Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Police Problem ???

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    325

    Police Problem ???

    Question ?? If I'm conceal carrying and standing in my own living room, and talking too a Cudahy Cop and he knows in advance that I am Carrying, must I show him my ID if he ask as well as my CC permit as soon as I start talking to him ???

    If yes, what fine am I looking at ???

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,280
    Quote Originally Posted by range rat View Post
    Question ?? If I'm conceal carrying and standing in my own living room, and talking too a Cudahy Cop and he knows in advance that I am Carrying, must I show him my ID if he ask as well as my CC permit as soon as I start talking to him ???

    If yes, what fine am I looking at ???
    I am not a lawyer.

    First, the cop is gonna do whatever he feels like. You might be found not guilty in the end, but the cop will charge if he thinks you've violated his idea of the law.

    With that out of the way, does your state's statute exclude CC in the home, business, etc? For example, 18.2-308 in VA makes CC generally illegal, but then lists out exceptions to that illegality, for example in one's own place of business. Does your state make some similar exception?

    Separately, I imagine it might have something to do with whether you consented to the cop being in your living room, or whether he entered with probable cause despite your refused consent. Note that some cops are slick--they'll ask for consent even though they have probable cause--it reinforces their case, and makes it harder for your attorney to argue the cop didn't really have probable cause: arguing the cop didn't have probable cause or reasonable suspicion are off the table if you consented to the entry, search, seizure, etc.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I am not a lawyer.

    First, the cop is gonna do whatever he feels like. You might be found not guilty in the end, but the cop will charge if he thinks you've violated his idea of the law.

    With that out of the way, does your state's statute exclude CC in the home, business, etc? For example, 18.2-308 in VA makes CC generally illegal, but then lists out exceptions to that illegality, for example in one's own place of business. Does your state make some similar exception?

    Separately, I imagine it might have something to do with whether you consented to the cop being in your living room, or whether he entered with probable cause despite your refused consent. Note that some cops are slick--they'll ask for consent even though they have probable cause--it reinforces their case, and makes it harder for your attorney to argue the cop didn't really have probable cause: arguing the cop didn't have probable cause or reasonable suspicion are off the table if you consented to the entry, search, seizure, etc.
    He was there too check up on my wife, because my Daughter called 911 on her.. But he new well in advance I was carrying because my wife told him before I got back home, and didn't ask too see my ID for at least 6 mins..

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    2,927
    No need for a permit in your own home or on your own property.

    No need to show ID one just can't lie about who he/she is.

    If he has a legal reason to determine who you are you need to answer honestly lying is obstruction.

    Saying nothing is not obstruction in Wis.


    Officer can and well ask for ID in must situations because they can. Depending on the situation one might or might not need to produce one.

    Driving a motor vehicle required to produce DL.

    Walking down the street not required.

    and we could go on and on.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 09-24-2015 at 08:13 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    11,106
    So, the answers are, in WI:

    1. You are not required to inform Officer Friendly that you are armed while in your own home.

    2. You can CC in your own home w/o a permit.

    3. You do not have to produce/display permit while in your own home.

    4. Correct?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    So, the answers are, in WI:

    1. You are not required to inform Officer Friendly that you are armed while in your own home.

    2. You can CC in your own home w/o a permit.

    3. You do not have to produce/display permit while in your own home.

    4. Correct?
    Correct
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •