• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old leather and Ammo

Firearms Iinstuctor

Back in the late 70's Revolvers and leather duty gear was the norm. When I took my first LEO job it was with a rural 6 road deputy department .

I brought Bianchi leather duty gear I worn this until I left that dept. and move onward and upwards to a 500 man state LE agency.

The state agency supplied all the necessary gear that they, thought a officer needed. I went from revolver to a semi auto.

To present date during the last few months I been in the process of moving from a house I lived in for 34 plus years to another.

As I was packing one of closets up I found my old duty belt In the speed holder pouches were 3 Safariland comp two speed loaders. I carried HKS before that, the HKS are good tough and reliable loaders. But I found them to be a bit slower than the comp twos.

On a side note during my first police recruit school where I took top shot. One on the older instructors took exemption to my use of speed loaders saying it was cheating.

He didn't want to give me credit for the perfect 300 of 300 score I shot.

The leather and ammo had been hanging around for around about 30 years.

The leather looked really good and still functions like to should.

The nickel plated 357 mag handloads 125 gr jhps that I shot and carried with the small Dept. were a little tarnished but other wise looked just fine.

Back in those days with less concerns about liability one carried what one wanted.

So I buckled on the old leather after letting it out a couple of notches I am not a 150lb 20 something any more.

Dropped my stainless security six into its old holster and walked out the door to my range 100 feet away.

I drew the revolver grabbed a speed loader and proceeded to shoot all 18 rounds into the target. My speed loader skills have diminished some after decades of carrying a auto. I don't do 1 second reloads any more.

The leather, ammo, speed loaders and revolver all functioned as they should.

Some of the best values in good gear can be found on the used market just because it is older do not discount it if you are on a tight budget.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Back in the late 70's Revolvers and leather duty gear was the norm.

just because it is older do not discount it if you are on a tight budget.

The largest employer in my AO is the department of homeland security. This has allowed me to get quite a few "gun related" products at Goodwill. Pistol belts are expensive at retail, but under ten bucks at resale. Take a look at your local shop , you never know what you will find.

WalkingWolf

Back in those days with less concerns about liability one carried what one wanted.

I still carry what I want. I thought by now we with the help of our resident attorney had put this myth to rest. You are either justified, or you are not justified to use deadly force, end of story.

Lately I have been carrying a blue GP100 38 spl only with ivory insert grips. I carry in a Don Hume Jordan holster, loaded with 38/44 handloads. Six PC 138 grain wc traveling at 1200 fps the first six, twelve PC 38/44 158 grain swc on two speed loaders on the belt. One speed loader in the pocket with PC 38/44 158 swc at 1300fps in a pocket as woods back up.

I have never seen a case of a justified shooting where the shooter was convicted for carrying handloads.

PC=Powder coat
WC=Wadcutter
SWC=Semiwadcutter

38/44=Elmer Kieth high pressure 38 spl loads.

Clarifications added for the youngsters.

Bernymac

The largest employer in my AO is the department of homeland security. This has allowed me to get quite a few "gun related" products at Goodwill. Pistol belts are expensive at retail, but under ten bucks at resale. Take a look at your local shop , you never know what you will find.

I have tried to look for used gear at my local Goodwill, but alas, they are gun free zones. :banghead:

The Truth

I still carry what I want. I thought by now we with the help of our resident attorney had put this myth to rest. You are either justified, or you are not justified to use deadly force, end of story.

Lately I have been carrying a blue GP100 38 spl only with ivory insert grips. I carry in a Don Hume Jordan holster, loaded with 38/44 handloads. Six PC 138 grain wc traveling at 1200 fps the first six, twelve PC 38/44 158 grain swc on two speed loaders on the belt. One speed loader in the pocket with PC 38/44 158 swc at 1300fps in a pocket as woods back up.

I have never seen a case of a justified shooting where the shooter was convicted for carrying handloads.

PC=Powder coat
WC=Wadcutter
SWC=Semiwadcutter

38/44=Elmer Kieth high pressure 38 spl loads.

Clarifications added for the youngsters.

Those seem like pretty stout .38spl loads.

WalkingWolf

Those seem like pretty stout .38spl loads.

They are, but the GP100 38 spl is the same gun as the 357. They were built for contracts with governments, and security agencies. Everything is the same except for the depth of the chamber.

Before the 357, and even years after the 357 S&W built 38's on 44 frames, hence the 38/44 designation. The 38/44 is no longer a factory round because some fools decided to shoot it regularly out of small frame revolvers. I do know a detective who carried 38/44 in his J frame, but he only carried it, never target shot with it. Smiths back then were proofed to 50K cup, so a cylinder full was not likely to blow up his gun. He fired it once with the 38/44 in a hospital when a nut case took a nurse hostage, shot to the groin. The only thing that saved the nut was his being in the hospital, but it crippled him for life, the bung hole actually sued over it.

The Truth

The only thing that saved the nut

:lol::lol::lol: Which nut was it?

I've toiled over the thought of a .460V, .500 S&W Mag, 454 Casull and the likes, but my next pistol purchase will most definitely be a S&W 629 TALO 3". I've considered a Ruger Redhawk 2.75", but it'd have to be a killer deal for me to go Ruger instead of S&W. Slap on some WLW custom leather and the 629 may even be my new night time carry. I'm salivating, can ya tell?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I've toiled over the thought of a .460V, .500 S&W Mag, 454 Casull and the likes, but my next pistol purchase will most definitely be a S&W 629 TALO 3". I've considered a Ruger Redhawk 2.75", but it'd have to be a killer deal for me to go Ruger instead of S&W. Slap on some WLW custom leather and the 629 may even be my new night time carry. I'm salivating, can ya tell?

Guess the first clue.

file.php

WalkingWolf

He actually missed those, bullet went just above catching the lower end of the spine. He almost bled out, and would have if the same nurse did not work hard to save his life.

I love my Ruger, had a security six almost 40 years ago, sold it when I was issued a S&W. I loved the different S&W's I had years ago, but IMO the quality of S&W revolvers has dropped considerably.

Firearms Iinstuctor

It has been true for decades if one wants a gun that well shoot tons of heavy duty loads one shoots Rugers if you want a gun that is lighter for carry and don't plan on shooting a lot of heavy duty loads a Smith works very well.

I have both.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
........it'd have to be a killer deal for me to go Ruger ........

.....I love my Ruger.....

My EDC is a P85. Big truck of a gun, just a large slab of metal. I like it, hence EDC. Now I like guns, if there for sale, I want to buy them all. I just cannot afford the prices some people ask. They are quite proud of their weapons. So I hunt. A while back I found an old Ruger Blackhawk in .44 with a 7.5 barrel. Finish was badly speckled but restorable and for US$150 I jumped on it. Pawnshop, so I had to wait the thirty days for pickup, but the Sheriff got it first. Stolen. Oh well, too good to be true.

Success came to me this week when I purchased a little gun I had been watching at a pawnshop. A .44, 7.5 in, new model Super Blackhawk and a nice little carved holster. I am not embarrassed to report the purchase price of US$368 for the package (see comment above about killer deal). The most interesting part is......in the last twelve years I have been delayed on EVERY firearm purchase through an FFL. For some odd reason I passed in less than five minutes on both purchases of Ruger .44s. Maybe BATF does not like me buying smaller guns.

The Truth

Haha!

I've got nothing against Ruger. They are indeed built like tanks. There's just some aesthetically displeasing to me...can't quite figure it out. Can't say I'll never own own. Hopefully there's a .454 Casull down the road somewhere with my name on it.