• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 U.S. Code § 1752

rightwinglibertarian

I'm tracking the restrictions here in Seattle due to the Chinese presidents visit and have run across this nasty bit of federal code used to scare people away from areas the police and secret service have decided to block off. My point is two fold

1) This is being used to stop people from exercising their first Amendment rights not limited to but including copblocking and protesting and

2) I notice it states in black and white

(b) The punishment for a violation of subsection (a) is—
(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if—
(A) the person, during and in relation to the offense, uses or carries a deadly or dangerous weapon or firearm; or
(B) the offense results in significant bodily injury as defined by section 2118(e)(3); and
(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, in any other case.

So anybody OCing in a public area could get himself thrown in jail for 10 years simply for exercising a right. And how does one refute the idea polise and SS agents can close a public road off for 'security' at will?

mnrobitaille

I notice part of the issue with the visit of Chinese President Xi is that he's staying right in Downtown Seattle in a location that cannot be readily secured.

I have been following the tweets & Facebook posts of the Seattle media & where he is staying is a logistical nightmare. Considering the proximity to both Westlake Center & Pacific Place.

Here's a post from the Seattle Center Monorail:
"September 22 and 23, 2015: Because of a dignitary security concern, Seattle Center Monorail will operate with reduced service on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Monorail will depart from Westlake Center Station every 15 minutes. For example, the Monorail will depart at 7:30am, 7:45am, 8am, 8:15am, etc. The Monorail will operate from 7:30am-11:00pm. Passengers can expect to see a police presence at both Monorail Stations and police officers will be checking bags prior to passengers boarding the trains."

Also noticed the following: King County Metro Transit Alert

From what I've seen/read, they are using some form of Executive Powers/Orders to create the security zone, with little regard to those who live/work in that area.

rightwinglibertarian

I notice part of the issue with the visit of Chinese President Xi is that he's staying right in Downtown Seattle in a location that cannot be readily secured.

I have been following the tweets & Facebook posts of the Seattle media & where he is staying is a logistical nightmare. Considering the proximity to both Westlake Center & Pacific Place.

Here's a post from the Seattle Center Monorail:
"September 22 and 23, 2015: Because of a dignitary security concern, Seattle Center Monorail will operate with reduced service on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Monorail will depart from Westlake Center Station every 15 minutes. For example, the Monorail will depart at 7:30am, 7:45am, 8am, 8:15am, etc. The Monorail will operate from 7:30am-11:00pm. Passengers can expect to see a police presence at both Monorail Stations and police officers will be checking bags prior to passengers boarding the trains."

Also noticed the following: King County Metro Transit Alert

From what I've seen/read, they are using some form of Executive Powers/Orders to create the security zone, with little regard to those who live/work in that area.

Well.... as much as I object to the restrictions, it is certainly not total lockdown. He is at the Westin, which is right in downtown but for the most part traffic can get through with a small diversion and foot traffic is slightly better. Last night I caught them abusing Seattle Municipal Code. But today it had switched over to USC 18. I do have pictures of the situation but i'd rather wait to post them as I'd rather not get banned for advertising. Being outspoken, sure. It will happen eventually but not for advertising.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In order to secure more Chinese forebearance on American debt, the American fed and state government want to impress the Chinese that American government has a lot in common with the Chinese government?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP From what I've seen/read, they are using some form of Executive Powers/Orders to create the security zone, with little regard to those who live/work in that area.

In order to secure more Chinese forebearance on American government debt, the American fed and state government want to impress the Chinese that American government has a lot in common with the Chinese government?

Last edited:

notalawyer

I'm tracking the restrictions here in Seattle due to the Chinese presidents visit and have run across this nasty bit of federal code used to scare people away from areas the police and secret service have decided to block off. My point is two fold

1) This is being used to stop people from exercising their first Amendment rights not limited to but including copblocking and protesting and

2) I notice it states in black and white

So anybody OCing in a public area could get himself thrown in jail for 10 years simply for exercising a right. And how does one refute the idea polise and SS agents can close a public road off for 'security' at will?

You need to go back and actually read the law.

It has to be a knowing violation of entering into the restricted area....you're not just going to wander into a Secret Service restricted area on you afternoon walk.:banghead: