• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC For National Guard At Nicholasville Waffle House

Liberty4Ever

Who would have thought that a Waffle House in Kentucky would refuse to serve anybody for openly carrying a firearm? I'd have been more likely to think that being armed would be a requirement, sort of like the "No shirt, no shoes, no service" rule, or finer dining establishments requiring that gentlemen wear a jacket and tie. But apparently the owner of several central Kentucky Waffle House restaurants, including at least some in Lexington, has a no guns policy but doesn't post any signs so they don't get the lost business from Kentuckians who object to their disarmament policy. The story is getting a bit of national attention and they may be getting some push back against their no guns policy.

http://www.lex18.com/story/30134712/restaurant-refuses-service-to-soldier-for-carrying-firearm

If you'd like to provide some kind and respectful feedback t the owner of these Waffle House locations....

http://www.wafflehouselex.com/#!location/c14xr

Liberty4Ever

Given that the owner of the Waffle House locations chooses not to post signs warning people of their disarmament policies, I think I'll head over the the 2A Friend Or Foe site and enter all of those Waffle House locations and designate them as Foes of the right to keep and bear arms.

http://friendorfoe.us

Unit 654
2203 N. Broadway
Lexington, Ky 40505

Unit 1055
3040 Lakecrest Circle
Lexington, KY 40513

Unit 1099
1012-A Georgetown Rd.
Lexington, KY 405111

Unit 1142
1034 N. Main Street
Nicholasville, KY 40356

Unit 1334
1912 Plaudit Place
Lexington, KY 40509

Unit 1375
3601 A Walden Drive
Lexington, KY 40517

Unit 1408
2740 Richmond Rd
Lexington, KY 40504

Unit 1565
859 South Broadway
Lexington, KY 40504

Unit 107
2340 Bueno Vista Rd
Lexington, KY 40505

Unit 505
1943 Stanton Way
Lexington, KY 40511

Unit 531
5548 Athens-Boonesboro Rd
Lexington, KY 40509

Unit 572
2 Carol Rd
Winchester, KY

Unit 1894
608 N. Maysville Rd
Mt. Sterling, KY

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Given that the owner of the Waffle House locations chooses not to post signs warning people of their disarmament policies, I think I'll head over the the 2A Friend Or Foe site and enter all of those Waffle House locations and designate them as Foes of the right to keep and bear arms.
Really do not want such signs - they perpetuate the wrong message.

Liberty4Ever

All Waffle Houses are owned by the same entity - East Coast Waffles and there are no franchises.

They do not enforce the old No Guns rule/policy on customers.

I read the post you referenced. Did you read the article from my link at WLEX, or watch the video? Unless the National Guard soldier and the young woman who was also in the Nicholasville Waffle House are lying, then apparently at least the Nicholasville Waffle House DOES enforce a no gun policy. They asked a soldier in uniform to leave for carrying a pistol.

Really do not want such signs - they perpetuate the wrong message.

I'm not advocating for Waffle House to post gun free zone signs. What I'd like them to do is respect the right to keep and bear arms, as clearly described in the second amendment in our United States Constitution (aka The Bill of Rights) and as clearly described in section one of our Kentucky Constitution. Barring that, I'd like for them to respect local customs and community sensibilities as many national and regional restaurant chains do. The worst possibility is what they're doing in Nicholasville where they have a no gun policy and enforce it but do not let people know of their gun free zone disarmament policy until after they are caught violating their policy.

I guess it could be worse. They could do as the Hamburg Pavilion Barnes & Noble did when they had an unposted gun free zone policy and rather than asking a man who was openly carrying a pistol while eating in their cafe to leave, they called the Lexington police, so the guy looks up to see six police officers responding to a Man With A Gun call, and then he's forced to identify himself, he's treated as a criminal, and the next time he's pulled over for anything there is probably a note that pops up telling the police officer that he was carrying a loaded gun in the Lexington Barnes & Noble.

