• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry when stopping for gas ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You may be right in theory, but I can almost guarantee you will be harassed or stuffed and cuffed at the campgrounds around here in Florida. We walked the trail and swinging bridge from the bear lake campground, to the Krull lake campground to go to the Munson Heratage festival last year. Almost time for it again. I'm glad I was CC, because their were cops everywhere and according to the web site they can preempt Florida law and ban all firearms at the campground during the festival and suspend the camping open carry part of the law. The web page says it's the state banning all firearms!

http://www.munsonheritagefestival.com/home
Think that there is a major ka-ching in somebody's future there.

ADulay

I just sent an email to the "contact" (munsonfestival@yahoo.com) for the Munson festival to get a confirmation of the "State Park Law" that makes firearms illegal at their venue.

I report back when I get an answer.

AD

ADulay

I just sent an email to the "contact" (munsonfestival@yahoo.com) for the Munson festival to get a confirmation of the "State Park Law" that makes firearms illegal at their venue.

I'll report back when I get an answer.

AD

Got an email back. Here's the contents. I have called the person/number listed but got voice mail for the time being.

I did research a lot of the Florida Forest Service website but I don't see anything about firearms control there.

AD (it's not my spelling error, it's from THEIR side)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a Florida Forest Service rule that was given to the Festival. You will need to call the Florida Forest Service about this, there number is 850-957-5701 ask for David Creamer.

Marshall Fuqua
Chairman of the Munson Hertiage Festival
munsonfestival@yahoo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADulay

Got an email back. Here's the contents. I have called the person/number listed but got voice mail for the time being.

I did research a lot of the Florida Forest Service website but I don't see anything about firearms control there.

AD (it's not my spelling error, it's from THEIR side)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a Florida Forest Service rule that was given to the Festival. You will need to call the Florida Forest Service about this, there number is 850-957-5701 ask for David Creamer.

Marshall Fuqua
Chairman of the Munson Hertiage Festival
munsonfestival@yahoo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, as another update, I just got off the phone with the previously mentioned David Creamer from the Florida Forest Service and we had a very nice conversation about the Munson Festival "No Firearms" posting in the state park.

He said that he had told them that "several years ago" but it was no longer correct due to state preemption. (fs 790.33)

Evidently the Munson Festival is still posting that notice and it is NOT correct.

The conversation was very nice. Mr. Creamer evidently knows his business and his state firearms laws and he did mention the provisions for open carry also apply!

So, for those of you who wish to conceal carry at the Munson Festival, you are legal to do so.

AD

notalawyer

OK, as another update, I just got off the phone with the previously mentioned David Creamer from the Florida Forest Service and we had a very nice conversation about the Munson Festival "No Firearms" posting in the state park.

He said that he had told them that "several years ago" but it was no longer correct due to state preemption. (fs 790.33)

Evidently the Munson Festival is still posting that notice and it is NOT correct.

The conversation was very nice. Mr. Creamer evidently knows his business and his state firearms laws and he did mention the provisions for open carry also apply!

So, for those of you who wish to conceal carry at the Munson Festival, you are legal to do so.

AD

It had nothing to do with preemption (which was established in 1987 - statutorily at least, but it's existed in the Florida Constitution since it's inception.)

The specific statutes (790.11, 790.12, and 790.14) were repealed in 2006 (at the same time the legislature ordered DEP to change their regulations to comply with all Florida Statutes) so that instruction has to be at least 11 years old. :uhoh:

Last edited:

The Truth

It would be best to get Mr. Creamer to copy you in on an email to the Festival explaining the situation. IMO

notalawyer

It would be best to get Mr. Creamer to copy you in on an email to the Festival explaining the situation. IMO

Absolutely not needed.

The 'rules' have been clear since 2006 (actually 2009 when the DEP acknowledged what the law really said.)

Just because some festival has some outdated information on their four year old website, it not really a pressing matter for folks that actually know the law and ignore BS like this. :cool:

efriday

Thanks for your effort

AD

I will be hiking in several Florida state forests this winter , trying to earn my Trail Master patch. Thanks for your efforts.

The Truth

Absolutely not needed.

The 'rules' have been clear since 2006 (actually 2009 when the DEP acknowledged what the law really said.)

Just because some festival has some outdated information on their four year old website, it not really a pressing matter for folks that actually know the law and ignore BS like this. :cool:

Truth.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Absolutely not needed.

I would disagree - it perpetuates a falsehood that will be accepted by those not as knowledgeable as most here.

No erroneous information should be allowed. We educate, not ignore.