punishable under 9A.20 RCW as either a gross misdemeanor (first time) or class C felony (subsequent events) for each handgun received.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Whitney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poulsbo, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    449

    Not too sure about that

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    Reason to not set up your own collection box: Initiative Measure No. 594, punishable under 9A.20 RCW as either a gross misdemeanor (first time) or class C felony (subsequent events) for each handgun received.
    The standard for prosecution is you first have to "knowingly" violate the law. Says so right in the RCW, copied right from I594. So...... ignorance of the law in this case is a defense.

    Not sayin' I want to be a test case, just pointing out the absurdity written into the measure.


    ~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

  18. #18
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    The standard for prosecution is you first have to "knowingly" violate the law. Says so right in the RCW, copied right from I594. So...... ignorance of the law in this case is a defense.

    Not sayin' I want to be a test case, just pointing out the absurdity written into the measure.


    ~Whitney
    Well the courts would hear the case if prosecuted. I am pretty sure that the SAF would pay your defense, when they brought a challenge against the state over 594, thencpurt told them that until there is a charge under that law, that they had no case.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  19. #19
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The City of Tacoma, Washington is crafting a new program that would allow residents to anonymously drop off firearms with no questions asked.
    Sounds like a great convenience for the criminal type who needs to get rid of some evidence.

    Reminds me of the comic referring to the mobile paper shredding trucks used by some businesses to secure proprietary waste: "Evidence-getter-ridders-ofs".

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    What this all comes down to is someone has to be charged under 594 which won't happen anytime soon. My contacts inside SPD and KCSO tell me that anti-gunners inside and advising those departments have warned those agencies not to enforce the new law except for people ineligible under 4473s to own firearms for the forseable future until all the "fuss" "dies down." This is all verbal too, no memos, no emails. I have put in an info request for all internal communications regarding 594's bizarre provisions like widow registration and gotten nothing back.

    Unfortunately, someone who is lawfully eligible to own a gun will eventually have to be a test case.
    Last edited by Alpine; 09-11-2015 at 07:00 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    What this all comes down to is someone has to be charged under 594 which won't happen anytime soon. My contacts inside SPD and KCSO tell me that anti-gunners inside and advising those departments have warned those agencies not to enforce the new law except for people ineligible under 4473s to own firearms for the forseable future until all the "fuss" "dies down." This is all verbal too, no memos, no emails. I have put in an info request for all internal communications regarding 594's bizarre provisions like widow registration and gotten nothing back.

    Unfortunately, someone who is lawfully eligible to own a gun will eventually have to be a test case.
    If the SAF and friends are really willing to take this law head on, then I would like to borrow some welding equipment and build a test box. I am willing to pay a nominal rent for use of space on a business property to install such a box.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  22. #22
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    This is why dropboxes might not be a good idea...

    http://www.komonews.com/news/local/T...327457451.html

  23. #23
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I find it objectionable for a people's government to gun-shame them into turning over a valuable tool and not compensate them for it.
    I wonder what the reaction would be if they find the drop boxes stuffed full of copies of the Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    Reason to not set up your own collection box: Initiative Measure No. 594, punishable under 9A.20 RCW as either a gross misdemeanor (first time) or class C felony (subsequent events) for each handgun received.
    Simple solution: Get a FFL. No background check needed to transfer a gun TO a gun dealer.

  24. #24
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by difdi View Post
    i wonder what the reaction would be if they find the drop boxes stuffed full of cat, and dog poop?



    Simple solution: Get a ffl. No background check needed to transfer a gun to a gun dealer.
    fify
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •