Thread: Some are associating huge influx of CHL applications to open carry passing

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Some are associating huge influx of CHL applications to open carry passing

http://m.ktxs.com/news/new-open-carr...tions/35227820

FUQ "Thinking about getting a concealed carry license? You might want to sign up for a class soon -- they are getting filled up mainly because open carry is coming to Texas next year."
    Advocate freedom please

From the link: "The State will now require all CHL classes to teach the use of new holsters. These holsters will keep the gun locked down by using different mechanisms such as a button or a strap.

"That way someone would have a harder time to get that gun on your hip," McBain said."
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Yep, the training "guidelines" (?) for the class have changed. The actual legal restrictions on holsters for open carry remain that it must be a "belt or shoulder holster" though; retention requirements, thankfully, all got shot down. Boy what a disaster that would have been, for them to try and specify requirements using language that the industry itself hasn't yet settled.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 09-12-2015 at 08:00 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    FUQ "Thinking about getting a concealed carry license? You might want to sign up for a class soon -- they are getting filled up mainly because open carry is coming to Texas next year."
    Notable that passage of OC apparently increases, rather than suppressing demand for CC permits. I suspect that there is great synergy between all different types of pro-gun laws. OC laws increase demand for CC permits (and eventually for Constitutional Carry) while CC permits increase demand for legal OC, which all increase demand for range protection laws, good hunting laws, and reasonable self-defense and defense of habitation laws, all of which in turn increase demand for good OC and CC laws. Anything and everything that draws in more voters to the world of lawful gun ownership, possession, and use is good for all of us.

OC and CC do not compete, are not at odds, but are complementary and symbiotic.

Thank you for the link and article.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    From the link: "The State will now require all CHL classes to teach the use of new holsters. These holsters will keep the gun locked down by using different mechanisms such as a button or a strap.

"That way someone would have a harder time to get that gun on your hip," McBain said."
    wonder if this new requirement is going to some how effect out of state permits or folks that have already gotten their ccl
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
    wonder if this new requirement is going to some how effect out of state permits or folks that have already gotten their ccl
    Reciprocity is not affected.

The law didn't change class requirements for renewals -- anyone who has to take the class for Texas CHL renewal will get the same info as first-timers.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Reciprocity is not affected.

The law didn't change class requirements for renewals -- anyone who has to take the class for Texas CHL renewal will get the same info as first-timers.

And for out of state permit issue (first time) instructors will also have to meet the same new training requirements just as they do here.
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

I'm hopeful that Texas will be the first state to really practice OC. I know it's done a little bit in Virginia some out west but really no one does it. Our problems as it relates to guns would be over very quickly if even 5% of those who regularly CC would switch to OC.

Hopeful, but not holding my breath.
    Last edited by 77zach; 09-30-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I'm hopeful that Texas will be the first state to really practice OC. I know it's done a little bit in Virginia some out west but really no one does it. Our problems as it relates to guns would be over very quickly if even 5% of those who regularly CC would switch to OC.

say what?

let's see they can't at the moment and after the first of the year will need a privilege card to OC...soooooo

yo 77 did you miss the concept that 30 states at this very moment do not need anything to OC and you're hopeful texas will P R A C T I C E the concept??

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post

I have a feeling you'll see a lot initially in more rural areas but maybe not so much in the big cities. I live in Bandera and work in San Antonio. I won't be able to carry in the office but I sure as hell will strap up as soon as I leave. Bandera is known as the "cowboy capital of the world" and it's not unusual to see cowboys tying their horses outside bars on main street on the weekends there. Some of the shops up there even have "firearms welcome" signs in the doors/windows. At least two or three times I've been in the grocery store or hardware store and overheard ladies talking about when their CHL arrives in the mail or similar. That little hardware store also sells guns and ammo.
    So I'm inclined to think I might see quite a few people OC'ing up there after the new year. I know I will be.

Now if only Texas did away with the permission slip I think a good portion of the population would be carrying all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by qednick View Post
    I have a feeling you'll see a lot initially in more rural areas but maybe not so much in the big cities. I live in Bandera and work in San Antonio. I won't be able to carry in the office but I sure as hell will strap up as soon as I leave. Bandera is known as the "cowboy capital of the world" and it's not unusual to see cowboys tying their horses outside bars on main street on the weekends there. Some of the shops up there even have "firearms welcome" signs in the doors/windows. At least two or three times I've been in the grocery store or hardware store and overheard ladies talking about when their CHL arrives in the mail or similar. That little hardware store also sells guns and ammo.
    So I'm inclined to think I might see quite a few people OC'ing up there after the new year. I know I will be.

Now if only Texas did away with the permission slip I think a good portion of the population would be carrying all the time.

let's see now...