If you haven't watched the video for the Nicholasville Waffle House incident, please do. Considering it's a TV news report, it does a good job of conveying the sentiments of those involved and I think it's a fair representation of the disappointment of the community, and particularly the disappointment of typical Waffle House customers. I'm sure a lot of people carry concealed weapons in the central Kentucky Waffle House restaurants. I know I sure do. If their policy is to eject people for openly carrying a pistol, then even without a Gun Free Zone sign, I'll respect their super secret disarmament policy and I'll take my money to a Huddle House, IHOP, Shoney's, Frisches, Bob Evans, etc.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I read the post you referenced. Did you read the article from my link at WLEX, or watch the video? Unless the National Guard soldier and the young woman who was also in the Nicholasville Waffle House are lying, then apparently at least the Nicholasville Waffle House DOES enforce a no gun policy. They asked a soldier in uniform to leave for carrying a pistol.
--snipped--
Not saying that there aren't some off base managers, but if people that have a problem don't go up the food chain to resolve the issue - then the bad decision will stand. Action beats inaction.

solus

throwing the BS flag...

carrying his personal firearm (as shown with the uncle mike's crappy holster) while in military uniform??

if he is carrying a sidearm, while in uniform, there has to be orders on his person authorizing this fact for the accomplishment of his official duties, normally with official notification on his shoulder identifying his is under orders to have the said sidearm. Then, if he is under orders, he has the same privileges as an on duty LE.

so the BS flag is flying for this savant who better be careful his 15 minutes of fame doesn't run afoul of his superiors and the UCMJ.

ipse

Liberty4Ever

throwing the BS flag...

carrying his personal firearm (as shown with the uncle mike's crappy holster) while in military uniform??

if he is carrying a sidearm, while in uniform, there has to be orders on his person authorizing this fact for the accomplishment of his official duties, normally with official notification on his shoulder identifying his is under orders to have the said sidearm. Then, if he is under orders, he has the same privileges as an on duty LE.

so the BS flag is flying for this savant who better be careful his 15 minutes of fame doesn't run afoul of his superiors and the UCMJ.

ipse

I don't know much of anything about military procedures, but it did seems a bit odd to me that he was apparently carrying a personal firearm while in uniform, but it doesn't matter to me what clothes he's wearing. In my eyes, his clothing and his job confer no greater or lesser rights. I generally extend respect to everyone assuming that it's justified until they prove otherwise.

I assumed he was in uniform because he was on his way to or from his National Guard training.

I hope this young man isn't in any trouble with his superiors in the National Guard. He was asked to leave and he did so without any fuss. The young woman was offended on his behalf and she's apparently the one who popularized this incident on that social disease that we know as Facebook. Apparently they both were contacted by the TV station and they did return to the parking lot to do the interview to get their "15 minutes of fame".

solus

I don't know much of anything about military procedures, but it did seems a bit odd to me that he was apparently carrying a personal firearm while in uniform, but it doesn't matter to me what clothes he's wearing. In my eyes, his clothing and his job confer no greater or lesser rights. I generally extend respect to everyone assuming that it's justified until they prove otherwise.

I assumed he was in uniform because he was on his way to or from his National Guard training.

I hope this young man isn't in any trouble with his superiors in the National Guard. He was asked to leave and he did so without any fuss. The young woman was offended on his behalf and she's apparently the one who popularized this incident on that social disease that we know as Facebook. Apparently they both were contacted by the TV station and they did return to the parking lot to do the interview to get their "15 minutes of fame".

there is no presumption ~ he freely admits he was in uniform and the fact is stated in the article...and he says i don't feel comfortable w/o MY firearm.

hopefully his superiors, when they discuss this with the young soldier, feel the same about his national attention and his blatant disregard for military regulations.

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I remember that thread, Grapeshot. How do you reconcile your statement that all Waffle Houses are owned by East Coast Waffles with the name and address in this link from the OP.

http://www.wafflehouselex.com/#!location/c14xr

I am not arguing, I don't know. I just would like to hear an explanation. It does appear from the information in the "Contact Us" tab of that link that these WH's are owned by LexiDan Foods, 2901 Richmond Rd, Suite 130-332, Lexington, Ky. The careers tab says that employment resumes are to be sent to:
LexidanCareers@Gmail.com.

Today, I went by the two WH's in my hometown and checked for signs. The standard WH sign was posted on both of them. Here is a picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7qeD3iohbX2OXNtMmlqaHl5UHc/view?usp=sharing

I don't go to any of them because of the signs. Why would they keep the signs up if they don't enforce the policy? They would still have the right to refuse service to anyone without them. Why alienate such a large group of potential customers? It doesn't make sense to me. I've heard of businesses that wanted to have things both ways, but this kind of "both ways" seems like the "wrong way" to me. They antagonize gun owners while still allowing guns, which has the potential to antagonize a different group. Instead of trying to make both sides happy(which is what most places try to do with "have it both ways" policies), they end up making both sides unhappy. I don't get it. Most of us will never know that they claim to allow guns. We just stop patronizing them when we see the signs? Are the WH's in your area still posted with the corporate signs?
I don't try to reconcile it - I just pass on what information I have from corporate.

The "standard sign" is at the rear of the buildings - I maintain that they are there for vendors and employees. Customers do no use that door. Yes, all WH I have seen as so posted.

