Thread: New reason to obtain Arkansas license to carry concealed handguns

Moderator / Administrator

New reason to obtain Arkansas license to carry concealed handguns

As most folks who follow the fascinating saga of the development of Arkansas' gun carry laws knows, no license is generally required to open carry or conceal carry a handgun in public. In fact, the Arkansas conceal carry statute does not set forth any penalty for carrying a concealed handgun without a license, and any effort to prosecute a person for carrying a concealed handgun without a license would be both (1) void for vagueness, and (2) violative of the rule of lenity.

Traditionally, there were two uses for the Arkansas license to conceal carry a handgun in public: (1) to carry concealed handguns in states forbid generally the concealed carry of handgun, but accept Arkansas' permit to conceal handguns; and (2) to immunize Arkansas concealed carry license holders from federal prosecution for carrying firearms within 1,000 feet of any K-12 school.

But now comes Faulkner County's effort to legalize concealed carry on County and Courthouse property for employees who hold an Arkansas' permit to conceal handguns.

See more at http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/...ealed-firearms

SNIP

FAULKNER COUNTY, Ark. - The Faulkner County Quorum Court is considering a new ordinance that would allow licensed county employees to carry a concealed handgun on county property as allowed under a new law passed in the 2015 legislative session, officials say.

. . .

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Pretty narrow benefit, and if I'm reading correctly one that only might exist in the future, if the ordinance passes.

I don't think encouraging Arkansans to obtain CCL right now is good thing, personally.
    Advocate freedom please

Employee carry might be a laboratory for public carry. Gun laws are like uncomfortable pants. You gotta keep loosening them if you want them to eventually fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by alquix View Post
    Employee carry might be a laboratory for public carry. Gun laws are like uncomfortable pants. You gotta keep loosening them if you want them to eventually fall off.
    If my pants are on fire and my life is in danger I'd probably be looking for the shears...IMO
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Pretty narrow benefit, and if I'm reading correctly one that only might exist in the future, if the ordinance passes.

I don't think encouraging Arkansans to obtain CCL right now is good thing, personally.
    I was trying to highlight the narrow need for a permit to conceal in Arkansas, currently a constitutional carry state.