Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Antis, anti childsafe??

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137

    Antis, anti childsafe??

    I just found this in my email an it took a moment to fathom just how stupidly these people act. I have supported locking up firearms not on your person, if you have small children in your AO. I have given away countless locks to anyone who needs one and I like the idea of NSSF kicking in a bunch of FRNs to support it.

    This I do not understand. Do they actually wish to shut down a program that will assist in saving curious children from injury? What is wrong with these people??(rhetorical)

    I am listed on their email list as NotTrue Thisis Alie

    Dear NOT TRUE,
    I was shocked to learn yesterday that the Department of Justice has awarded the gun lobby group NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) more than $2 million in grant money for its "Project ChildSafe" program.

    NSSF is headquartered in Newtown, Connecticut the site of one of the worst mass shooting tragedies in our nation's history. After 20 children and six adults were gunned down in their community, NSSF responded by accusing the surviving parents who called for stronger gun laws of "seeking to destroy the Second Amendment."

    There has been no bigger opponent of sensible gun reform than the National Shooting Sports Foundation. They have relentlessly lobbied against every single piece of legislation that would prevent children from obtaining unauthorized access to firearms, including Child Access Prevention laws and criminal penalties for adults whose weapons are obtained by minors.
    And they are no friend of the Obama administration, having accused the White House of being “willing to try virtually anything to pursue its gun control agenda in defiance of Congress and existing law.2.............yada................yada........ ...................yada........................... .Thank you for standing with us to prevent gun violence.
    Sincerely,
    Ladd Everitt
    Director of Communications
    Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 09-17-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: same old stuff, fat fingers
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Antis being antis. It's never been about "the children".
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 09-17-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    Regular Member Whitney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poulsbo, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    449

    Cut from the same cloth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I just found this in my email an it took a moment to fathom just how stupidly these people act. I have supported locking up firearms not on your person, if you have small children in your AO. I have given away countless locks to anyone who needs one and I like the idea of NSSF kicking in a bunch of FRNs to support it.

    This I do not understand. Do they actually wish to shut down a program that will assist in saving curious children from injury? What is wrong with these people??(rhetorical)

    I am listed on their email list as NotTrue Thisis Alie

    Dear NOT TRUE,
    I was shocked to learn yesterday that the Department of Justice has awarded the gun lobby group NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) more than $2 million in grant money for its "Project ChildSafe" program.

    NSSF is headquartered in Newtown, Connecticut the site of one of the worst mass shooting tragedies in our nation's history. After 20 children and six adults were gunned down in their community, NSSF responded by accusing the surviving parents who called for stronger gun laws of "seeking to destroy the Second Amendment."

    There has been no bigger opponent of sensible gun reform than the National Shooting Sports Foundation. They have relentlessly lobbied against every single piece of legislation that would prevent children from obtaining unauthorized access to firearms, including Child Access Prevention laws and criminal penalties for adults whose weapons are obtained by minors.
    And they are no friend of the Obama administration, having accused the White House of being “willing to try virtually anything to pursue its gun control agenda in defiance of Congress and existing law.2.............yada................yada........ ...................yada........................... .Thank you for standing with us to prevent gun violence.
    Sincerely,
    Ladd Everitt
    Director of Communications
    Coalition to Stop Gun Violence



    For the past fifteen years or so our legislature has attempted to pass educational gun safety programs for at risk youth, yet each attempt dies in committee or fails to otherwise pass muster.

    This attempted legislation is no different than teaching your children the stove is hot, don't touch. Why is it so hard to get this common sense legislation passed? To those gun prohibitionists who have adopted the vernacular “gun safety” I ask, “why not”? If it saves just one life isn't it worth it?


    House Bill 3090 2006 Regular Session; Sponsored by Representative Chase and Rep Dunn
    AN ACT Relating to firearms safety education programs adding a new section to chapter 28A.230 RCW. (COMPULSORY COURSEWORK AND ACTIVITIES)
    Read first time 01/19/2006. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.
    …..............................................
    House Bill 2168 2007 Regular Session; Sponsored by Representatives Chase, O'Brien, Williams, Haler, Warnick, McCune, Orcutt, Kretz, Ahern, Hudgins, Hasegawa, VanDeWege, Eickmeyer, Moeller and Sells
    Read first time 02/12/2007. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.
    ….............................................
    House Bill 2011 2009 Regular Session Sponsored by Representatives Chase, Orcutt, Herrera, Kristiansen, Campbell, Newhouse, Simpson, Kenney, Pearson, Klippert, Kretz, Cox, Hasegawa, Smith, Warnick, Sullivan, Morrell, Kelley, and Ormsby
    Read first time 02/06/09. Referred to Committee on Education.
    ….............................................
    House Bill 3100 2010 Regular Session Sponsored by Representatives Chase, Orcutt, Driscoll, Kessler, and Ormsby
    Read first time 01/25/10. Referred to Committee on Education.
    …...........................................