Why they don't remove such signs? Haven't a clue, but I am working on that.

Just when everything indicates that there are no franchises, this pops up.
https://www.businessreport.com/arti...enings-year-renovation-college-drive-location

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If you carried your gun like Waffle House's Hash Browns "Scattered, Smothered, and Covered" management and customers would never see it.:monkey:banana:

Did I brake a forum rule?????

Liberty4Ever

A friend and I are meeting today at the Georgetown Road Waffle House in Lexington for dinner. If there's no sign, I plan on openly carrying a pistol and I believe my friend will do the same. If there is a sign, I'll go in (not openly carrying a pistol) and ask about the policy, as there is some online controversy about whether the policy applies to customers or employees, whether the policy is enforced, etc. If we're welcome without being disarmed, we'll have dinner there. If not, we'll eat elsewhere.

If they have signs they don't enforce or a disarmament policy and no sign, in either case for some attempt at "have your cake and eat it too" customer relations, then I'll respectfully express my opinion to hopefully help them understand the difficult position they're forcing on their customers.

As always, it's their business and they can set any policies they like. I just don't think being hostile to gun rights makes much sense if you're Waffle House in the the south eastern US. It seems like a good way to run off a lot of your customers to me. It might be a policy that would be appreciated by customers in a Starbucks in Massachusetts, but not a Waffle House in Kentucky.

solus

As far as the OP carrying a gun while in uniform goes. That was fully discussed after the shooting at the military recruiting offices in Chattanooga a few months ago. There were demands that the General Assembly pass laws that would allow allow our National Guardsmen to carry. Governor Beshear said that was unnecessary because they were already authorized to carry. There might be some problems with OC while in uniform, but the CO's could and were told to accommodate Guardsmen as much as possible.[/SIZE]

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/jul/22/kentucky-enhance-security-national-guard-bases-and-recruitment-offices/315976/

quote: Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear has issued an executive order authorizing Adjutant Gen. Edward Tonini to enhance security at state National Guard facilities and recruiting stations...unquote

ah and the governor also decreed WH is now a NG facilities/recruiting stations?

ipse

Liberty4Ever

At a minimum, I think that there is some "confusion" on what the gun policy actually is at Waffle House. I, for one, will rely on the printed words on their signs and emails, not on the unsubstantiated rumors and self serving statements of their onsite managers that are at best, contradictory.

I met my friend Ken at the Lexington Waffle House on Georgetown Road for dinner tonight. The official corporate sign that clearly states "Firearms are prohibited" was posted on the front of the building, although not close to the door where it's likely to be seen. It was approximately nine feet above the ground, and on the far end of the building, about 25 feet from the door. We respected their posted policy. We went to Taco Bell for dinner. We were both carrying openly at Taco Bell. Then we went shopping at Costco, and we were openly carrying there as well, despite the nastiness at the Costco in California a few years ago. This is Kentucky and the vast majority of people don't care if you're armed or not.. even in Leftington, the anti-gun capital of a pro-gun state.

I think the "confusion" over the Waffle House anti-gun policy that gutshot mentions is probably a deliberate attempt to have their anti-gun policy but not offend their customers. It may be driven by an anti-gun insurance company, but that's of little consequence to me. I'm still surprised that Waffle House is anti-gun, but now that I know I'll go out of my way not to eat at a Waffle House. There are plenty of places to eat where my unalienable rights are respected.

Anyone want to have another OC brunch at Cracker Barrel?

Liberty4Ever

Cracker Barrel locally is anti OC. :(

That's a shame. We have a couple of Cracker Barrel restaurants that are on the I-75 and I-64 crossroads. The I-75 traffic in particular brings a lot of people into the Cracker Barrel that are from places like Massachusetts and New Jersey. They get a bit of an education when they see the locals well armed. They probably think that only the police and criminals have guns, so the open carry experience sends a good message.

rightwinglibertarian

Not saying that there aren't some off base managers, but if people that have a problem don't go up the food chain to resolve the issue - then the bad decision will stand. Action beats inaction.

which is exactly why I will be targeting them from my news page. Of all the revolting ways to treat a soldier :mad:

Sir Diealotz

I eat at Cracker Barrel much more often than that and have yet to see any "No Guns" signs on any of them. I have heard rumors that they are anti gun now, but I have seen no signs saying so and have never been asked to leave the many different Cracker Barrel's that I have OC'ed into. I guess I'll just wait until at least one of those things happens to condemn them.

I've been to several different Cracker Barrel restaurants in Kentucky and have never been asked to leave.