• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Antis, anti childsafe??

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I just found this in my email an it took a moment to fathom just how stupidly these people act. I have supported locking up firearms not on your person, if you have small children in your AO. I have given away countless locks to anyone who needs one and I like the idea of NSSF kicking in a bunch of FRNs to support it.

This I do not understand. Do they actually wish to shut down a program that will assist in saving curious children from injury? What is wrong with these people??(rhetorical)

I am listed on their email list as NotTrue Thisis Alie

Dear NOT TRUE,
I was shocked to learn yesterday that the Department of Justice has awarded the gun lobby group NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) more than $2 million in grant money for its "Project ChildSafe" program.

NSSF is headquartered in Newtown, Connecticut the site of one of the worst mass shooting tragedies in our nation's history. After 20 children and six adults were gunned down in their community, NSSF responded by accusing the surviving parents who called for stronger gun laws of "seeking to destroy the Second Amendment."

There has been no bigger opponent of sensible gun reform than the National Shooting Sports Foundation. They have relentlessly lobbied against every single piece of legislation that would prevent children from obtaining unauthorized access to firearms, including Child Access Prevention laws and criminal penalties for adults whose weapons are obtained by minors.
And they are no friend of the Obama administration, having accused the White House of being “willing to try virtually anything to pursue its gun control agenda in defiance of Congress and existing law.2.............yada................yada...........................yada............................Thank you for standing with us to prevent gun violence.
Sincerely,
Ladd Everitt
Director of Communications
Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Last edited:

Whitney

Cut from the same cloth?

I just found this in my email an it took a moment to fathom just how stupidly these people act. I have supported locking up firearms not on your person, if you have small children in your AO. I have given away countless locks to anyone who needs one and I like the idea of NSSF kicking in a bunch of FRNs to support it.

This I do not understand. Do they actually wish to shut down a program that will assist in saving curious children from injury? What is wrong with these people??(rhetorical)

I am listed on their email list as NotTrue Thisis Alie

Dear NOT TRUE,
I was shocked to learn yesterday that the Department of Justice has awarded the gun lobby group NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) more than $2 million in grant money for its "Project ChildSafe" program.

NSSF is headquartered in Newtown, Connecticut the site of one of the worst mass shooting tragedies in our nation's history. After 20 children and six adults were gunned down in their community, NSSF responded by accusing the surviving parents who called for stronger gun laws of "seeking to destroy the Second Amendment."

There has been no bigger opponent of sensible gun reform than the National Shooting Sports Foundation. They have relentlessly lobbied against every single piece of legislation that would prevent children from obtaining unauthorized access to firearms, including Child Access Prevention laws and criminal penalties for adults whose weapons are obtained by minors.
And they are no friend of the Obama administration, having accused the White House of being “willing to try virtually anything to pursue its gun control agenda in defiance of Congress and existing law.2.............yada................yada...........................yada............................Thank you for standing with us to prevent gun violence.
Sincerely,
Ladd Everitt
Director of Communications
Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

For the past fifteen years or so our legislature has attempted to pass educational gun safety programs for at risk youth, yet each attempt dies in committee or fails to otherwise pass muster.

This attempted legislation is no different than teaching your children the stove is hot, don't touch. Why is it so hard to get this common sense legislation passed? To those gun prohibitionists who have adopted the vernacular “gun safety” I ask, “why not”? If it saves just one life isn't it worth it?