    House Bill 5660 2013 Regular Session Sponsored by Senators Chase, McAuliffe, Nelson, Kohl-Welles, and Conway
    Read first time 02/07/13. Referred to Committee on Early Learning & K-12 Education.
    …...........................................
    SENATE JOINT MEMORIAL 8006 2013 Regular Session Sponsored By Senators Chase, McAuliffe, Nelson, Kohl-Welles, Conway, and Parlette
    Read first time 02/07/13. Referred to Committee on Early Learning & K-12 Education.
    Promoting the use of the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program in preschools, early learning programs, and schools.


    .................

    ~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    The problem with mandating safe storage by law absolutely when it comes to children is that some tweens and older teens might actually be responsible enough and need access to a firearm to save their lives or their families lives.

    We've seen hundreds of news stories about it. Here are just a few:
    http://newsok.com/woman-stabbed-man-...rticle/5345087
    http://www.19actionnews.com/story/26...-stop-burglary
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/kendra-st-c...ry?id=17524438
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...der/55782484/1

    Very young children should not have unsupervised access to firearms, but imagine if in the above stories those kids were subjected to a law that deprived them of the ability to have access to firearms. They probably wouldn't be alive today.

    This is why laws are often bad ways to solve problems.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Antis being antis. It's never been about "the children".
    Quote of the century. I agree that if you have kids, you should lock up firearms and educate (if possible ) on the safety of the weapon.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    The problem with mandating....................................
    This is why laws are often bad ways to solve problems.
    Make the lock and the training available and people will go for it. Mandate that they MUST and they, and I will resist.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Make the lock and the training available and people will go for it. Mandate that they MUST and they, and I will resist.
    +1
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  8. #8
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    My kids (18 & 21) have access to my guns if they need them. I understand having limitations for little kids (under 13 +-). Also as a parent you know your child's maturity level, every person/kid is different.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  9. #9
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    My kids (18 & 21) have access to my guns if they need them. I understand having limitations for little kids (under 13 +-). Also as a parent you know your child's maturity level, every person/kid is different.
    http://www.openleafexcursions.com/wp...-outdoors1.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat-adventures-outdoors1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	12756
    There is a kid for you.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 09-17-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  10. #10
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    So cute, my kids want a few.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Just because the locks they are giving away are available at the PD I go in there OCing and request one.

    Having a lock is, under the appropriate circumstances, better than not having one. But the locks the local PD gives away can be broken by squeezing a loop of the metal-spiral cable (other than the loop built in). No need for pliers although that is easier on my soft and smooth hands.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    101
    The leftists don't care about safety or they would be donating to the NRA. The NRA had one of the best safety programs in the nation.

    It's all about control, fear, and emotion.
    Common sense isn't in the equation

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriona View Post
    I agree that if you have kids, you should lock up firearms and educate (if possible ) on the safety of the weapon.
    Every gun owner should assess his personal situation and store guns appropriately.

    I grew up in a home full of guns and not a safe to be found anywhere. Ditto most of my cousins.

    My parents and a total of 8 aunts and uncles grew up in homes with guns and no safes, trigger locks, etc.

    We all survived; never had an ND among all of us so far as I'm aware.

    EVERYONE I know grew up in homes where kitchen knives, electrical outlets, car keys, gasoline, household chemicals, and many OTC and Rx medications were all kept in conditions other than in a safe or otherwise secured from everyone.

    There are those whose situations strongly indicate that guns not in their immediate control should be locked up. There are those whose situations do require such measures. And I don't think the mere presence of children automatically makes the difference.

    I keep my guns locked up to prevent theft, NOT to prevent my children from accessing them.

    It would take a lot more effort for someone to hurt himself with my guns even if they were not locked up than to hurt himself with the Chlorine bleach and acidic toilet bowl cleaner kept in the mud room, or with gasoline stored for the lawn mower. I'm tired of people trying to impose much more strict storage rules on guns than they would accept for a dozen other common household items that might be every bit or even more dangerous.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •