• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC vacation experiences in Mackinaw and the UP Part Deux

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The only person I ever had try to pull on my firearm was also a GRPD officer. It was also a Glock 23 in a Serpa. It was during the New Year Eve event in front of the Amway Grand Hotel back in 2008 or 2009. It was in the early days of my OCing. I even ended up speaking with the training officer a few weeks afterwards and was assured that they would cover the danger in doing so. I see that they didn't.

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Are you surprised? This is the same jurisdiction that has no problem with putting innocent civilians in the line of fire when responding to a BS MWAG call.

Glock214

They also assured me they would take care of this dangerous issue. Never heard back, not even an apology. It was also within my first year OC'ing. That same year, I was pulled over in Rockford for expired tags. (They were in my glove box, I simply forgot to put the sticker on.) I notified the officer of my sidearm and was promptly disarmed "for my safety". Stop went well, except when I was returned my sidearm. Unloaded as I expected, but what I didn't expect was my magazine being handed to me completely empty. I was given all of my ammunition in way of it being dumped on my lap. I was shocked! I too called the department, but nothing was done wrong according to the officer I spoke with at the department. So my apologizes, it was two negative leo encounters.

taxman

Banned
what I didn't expect was my magazine being handed to me completely empty. I was given all of my ammunition in way of it being dumped on my lap. I was shocked!

For his safety, he wants you to have to spend time reloading before you can shoot him.
He must really believe everybody wants to see him dead.

Glock214

For his safety, he wants you to have to spend time reloading before you can shoot him.
He must really believe everybody wants to see him dead.

I asked him before he walked away if I could reload my sidearm and holster it. He said yes, so I loaded a fresh mag into my Glock and re-holstered . He ran back to his patrol car and sped away. I don't think he expected me to have two extra mags ready to go. Lol

To be fair though, I did ask first. I got a chuckle out of him running back to his car.

B

Bikenut

Writing about rights is a right... right?

Oh... and there were men who dealt with night soil...

Night-Soil Men, the Human Waste Collectors of Georgian London

-snip-
They arrived with a cart, and worked in teams of four, consisting of a holeman, ropeman, and two tubmen. The team of men announced their arrival by ringing a bell, which they hand carried. If the privy was located in a narrow back yard, and if the only access the night men had was through the front door, they would have to carry out their work through the house. The men carried their lanters and equipment to the entrance of the cesspit. The holeman would descend first. He would go down a few feet into the pit, loosen the sludge, and shovel it into a tub. A ropeman would then raise the filled tub, and the two tubemen would empty the tubs into a waiting cart. As he emptied the cesspit, the holeman would descend further down the hole. Pulling up the tubs, the ropeman would be careful not to spill too much waste. As the work progressed, the tubmen could easily carry over 100 pounds of sewage. The men would lower a ladder down the increasingly empty cesspit, and the process would be repeated, with the holeman descending the ladder again and again, the ropeman pulling up the waste, and tubmen carrying out the sludge, until the waste was removed.-snip-

https://suite.io/vic-sanborn/3des2zr

Last edited by a moderator: