• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Member/brother needs your help

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Leader of the pack, friend to many, has seen better times, but wont ask for what he needs himself.

I am reminded of the statue and symbol of Father Flanagin's Boys Town = He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

You know what to do.

http://www.gofundme.com/ha477x2s

or

GoFundMe - Don’s medical bills

We have an angel (wishes to remain anonymous) who has come forward with a pledge equal to the amount GoFundMe charges.....at least for now.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don has lost 40 pounds since this malady first took over his life.

He just spent a week in Richmond Regional Memorial Hospital initially admitted for severe dehydration - he had reached the point where swallowing anything was all but impossible. Some of the best practitioners poked, prodded, tested and and shook their heads. No definitive diagnosis except the very general medical term, but rare Laryngotracheal stenosis .

He has suffered tubes in and out of his body and together with tracheal dilation (balloon) has been somewhat stabilized. He can for now manage small amounts of very soft food.

No specific corrective treatment has been determined yet. Waiting for pathology reports that may be of more help.

Lacking insurance coverage, he was sent home to wait.

twoskinsonemanns

I don't do business with gofundme since they decided to play politics and shut down the anit-gay cake baker's donation account.
is there a paypal or some other also set up?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

It seems to me that the link above is to air way problems, the trachea, larynx and epiglottis. ....

The technical, medical term, in Latin, for what he's got is he cannot swallow much of anything and it is slowly trying to kill him.

The technical, medical term, in Latin, for what's going on is he's a proud and stubborn SOB who does not want to rack up debts he cannot pay, which causes him to not get medical help when it is less than life threatening. And even then he tries to cut corners, cut costs, and check out as soon as he is no longer halfway across the threshold of Death's door.

The technical, medical term, in Latin, for what we are trying to do is cover his past bills and possibly even give him a cushion for what it's going to cost him for medical care until Medicaid, Medicare and/or Obamacare can kick in and pick up ongoing expenses.

It seems to me that this is not the time to get wrapped around the axle about which diagnosis it is or is not.

It's time to decide if you want to put some money in the pot, or to shut up if you decide not to.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't been on the internet much lately.
I have a routine of sites I check. A virginia hunting site and OCDO are always checked.
This morning I went on the hunting site and saw a post about helping....so I read it.

My reaction was a little out of character. I almost cried...ok, I admit it, almost my foot.

While in the hospital, the highlight of my days have been the visits from the best friends I've ever had. Grapeshot and Skid as well as others I only know by their real names.
Skidmark took a picture the other day and I figured it was for a good natured joke.
This was a shock.
I've been involved with helping out others. I never expected to be on this side of it.
I'm both humbled and proud to be associated with this group.

Thank you and not only for the site. The moral support and friendship I've gotten are worth more than gold.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perhaps the lyrics of the song He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother will say it better than I can.

Proud to be Don's friend.

DoubleTap

I haven't been on the internet much lately.
I have a routine of sites I check. A virginia hunting site and OCDO are always checked.
This morning I went on the hunting site and saw a post about helping....so I read it.

My reaction was a little out of character. I almost cried...ok, I admit it, almost my foot.

While in the hospital, the highlight of my days have been the visits from the best friends I've ever had. Grapeshot and Skid as well as others I only know by their real names.
Skidmark took a picture the other day and I figured it was for a good natured joke.
This was a shock.
I've been involved with helping out others. I never expected to be on this side of it.
I'm both humbled and proud to be associated with this group.

Thank you and not only for the site. The moral support and friendship I've gotten are worth more than gold.

Don, thoughts and prayers are with you for a healthy recovery (medically and financially). You are such a great guy who so graciously helps others in many different ways. What a blessing it is to those (you know and don't know!) to be able to "pay it forward" (like Grape and others have shared). Wishing you, Jane, and all of your family the best. Take care and good luck with everything. We'll be waiting for good news and look forward to seeing you out and about very soon.

Warmest regards, Diane

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Go fund me take a fairly good percentage off the top is there a direct account one could send a check

I'm asking Grapeshot to modify the OP to indicate that "an angel" will be making a direct donation to peter nap equal to the amount of the administrative fees GoFundMe charges.

We went with GoFundMe because it gives us the widest possible audience. Your concerns are legitimate but I wish you had expressed them first in a PM.

stay safe.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm asking Grapeshot to modify the OP to indicate that "an angel" will be making a direct donation to peter nap equal to the amount of the administrative fees GoFundMe charges.

We went with GoFundMe because it gives us the widest possible audience. Your concerns are legitimate but I wish you had expressed them first in a PM.

stay safe.
Done.

"We have an angel (wishes to remain anonymous) who has come forward with a pledge equal to the amount GoFundMe charges.....at least for now."

twoskinsonemanns

The technical, medical term, in Latin, for what he's got is he cannot swallow much of anything and it is slowly trying to kill him.

The technical, medical term, in Latin, for what's going on is he's a proud and stubborn SOB who does not want to rack up debts he cannot pay, which causes him to not get medical help when it is less than life threatening. And even then he tries to cut corners, cut costs, and check out as soon as he is no longer halfway across the threshold of Death's door.

The technical, medical term, in Latin, for what we are trying to do is cover his past bills and possibly even give him a cushion for what it's going to cost him for medical care until Medicaid, Medicare and/or Obamacare can kick in and pick up ongoing expenses.

It seems to me that this is not the time to get wrapped around the axle about which diagnosis it is or is not.

It's time to decide if you want to put some money in the pot, or to shut up if you decide not to.

stay safe.

your Latin needs work.
thanks for pm