• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can police confiscate your video?

Freedom1Man

Can they do it legally?

99+% of the time, no.

However the police do not allow the law to stop them from doing whatever they want to do. Example, it is not legal for them to issue traffic tickets in an unmarked/improperly marked police car, do they do it? Yes, all the time.

Bill45

Thanks for all your replys.

You all have answered my question. The police can confiscate but not legaly. So best policy is to not tell them you recorded anything. Let them find out from my lawyer.

I asume the cops could try to be clever and ask you to surrender it, then you can refuse and they legally would have to wait for a search warrent.

Best to keep quiet about the video.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You all have answered my question. The police can confiscate but not legaly. So best policy is to not tell them you recorded anything. Let them find out from my lawyer.

I asume the cops could try to be clever and ask you to surrender it, then you can refuse and they legally would have to wait for a search warrent.

My go to legal guru (OCDO member User) says it this way: KYBMS = keep your big mouth shut!

OC for ME

You all have answered my question. The police can confiscate but not legally. So best policy is to not tell them you recorded anything. Let them find out from my lawyer.

I assume the cops could try to be clever and ask you to surrender it, then you can refuse and they legally would have to wait for a search warrant.

Please research "two party consent."

OC for ME

Two party consent does not apply when recording government officials and employees while performing their duties in an official capacity such as recording police while they are on the job.
Generalization. There may be situations where recording a cop doing his job would be a invasion of privacy.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Generalization. There may be situations where recording a cop doing his job would be a invasion of privacy.
I don't know of any case law that would support any situation of recording/taping a cop in the public performing his official duties. Do you know of any case law that does?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

OC for ME

I don't know of any case law that would support any situation of recording/taping a cop in the public performing his official duties. Do you know of any case law that does?
Define "public."

I want to record a cop, without his knowledge, interviewing me to be sure that unprofessional behavior is not manifest at a later date.

Alpine

That's a TV-show level of reality.

It's more probable they won't wait for a warrant, will assert "officer safety" and throw you on the ground, cuff you, search you, grab your device and sit there with your face in the dust while they do their best to wipe.

Trust me, remote streaming to a secure site is your best option.

Dave_pro2a

Police can do..... whatever the

tumblr_mqdvufl08E1sc9phbo1_400.gif

they want!

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Define "public."

I want to record a cop, without his knowledge, interviewing me to be sure that unprofessional behavior is not manifest at a later date.
In an one party your good to go. In a two party state the other party needs constructive notice.

Constructive notice is the legal fiction that signifies that a person or entity should have known, as a reasonable person would have, even if they have no actual knowledge of it.

Alpine

In an one party your good to go. In a two party state the other party needs constructive notice.

Constructive notice is the legal fiction that signifies that a person or entity should have known, as a reasonable person would have, even if they have no actual knowledge of it.

I thought SCOTUS ruled that there are no "two party" states for anything in the public domain?

Grim_Night

Below is a cite of applicable high court rulings affirming the individual right to recording police.

Since this is a Washington STATE subforum, I am ONLY talking about what is valid here in Washington State.

Define "public."

I'll make this clear...

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-police-officers-and-public-officials

Currently, the following U.S. Courts of Appeals have recognized the First Amendment right to record the police and/or other public officials:

First Circuit (with jurisdiction over Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico, and Rhode Island): see Glik v. Cunniffe, 655 F.3d 78, 85 (1st Cir. 2011) ("[A] citizen's right to film government officials, including law enforcement officers, in the discharge of their duties in a public space is a basic, vital, and well-established liberty safeguarded by the First Amendment."); Iacobucci v. Boulter, 193 F.3d 14 (1st Cir. 1999) (police lacked authority to prohibit citizen from recording commissioners in town hall "because [the citizen's] activities were peaceful, not performed in derogation of any law, and done in the exercise of his First Amendment rights[.]").

Seventh Circuit (with jurisdiction over Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin): see ACLU v. Alvarez, 679 F.3d 583, 595 (7th Cir. 2012) ("The act of making an audio or audiovisual recording is necessarily included within the First Amendment's guarantee of speech and press rights as a corollary of the right to disseminate the resulting recording.").

Ninth Circuit (with jurisdiction over Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, the Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, and Washington): see Fordyce v. City of Seattle, 55 F.3d 436, 438 (9th Cir. 1995) (assuming a First Amendment right to record the police); see also Adkins v. Limtiaco, _ Fed. App'x _, No. 11-17543, 2013 WL 4046720 (9th Cir. Aug. 12, 2013) (recognizing First Amendment right to photograph police, citing Fordyce).

Eleventh Circuit (with jurisdiction over Alabama, Florida and Georgia): see Smith v. City of Cumming, 212 F.3d 1332, 1333 (11th Cir. 2000) ("The First Amendment protects the right to gather information about what public officials do on public property, and specifically, a right to record matters of public interest.").

Since this is a Washington STATE subforum, I am ONLY talking about what is valid here in Washington State. Additionally, the RIGHT to record police as protected by the US Constitution's 1st Amendment doesn't even matter when you take into account that this 2 party consent does not apply when recording anyone that is in public and has NO "reasonable expectation of privacy".

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP So, you videoed the whole event. Will the police demand you turn over the camera and or video card?

I am not a lawyer.

I would expect the police to seize your camera as evidence. That is to say, I would expect the police to seize the recording itself as evidence. That's their job/function--collect evidence.

A book I read some years ago made a relevant point: whenever there is a shooting, government knows somebody committed a crime. Either, the shooter committed the crime. Or, the shot person committed a crime by attacking or threatening the shooter. Government may not know which person is the criminal, but it knows for sure somebody committed a crime.

And, a recording such as you described ("...the whole event...") would then necessarily contain evidence of a crime.

Instant seizure, I'm betting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Since this is a Washington STATE subforum, I am ONLY talking about what is valid here in Washington State. Additionally, the RIGHT to record police as protected by the US Constitution's 1st Amendment doesn't even matter when you take into account that this 2 party consent does not apply when recording anyone that is in public and has NO "reasonable expectation of privacy".
Your original comment/reply was very generic, none state specific. Wish that where posted was enough, but unfortunately it is not.

Grim_Night

Your original comment/reply was very generic, none state specific. Wish that where posted was enough, but unfortunately it is not.

Again, I point out that I LIVE in Washington STATE and I'm posting in the Washington STATE subforum. I unlike some others on these forums do not go to other state forums and post things that do not apply to that state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Again, I point out that I LIVE in Washington STATE and I'm posting in the Washington STATE subforum. I unlike some others on these forums do not go to other state forums and post things that do not apply to that state.

Sigh....you miss the point -there is no way to distinguish you from those that do.

Then there is the forum rule:
(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Back on point.
Here's the scenario:

You have to defend your self while out walking the dog (or whatever) and you have to defend your self. Whether you shot some one or not or an aggressive dog or not, you pulled the gun and the police have been called.

So, you videoed the whole event. Will the police demand you turn over the camera and or video card? Do you have to trust them not to "lose" it. Can I demand to make a copy or down load it to my computer before surrendering it?

I wear a small body camera when I OC and have wondered about this situation. I have felt in danger in off the leash dog situations on several occasions and pulled but not discharged my weapon. No police were called, in fact, as I kept the gun aside my thigh I do not think any one saw it on either occasion. The dogs were pit bulls and turned out to be friendly.
They can confiscate the camera. Can they legally copy it or watch it? Not without a warrant. Fourth Amendment.

Dealing with a case now where the cops seized a phone without a warrant. Motion to suppress was filed. The phone was immediately returned and the motion to suppress was withdrawn.