NC 600K CHP issued against a population of 9.9M ~ open carry ~ no permit needed
    TX 875K CCW issued against a population of 27M ~ no open carry

added 1550EST: http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

ya, i see the stats on how you reached a conclusion that a good portion of the tx pop would be carrying all the time...lone star citizens don't carry now, how in the blazes do you reach a conclusion they are going to start ?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-01-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: i forgot the cite of my information
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    let's see now...

ya, i see the stats on how you reached a conclusion that a good portion of the tx pop would be carrying all the time...lone star citizens don't carry now, how in the blazes do you reach a conclusion they are going to start ?

ipse

I have always been baffled how people think Texas is a pro 2nd amendment state.
    The last time I looked they were ranked like 28th in the nation by the NRA.

...lone star citizens don't carry now, how in the blazes do you reach a conclusion they are going to start ?
    Because the Texas "permission slip" is prohibitively expensive for many folks.

let's see now...

ipse
    Surprised at those stats, I would have thought Texas would have had a higher percentage of carry.

But the sight of OC firearms will have much more education effect than a concealed handgun, so it may have a positive effect after all.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

any that has changed how to encourage folk to carry?

ipse

There are also many factors that can cause you to be denied a permit.

any that has changed how to encourage folk to carry?

ipse
    Not sure what you're getting at. Pretty much everyone I know here in Texas is into the 2A--even the democrat voters I know. However, because currently you can only carry a modern day handgun on your person, concealed, and with a really expensive (as compared to most other states) permission slip, it prevents a lot of people from obtaining the CHL and carrying.
    If there was no CHL requirement, or if we did indeed have unlicensed OC here, you would see a lot more people in Texas carrying.

Just because Texas law hasn't favored supporters of the 2A, compared to many other states, doesn't make Texans themselves anti-gun or anti-carry. The legislature here is designed to make it difficult to pass laws--which helps to prevent bad laws from passing...but, on the other side of the coin, it also makes it difficult to get good laws passed and bad laws repealed.

In Texas you do not need a license or anything to carry a pistol in your glove box. It would be interesting to know what percentage of vehicles here have a gun in the glove box. I suspect it's a pretty good percentage. Now if it was illegal to carry a gun in your glove box unless you had a $200+ license, I suspect that percentage would be rather small. My point is, the CHL here is prohibitively expensive for many people. If it was cheaper, many many more people would be carrying because many many more people would be able to afford it. Comparing North Carolina to Texas, in this respect, is like comparing apples to oranges. You are trying to make out that Texans do not like their 2A rights as much as folks from NC--which is simply not true. It's the law and the expensive license requirements that have prevented Texans from carrying. Laws that are, by design, difficult to change--yet a bunch of us here keep working on it and we're making steps. Thumbing your nose at, or poking fun at Texans just because we've had some bad laws and expensive license requirements in the past, absolutely does not change the fact that Texans love their guns and an awful lot would be carrying if it were legal for them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossFire View Post
    There are also many factors that can cause you to be denied a permit.
    Absolutely. Including being late on child support, taxes, etc. The current CHL process and fees in TX are pretty much designed to make you part of an exclusive club once you finally get one. I personally know quite a few people that want their CHL but either can't afford it or can't get it due to other factors.

There are quite a few pro-2a people in Texas. There are also a lot of pro-gun people that don't really support the 2a, in the truest sense of it. There are several house reps and senators that are true respecters of the 2a, but they're a minority and our laws reflect that. There are likely, also, a great number of people that own guns and even carry a handgun in their vehicle that don't even quality as pro-gun, much less really pro-2a people. There are a lot of guns in Texas, for sure. I think it's safe to say that Texas has a "gun culture" so to speak, just meaning that guns are integrated into our culture, or quite a few of our cultures at least, but having guns integrated into the culture isn't the same as being "pro-2a". And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.

We need to turn all of these pro-gun people into pro-2a people.
    Advocate freedom please

There are quite a few pro-2a people in Texas. There are also a lot of pro-gun people that don't really support the 2a, in the truest sense of it. There are several house reps and senators that are true respecters of the 2a, but they're a minority and our laws reflect that. There are likely, also, a great number of people that own guns and even carry a handgun in their vehicle that don't even quality as pro-gun, much less really pro-2a people. There are a lot of guns in Texas, for sure. I think it's safe to say that Texas has a "gun culture" so to speak, just meaning that guns are integrated into our culture, or quite a few of our cultures at least, but having guns integrated into the culture isn't the same as being "pro-2a". And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.

realistic candor based apparently on reality...thanks.

ipse

... And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.
    That's true, since most people you might stop in the street and ask what the purpose of the 2A is about will likely say "hunting" or "self-defense".

The more of us that carry after Jan 1st, the more will be encouraged to do the same. Then we can concentrate on the whole licensing issue in 2017. I'm looking forward to it.

Truth.

It is common to have people who think of themselves as "gun people" say things like "but you don't need to carry". And even more common to hear people who have a license to carry say "I would never open carry, that's stupid." Texas was the first state to prohibit carry and one of the last to allow it. Texas is NOT a carry state. People have guns in their homes and cars but not on their person.
    Just guessing, but I'd say that fewer than half of license holders carry anywhere close to daily. I expect the open carry portion will be 10% or less next year. It will take time for people to change their outlook about becoming a target, having a gun grabbed or being seen as a show off. Let's give it a bit and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk