Thread: Police Problem ???

Police Problem ???

Question ?? If I'm conceal carrying and standing in my own living room, and talking too a Cudahy Cop and he knows in advance that I am Carrying, must I show him my ID if he ask as well as my CC permit as soon as I start talking to him ???

If yes, what fine am I looking at ???

175.60(2g)(c) Unless the licensee or out-of-state licensee is carrying a concealed weapon in a manner described under s. 941.23 (2) (e), a licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out-of-state licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her out-of-state license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.

941.23(2) Any person, other than one of the following, who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
    941.23(2)(e)
    (e) An individual who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (j), in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or legally occupies.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by range rat View Post
    Question ?? If I'm conceal carrying and standing in my own living room, and talking too a Cudahy Cop and he knows in advance that I am Carrying, must I show him my ID if he ask as well as my CC permit as soon as I start talking to him ???

If yes, what fine am I looking at ???
    I am not a lawyer.

First, the cop is gonna do whatever he feels like. You might be found not guilty in the end, but the cop will charge if he thinks you've violated his idea of the law.

With that out of the way, does your state's statute exclude CC in the home, business, etc? For example, 18.2-308 in VA makes CC generally illegal, but then lists out exceptions to that illegality, for example in one's own place of business. Does your state make some similar exception?

Separately, I imagine it might have something to do with whether you consented to the cop being in your living room, or whether he entered with probable cause despite your refused consent. Note that some cops are slick--they'll ask for consent even though they have probable cause--it reinforces their case, and makes it harder for your attorney to argue the cop didn't really have probable cause: arguing the cop didn't have probable cause or reasonable suspicion are off the table if you consented to the entry, search, seizure, etc.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I am not a lawyer.

First, the cop is gonna do whatever he feels like. You might be found not guilty in the end, but the cop will charge if he thinks you've violated his idea of the law.

With that out of the way, does your state's statute exclude CC in the home, business, etc? For example, 18.2-308 in VA makes CC generally illegal, but then lists out exceptions to that illegality, for example in one's own place of business. Does your state make some similar exception?

Separately, I imagine it might have something to do with whether you consented to the cop being in your living room, or whether he entered with probable cause despite your refused consent. Note that some cops are slick--they'll ask for consent even though they have probable cause--it reinforces their case, and makes it harder for your attorney to argue the cop didn't really have probable cause: arguing the cop didn't have probable cause or reasonable suspicion are off the table if you consented to the entry, search, seizure, etc.
    He was there too check up on my wife, because my Daughter called 911 on her.. But he new well in advance I was carrying because my wife told him before I got back home, and didn't ask too see my ID for at least 6 mins..

No need for a permit in your own home or on your own property.

No need to show ID one just can't lie about who he/she is.

If he has a legal reason to determine who you are you need to answer honestly lying is obstruction.

Saying nothing is not obstruction in Wis.

Officer can and well ask for ID in must situations because they can. Depending on the situation one might or might not need to produce one.

Driving a motor vehicle required to produce DL.

Walking down the street not required.

and we could go on and on.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 09-24-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

So, the answers are, in WI:

1. You are not required to inform Officer Friendly that you are armed while in your own home.

2. You can CC in your own home w/o a permit.

3. You do not have to produce/display permit while in your own home.

4. Correct?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    So, the answers are, in WI:

1. You are not required to inform Officer Friendly that you are armed while in your own home.

2. You can CC in your own home w/o a permit.

3. You do not have to produce/display permit while in your own home.

4. Correct?
    Correct
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do