• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to open carry in my car.

km34

I open carry and i hope i can get some answers....i get different answers who i talk to ..State trooper,sheriff or city police.This is my questions how do i carry my handgun in my car can it have the clip in it or not.Next question if i`m on my property i heard i can have it concealed ....even if i not have a concealed permit .I just wanna know what i have to do so i carry my gun legally .I`m new here and i hope someone can help me out.Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I open carry and i hope i can get some answers....i get different answers who i talk to ..State trooper,sheriff or city police.This is my questions how do i carry my handgun in my car can it have the clip in it or not.Next question if i`m on my property i heard i can have it concealed ....even if i not have a concealed permit .I just wanna know what i have to do so i carry my gun legally .I`m new here and i hope someone can help me out.Thanks!
First welcome to OCDO.

We never recommend asking a LEO about the law - lots of very good reasons.

Presuming you are not otherwise restricted, yes you can carry on your own property CC or OC w/o a permit as well as loaded in a vehicle

An excellent source of information regarding Kentucky gun laws may be found here.

BTW - very few handguns have clips. They are magazines. :)

travr6

You are lucky to be in ky. It is a constitutional open carry state.
What the others have said is accurate.

Basically without a ccdw permit you can have a loaded firearm anywhere in your car or on your person as long as it is visible. You can also have it in any factory installed box like center console or glove box.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Nothing to add here except to say Hello and Welcome. I too am in the Madisonville area. Stop in at the Gun Counter at Rural King and say hi. -Bill