House Bill 3090 2006 Regular Session; Sponsored by Representative Chase and Rep Dunn
AN ACT Relating to firearms safety education programs adding a new section to chapter 28A.230 RCW. (COMPULSORY COURSEWORK AND ACTIVITIES)
Read first time 01/19/2006. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.
…..............................................
House Bill 2168 2007 Regular Session; Sponsored by Representatives Chase, O'Brien, Williams, Haler, Warnick, McCune, Orcutt, Kretz, Ahern, Hudgins, Hasegawa, VanDeWege, Eickmeyer, Moeller and Sells
Read first time 02/12/2007. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.
….............................................
House Bill 2011 2009 Regular Session Sponsored by Representatives Chase, Orcutt, Herrera, Kristiansen, Campbell, Newhouse, Simpson, Kenney, Pearson, Klippert, Kretz, Cox, Hasegawa, Smith, Warnick, Sullivan, Morrell, Kelley, and Ormsby
Read first time 02/06/09. Referred to Committee on Education.
….............................................
House Bill 3100 2010 Regular Session Sponsored by Representatives Chase, Orcutt, Driscoll, Kessler, and Ormsby
Read first time 01/25/10. Referred to Committee on Education.
…...........................................

House Bill 5660 2013 Regular Session Sponsored by Senators Chase, McAuliffe, Nelson, Kohl-Welles, and Conway
Read first time 02/07/13. Referred to Committee on Early Learning & K-12 Education.
…...........................................
SENATE JOINT MEMORIAL 8006 2013 Regular Session Sponsored By Senators Chase, McAuliffe, Nelson, Kohl-Welles, Conway, and Parlette
Read first time 02/07/13. Referred to Committee on Early Learning & K-12 Education.
Promoting the use of the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program in preschools, early learning programs, and schools.

~Whitney

Alpine

The problem with mandating safe storage by law absolutely when it comes to children is that some tweens and older teens might actually be responsible enough and need access to a firearm to save their lives or their families lives.

We've seen hundreds of news stories about it. Here are just a few:
http://newsok.com/woman-stabbed-man-shot-in-southeast-oklahoma-city-early-wednesday/article/5345087
http://www.19actionnews.com/story/26879752/15-year-old-helps-stop-burglary
http://abcnews.go.com/US/kendra-st-clair-oklahoma-girl-12-shoots-intruder/story?id=17524438
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-06-23/phoenix-teen-shoots-intruder/55782484/1

Very young children should not have unsupervised access to firearms, but imagine if in the above stories those kids were subjected to a law that deprived them of the ability to have access to firearms. They probably wouldn't be alive today.

This is why laws are often bad ways to solve problems.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
My kids (18 & 21) have access to my guns if they need them. I understand having limitations for little kids (under 13 +-). Also as a parent you know your child's maturity level, every person/kid is different.

Freedom1Man

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just because the locks they are giving away are available at the PD I go in there OCing and request one.

Having a lock is, under the appropriate circumstances, better than not having one. But the locks the local PD gives away can be broken by squeezing a loop of the metal-spiral cable (other than the loop built in). No need for pliers although that is easier on my soft and smooth hands.

stay safe.

travr6

The leftists don't care about safety or they would be donating to the NRA. The NRA had one of the best safety programs in the nation.

It's all about control, fear, and emotion.
Common sense isn't in the equation

utbagpiper

Banned
I agree that if you have kids, you should lock up firearms and educate (if possible ) on the safety of the weapon.

Every gun owner should assess his personal situation and store guns appropriately.

I grew up in a home full of guns and not a safe to be found anywhere. Ditto most of my cousins.

My parents and a total of 8 aunts and uncles grew up in homes with guns and no safes, trigger locks, etc.

We all survived; never had an ND among all of us so far as I'm aware.

EVERYONE I know grew up in homes where kitchen knives, electrical outlets, car keys, gasoline, household chemicals, and many OTC and Rx medications were all kept in conditions other than in a safe or otherwise secured from everyone.

There are those whose situations strongly indicate that guns not in their immediate control should be locked up. There are those whose situations do require such measures. And I don't think the mere presence of children automatically makes the difference.

I keep my guns locked up to prevent theft, NOT to prevent my children from accessing them.

It would take a lot more effort for someone to hurt himself with my guns even if they were not locked up than to hurt himself with the Chlorine bleach and acidic toilet bowl cleaner kept in the mud room, or with gasoline stored for the lawn mower. I'm tired of people trying to impose much more strict storage rules on guns than they would accept for a dozen other common household items that might be every bit or even more dangerous.

Charles