• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some are associating huge influx of CHL applications to open carry passing

stealthyeliminator

Yep, the training "guidelines" (?) for the class have changed. The actual legal restrictions on holsters for open carry remain that it must be a "belt or shoulder holster" though; retention requirements, thankfully, all got shot down. Boy what a disaster that would have been, for them to try and specify requirements using language that the industry itself hasn't yet settled.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
FUQ "Thinking about getting a concealed carry license? You might want to sign up for a class soon -- they are getting filled up mainly because open carry is coming to Texas next year."

Notable that passage of OC apparently increases, rather than suppressing demand for CC permits. I suspect that there is great synergy between all different types of pro-gun laws. OC laws increase demand for CC permits (and eventually for Constitutional Carry) while CC permits increase demand for legal OC, which all increase demand for range protection laws, good hunting laws, and reasonable self-defense and defense of habitation laws, all of which in turn increase demand for good OC and CC laws. Anything and everything that draws in more voters to the world of lawful gun ownership, possession, and use is good for all of us.

OC and CC do not compete, are not at odds, but are complementary and symbiotic.

Thank you for the link and article.

Charles

bushwacker

From the link: "The State will now require all CHL classes to teach the use of new holsters. These holsters will keep the gun locked down by using different mechanisms such as a button or a strap.

"That way someone would have a harder time to get that gun on your hip," McBain said."

wonder if this new requirement is going to some how effect out of state permits or folks that have already gotten their ccl

KBCraig

wonder if this new requirement is going to some how effect out of state permits or folks that have already gotten their ccl

Reciprocity is not affected.

The law didn't change class requirements for renewals -- anyone who has to take the class for Texas CHL renewal will get the same info as first-timers.

Glockster

Reciprocity is not affected.

The law didn't change class requirements for renewals -- anyone who has to take the class for Texas CHL renewal will get the same info as first-timers.

And for out of state permit issue (first time) instructors will also have to meet the same new training requirements just as they do here.

77zach

I'm hopeful that Texas will be the first state to really practice OC. I know it's done a little bit in Virginia some out west but really no one does it. Our problems as it relates to guns would be over very quickly if even 5% of those who regularly CC would switch to OC.

Hopeful, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

solus

I'm hopeful that Texas will be the first state to really practice OC. I know it's done a little bit in Virginia some out west but really no one does it. Our problems as it relates to guns would be over very quickly if even 5% of those who regularly CC would switch to OC.

say what?

let's see they can't at the moment and after the first of the year will need a privilege card to OC...soooooo

yo 77 did you miss the concept that 30 states at this very moment do not need anything to OC and you're hopeful texas will P R A C T I C E the concept??

ipse

qednick

I have a feeling you'll see a lot initially in more rural areas but maybe not so much in the big cities. I live in Bandera and work in San Antonio. I won't be able to carry in the office but I sure as hell will strap up as soon as I leave. Bandera is known as the "cowboy capital of the world" and it's not unusual to see cowboys tying their horses outside bars on main street on the weekends there. Some of the shops up there even have "firearms welcome" signs in the doors/windows. At least two or three times I've been in the grocery store or hardware store and overheard ladies talking about when their CHL arrives in the mail or similar. That little hardware store also sells guns and ammo.
So I'm inclined to think I might see quite a few people OC'ing up there after the new year. I know I will be.

Now if only Texas did away with the permission slip I think a good portion of the population would be carrying all the time.

solus

I have a feeling you'll see a lot initially in more rural areas but maybe not so much in the big cities. I live in Bandera and work in San Antonio. I won't be able to carry in the office but I sure as hell will strap up as soon as I leave. Bandera is known as the "cowboy capital of the world" and it's not unusual to see cowboys tying their horses outside bars on main street on the weekends there. Some of the shops up there even have "firearms welcome" signs in the doors/windows. At least two or three times I've been in the grocery store or hardware store and overheard ladies talking about when their CHL arrives in the mail or similar. That little hardware store also sells guns and ammo.
So I'm inclined to think I might see quite a few people OC'ing up there after the new year. I know I will be.

Now if only Texas did away with the permission slip I think a good portion of the population would be carrying all the time.

let's see now...

NC 600K CHP issued against a population of 9.9M ~ open carry ~ no permit needed
TX 875K CCW issued against a population of 27M ~ no open carry

added 1550EST: http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

ya, i see the stats on how you reached a conclusion that a good portion of the tx pop would be carrying all the time...lone star citizens don't carry now, how in the blazes do you reach a conclusion they are going to start ?

ipse

Last edited:

travr6

let's see now...

ya, i see the stats on how you reached a conclusion that a good portion of the tx pop would be carrying all the time...lone star citizens don't carry now, how in the blazes do you reach a conclusion they are going to start ?

ipse

I have always been baffled how people think Texas is a pro 2nd amendment state.
The last time I looked they were ranked like 28th in the nation by the NRA.

WalkingWolf

let's see now...

ipse

Surprised at those stats, I would have thought Texas would have had a higher percentage of carry.

But the sight of OC firearms will have much more education effect than a concealed handgun, so it may have a positive effect after all.

qednick

any that has changed how to encourage folk to carry?

ipse

Not sure what you're getting at. Pretty much everyone I know here in Texas is into the 2A--even the democrat voters I know. However, because currently you can only carry a modern day handgun on your person, concealed, and with a really expensive (as compared to most other states) permission slip, it prevents a lot of people from obtaining the CHL and carrying.
If there was no CHL requirement, or if we did indeed have unlicensed OC here, you would see a lot more people in Texas carrying.

Just because Texas law hasn't favored supporters of the 2A, compared to many other states, doesn't make Texans themselves anti-gun or anti-carry. The legislature here is designed to make it difficult to pass laws--which helps to prevent bad laws from passing...but, on the other side of the coin, it also makes it difficult to get good laws passed and bad laws repealed.

In Texas you do not need a license or anything to carry a pistol in your glove box. It would be interesting to know what percentage of vehicles here have a gun in the glove box. I suspect it's a pretty good percentage. Now if it was illegal to carry a gun in your glove box unless you had a $200+ license, I suspect that percentage would be rather small. My point is, the CHL here is prohibitively expensive for many people. If it was cheaper, many many more people would be carrying because many many more people would be able to afford it. Comparing North Carolina to Texas, in this respect, is like comparing apples to oranges. You are trying to make out that Texans do not like their 2A rights as much as folks from NC--which is simply not true. It's the law and the expensive license requirements that have prevented Texans from carrying. Laws that are, by design, difficult to change--yet a bunch of us here keep working on it and we're making steps. Thumbing your nose at, or poking fun at Texans just because we've had some bad laws and expensive license requirements in the past, absolutely does not change the fact that Texans love their guns and an awful lot would be carrying if it were legal for them to do so.

qednick

There are also many factors that can cause you to be denied a permit.

Absolutely. Including being late on child support, taxes, etc. The current CHL process and fees in TX are pretty much designed to make you part of an exclusive club once you finally get one. I personally know quite a few people that want their CHL but either can't afford it or can't get it due to other factors.

stealthyeliminator

There are quite a few pro-2a people in Texas. There are also a lot of pro-gun people that don't really support the 2a, in the truest sense of it. There are several house reps and senators that are true respecters of the 2a, but they're a minority and our laws reflect that. There are likely, also, a great number of people that own guns and even carry a handgun in their vehicle that don't even quality as pro-gun, much less really pro-2a people. There are a lot of guns in Texas, for sure. I think it's safe to say that Texas has a "gun culture" so to speak, just meaning that guns are integrated into our culture, or quite a few of our cultures at least, but having guns integrated into the culture isn't the same as being "pro-2a". And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.

We need to turn all of these pro-gun people into pro-2a people.

solus

There are quite a few pro-2a people in Texas. There are also a lot of pro-gun people that don't really support the 2a, in the truest sense of it. There are several house reps and senators that are true respecters of the 2a, but they're a minority and our laws reflect that. There are likely, also, a great number of people that own guns and even carry a handgun in their vehicle that don't even quality as pro-gun, much less really pro-2a people. There are a lot of guns in Texas, for sure. I think it's safe to say that Texas has a "gun culture" so to speak, just meaning that guns are integrated into our culture, or quite a few of our cultures at least, but having guns integrated into the culture isn't the same as being "pro-2a". And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.

realistic candor based apparently on reality...thanks.

ipse

qednick

... And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.

That's true, since most people you might stop in the street and ask what the purpose of the 2A is about will likely say "hunting" or "self-defense".

The more of us that carry after Jan 1st, the more will be encouraged to do the same. Then we can concentrate on the whole licensing issue in 2017. I'm looking forward to it.